Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SonicEinstein46
Follower
Follower

Either I have some settings wrong, or these cameras are junk.

Example- Get notification for front driveway camera, video shows reflection from lights or a car that is driving on the street on a car in my driveway.  The car in my driveway leaves a bit later, but the cameras dont pick it up.  I later get a notification from the same camera, but literally nothing in the video moves.
How does a whole car leave a driveway and not get sensed, but a leaf or something blows across and it gets recorded?

Also, why do my cameras start recording when a subject is almost out of the frame?!  I have adjusted sensitivity, but the difference between what and when it senses movement is not at all consistent or reasonable.  These are beginning to piss me off

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One aspect here is that the camera's PIR sensors are more sensitive to side-to-side motion (across the field of view). Objects that stay in the field of view are less likely to be detected.

There is some advice on the best camera positioning here: https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

SeanSh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was just looking to see if anyone else was having this issue.  I just can't seem to get the sensitivity right on these things.  My front yard camera will pick up cars driving by in the street around 30 feet away with the sensitivity all the way down to 30% but won't pick up a group of 10 year-olds walking up into my yard to shout at my Halloween decorations 12 feet directly in front of the camera with the sensitivity set to 75% (yes, this is a thing that happened.)  And throughout the day, I get notification after notification of videos recorded with absolutely no visible movement, even with the sensitivity at 30%.  My cameras are Arlo Pro 2 running on battery.

Base Station VMB4000r3 Firmware: 1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd

Cameras Arlo Pro 2: Hardware: H4 Firmware: 1.125.13.0_31717

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Generally I've had better results dealing with this when I move the camera position than I get by adjusting sensitivity.

The motion detection works best with side-to-side motion in the field of view.  There are some tips here: https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation