Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
Create create new motion zones with app update release today. I get an orange banner saying user request invalid.

Also the new update wiped out my current motion zones.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo engineering team is aware of an issue with creating Activity Zones and is working on a resolution. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
brh
Master
Master

@Eric182

Did you delete the app and reinstall it? From my understanding of the release notes, that is what the release note asked people to do.

Brian

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
I dont see anything saying that in the Apple App Store. Where did you see that? Link?
brh
Master
Master

Sorry, Eic, since you did not say what mobile device you were using I assumed you were using an android device, as the only app update mentioned in the Release Notes part of this site only mentioned an android update yesterday. It does not say anything about an ios update, so if you are using an apple device, disregard my previous post. Maybe JamesC will inform us later if there was indeed an ios app update.

Brian

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
The issue isn't whether or not there was an iOS update. I know that there was. Because I just updated it from the Apple App Store.

The issue is that I can no longer create motion zones after the update. I get an orThean The issue is that I cannot create motion zones. I get an orange error banner at the top of the app when I try to do so.
brh
Master
Master

@JamesC

Do you know anything about a new update for the ios system and how this gentleman can resolve his problem?

Brian

mrbenl
Apprentice
Apprentice

The database crashed yesterday and was restored late last night but ever since I also lost zones I had set up, still can not create new ones and the alarm is missing as a device, so I say the database still has problems and I have logged on by multiple PC's not mobile.

😞

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo engineering team is aware of an issue with creating Activity Zones and is working on a resolution. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

GregCh
Initiate
Initiate

This is really annoying because now I get notifications every minute instead of when I actually need/want them. Do we have an idea how soon it will be resolved? My phone cannot get this many notifications and stay charged for long.

hobgoblin2001
Guide
Guide
Same here - what with wireless cams eating batteries all of a sudden this has frankly become ridiculous. My initial enthusiasm for Netgear products is now all but drained - even had to warn off friends & relatives I’d recommended system to. Luckily only one had spent cash but returning for refund as just too buggy for the job. Very poor performance all round.
Blue_Mallard
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, this is from an app update but I still can't set zones via the web browser!? It's a good thing I bought the extra warranty from Best Buy because this system is not useable for me without the zones. I'm giving it one more day and then it goes back to the store and I start over with a hard wired system like I should have in the first place. Also, one of my cameras is freezing up and recording audio (but frozen video) in a loop for a long time, like three hours, fives hours etc. This system worked great for a while, now it's showing major signs of weakness and I paid WAY too much for that to happen within three months. Mac, Iphone.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Well first they broke it and then they took the weekend off so maybe today they fix it
orangealum
Star
Star
Can I get notification from Netgear when the activity zone bug be fix?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm sure youll be able to see lots of such posts here.

danheinz
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Arlo...any ETA on a fix pls?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
The way these Netgear Engineers s work. It could be months before they fix it .but I hope not, their record of fixing things is not good
devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

This should not be marked as SOLVED. I still can't create new activity zones. It's been at least a week already. Why can't NETGEAR give us an ETA, or at least promise to let us know the moment the issue is fixed so we can set up our systems ASAP (rather than having to visit this thread for updates)? I have several cameras turned off because of this bug. 

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am the original poster of this topic. The reason I marked it as solved is because I got an answer to my question as to why I cannot create motion zones anymore. My problem was not related to not being able to create motion zones, but rather my problem was not being able how to figure out why. .

The answer was that netgear messed something up and they are supposedly working on it. That solve my problem as to not knowing why.

Fixing the issue of not being able to create a motion zone is a whole other problem that has yet to be marked as solved.

RicKEYWEST
Aspirant
Aspirant
Bought the system last Friday and returned it for refund today after connecting to AC power and discovering that I cannot set up activity zones because of the software problem. Not until after talking to a Netgear technician this morning that said they had no idea when the problem would be resolved and that he understood and respected my decision for returning the product for a refund. I am so disappointed because I really like many of the features, but cannot live without being able to set activity zones. I may consider Arlo again in the future once more of the bugs are worked out.
GOJJGO
Guide
Guide

If you are using Google Chrome, clearing your cache, all of it, fixes this problem and lets you once again utilize motion zones.  Yeah!!  Smiley LOL

mrbenl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Finally working again for me using Chrome on the PC without deleting cookies or history... Whew.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

I just tried deleting the camera altogether, and then repairing from scratch. For some reason, after repariing it showed the previous zones I had created earlier. I tested them to see if they were working properly, but they weren't. I deleted them and then recreated them, and went to the mode setting to make sure the camera was set to record only if motion or sound was detected in the zones, but alas, it continues to ignore the boundaries of the zones. Problem persists under Safari and IOS for me.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry, double post (Arlo website's fault, though).

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

UPDATE: I accessed the Arlo website to check on the cameras and when I went into the settings I noticed there was a discrepancy between the zones I had created in the IOS app on an ipad and the zones displayed on the website app. They were exactly the same size, but they were both shifted to the right of the screen a good amount. I resized them and saved them within the website app to see if this fixes something.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

UPDATE 2: just in case the sound detection was the culprit, I turned it off so the camera should only record when motion is detected within the activity zones. The problem persists. Any motion outside the zones will trigger an alert, even after replacing the zones to their proper locations. I will be forced to turn my camera off again until NETGEAR really fixes this issue. I wish they would provide an ETA so people dont have to waste their time trying things out whenever someone posts their zones started working again for them.

Discussion stats