Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Multiple Pro 2 Cameras - Erratic recording times

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Downunda
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think this is a complex issue so I’ll put it as simply as I can… I have four Arlo Pro 2 Cameras installed along the front of our home. Each camera has an Arlo solar panel which maintains the battery charge. At night each camera is set to record for 60 seconds upon detection of motion. However, it seems that if a second camera is triggered within 60 seconds of the first camera then the recording times are screwed up. For example camera one might have a recording of 23 seconds in length and the second for 35 seconds perhaps. There doesn’t seem to be any consistent pattern. I have a USB stick installed on the Base Station and when I’ve cross checked videos from the same cameras (at the same times) the recordings there are slightly longer than those from the cloud storage but only by about 8-10 seconds longer. Is this a Base Station limitation, a WiFi limitation or an issue of my poor broadband speed? Has anyone else a similar problem?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Poor upload speed is a likely cause where multiple devices are uploading at once. You can try using the Optimized or Best Battery Life settings for video quality (it reduces the resolution hence the data rate/size) if you need. The spec is for at least 1Mbps upload but a Pro 2 set on Best quality will peak out at 1.5Mbps all by itself. There's an FAQ here that has approximate data rates for the various cameras.  Lack of upload bandwidth can cause the upload per camera to fail.

Downunda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, I susopected that my poor network connection might be the problem... I am expecting an upgrade later this year so I can confirm if that is definitely the cause then.

Steve3288
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it happened to me too. It recorded 1-3 hours but run only 15 seconds. I called Netgear several times and no one can help. They told me someone from IT will call me back. I really regretted and very disappointed about their level of service and products. Keep away!!!!!!!!!!!!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation