Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Recording Locally

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JoshExaminer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have read a lot of forums posts about this, but am still confused.

Say I have the Free Plan.

With the Arlo Pro 2, if I keep it plugged into a power cord, can I do Continous Recording locally to the USB drive on the base station, without a plan? 

Since it's only locally, not the cloud.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

No, you need a CVR subscription to get continuous recording.

With the power cord plugged in, you get 3 second lookback (3 seconds of video before the motion detection event) and also motion zones.

When you have CVR, it's only CVR to the cloud. Your backup USB drive only records motion event videos

JoshExaminer
Aspirant
Aspirant
Got it. Okay.

Now what about the Arlo Q Plus, since it has a built in SD card slot, can that one do CVR for free?

Thanks
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. CVR is an optional subscription. No Arlo camera has the ability to use the SD card for CVR or similar.

JoshExaminer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh wow, so the software blocks the SD Card in the Arlo Q Plus, from being utilized, unless you have a CVR Plan? Interesting 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The SD card will make a backup of motion events but won't record continuously

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're reading into things. CVR and motion recordings are two separate things. The SD card will record the same videos as are available in the library. CVR is not recorded locally in any situation and is available only from the server if you have the CVR subscription.

JoshExaminer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand. I'm noting the software blocks you from recording 24/7 locally on the SD card, unless you buy a CVR plan.

Our own SD Card does not use their cloud nor cost Netgear anything. Netgear could unlock that feature and allow us to record 24/7 to our own SD card. No, it would not be to the cloud like a CVR plan, but would still be 24/7 recording locally. 

Anyhow, so what about the motion alert recording length. I heard you can increase the length of the recording to a fixed time. Does that apply to the free motion alert plan?  We can set how long it continues to record when motion is detected? 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@JoshExaminer wrote:

I understand. I'm noting the software blocks you from recording 24/7 locally on the SD card, unless you buy a CVR plan.

Our own SD Card does not use their cloud nor cost Netgear anything. Netgear could unlock that feature and allow us to record 24/7 to our own SD card. No, it would not be to the cloud like a CVR plan, but would still be 24/7 recording locally. 

Anyhow, so what about the motion alert recording length. I heard you can increase the length of the recording to a fixed time. Does that apply to the free motion alert plan?  We can set how long it continues to record when motion is detected? 

Even if you buy a CVR plan, you cannot record continuously to the SD card

If you set a fixed recording time for motion activation, you can choose anywhere from 10-120 seconds. This is irrespective of the subscription plan you're on

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are no limitations placed on the free plan other than the number of days videos are available from the cloud. Edit your modes to change the recording length and any other settings. There are FAQs here to read for full details but quickly use the Mode tab, click on your base and edit your modes (Armed by default). I'd recommend creating your own custom modes for complete control. Be sure to save as you go.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation