Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Piano-Man
Star
Star
I read an article on the website this morning stating that Arlo are now a separate company from Netgear and there is a new Arlo app, which we must install otherwise we lose access to the Arlo system after the 30th September. The new app apparently launched on 26th August, or thereabouts. I only just bought and set up the system. My Arlo app, from Google Play store (UK) and developed by Netgear, says the app version is from 27th June, predating the new app launch - but there is no other app available in the Google store... Should there be a new app in the UK?
189 REPLIES 189
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If this is happening with the Arlo app, then try going back to the Arlo Legacy one, and see if that cures it.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

Some are reporting no notifications after installing the new app.  I'm having the opposite problem.  Every time I clear the red notifications counter on the app icon (by looking at the footage), they show up again when I revist the app.  It keep showing that I have hundreds of notifications to review, but there is nothing new there.  Any suggestons for making this go away?  Everything worked fine before the new app was installed.

Lima1970
Aspirant
Aspirant
I updated my arlo app and the new design is kind of black/ grey Arlo Legacy. After that I went to the App Store and downloaded the Arlo app Blue/green again Arlo Lifestyle and deleted the Arlo legacy. If you search for the arlo app on apple store you will find both Arlo Legacy by Netgear black/grey and the old one blue/green Arlo Lifestyle by Arlo Technologies Inc. That’s everything you need to do,
Netgear don’t run Arlo cameras anymore so the new app you need to have is run by Arlo Technologies Inc. ARLO LIFESTYLE
I hope this make sense because I was confused as well!! Good luck to all!!
simorame
Tutor
Tutor
I got an email from Arlo today with a link to the new app on the Google Play Store. However, when I try to install it on my phone the app is endlessly waiting to download and that's it, nothing else happens. I hope this has got to do with the fact that the app was recently added to the Play Store, but the 30th of September deadline is not that far away.
WadeW
Tutor
Tutor

Updated to the new app and lost all push notifications on my iPhone XS Max.  I then tried to reload the old app but its been "updated" and isn't working either.  My iPad is still on the old version of the app and works fine.  My wife still has the old version on her iPhone and it works too.  Something about this new app...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WadeW wrote:

Something about this new app...

Are you running iOS 13 beta?  

If so, that's a known bug (and will be fixed before iOS 13 is released).

Australien
Luminary
Luminary
I have ios 13.1 but my wife has same issues with iOS 12 so it can’t be just that...
WadeW
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. I am running iOS betas. Both my phone and iPad are on iOS 13.1 pb2. Still have the old app on my iPad and it's fine. New app on my phone is not. 

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Is arlo version 2.7 the “new app” that is to be downloaded and used AFTER running and then deleting the “legacy” app? Confused to the extreme.
Ran1
Tutor
Tutor

It is faillry easy:

1. once you have donloaded the new app it is the leading app for Arlo.

2. If geofencing is not used that all is fine and it should work fine also if you have old version in other devices.

3. there are issues with IOS13 which probably should be fixed soon.

4. if geofencing is to be used - than you need to update all devices that will geofence to the new Arlo app.

5. Please note that it might take a while for all devices to work properly in the geofence mode (login/logout and time). No idea why it is not instant but it will be fine at the end.

Alerts work fine  but you need (at least in non beta mode IOS) to set up all allerts as if you installed a new app (security banners etc.)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RChobby wrote:
Is arlo version 2.7 the “new app” that is to be downloaded and used AFTER running and then deleting the “legacy” app? Confused to the extreme.

The new one is 2.8.  You can just uninstall the app you have, and directly install the new one from the play store.

Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

HI Ran,

I've installed the "new" app.  Only one problem.  It doesn't load and just hangs.  Tried clearing memory and cache to no avail.  I run about 30 cameras and the new app is a failure.  The same android phone runs the old app successfully albeit slowly. 

The new app will load an account with just a few cameras but it absolutely refuses to load my full complement.  It seems that unless this is fixed by the time the old app is "turned  off" that my Arlo camera system will be rendered a useless lot of very expensive hardware.  Faulty App version number is 2.8.0_25870.

Why do I get this deja-vu feeling?

Cheers to all...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bagabond wrote:

I run about 30 cameras and the new app is a failure.  The same android phone runs the old app successfully albeit slowly. 

Might be useful to provide some more info on the phone model and the version of Android that it uses.

Maybe also try contacting support, so they can get a bug logged for the issue.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issue. I've been trying for days since I got the e-mail to download the new app, but made the mistake of deleting the legacy on my phone, so now I have NONE.  I am not happy with this crap!!!!

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don't delete the legacy app. Then you'll have NOTHING.  I made that mistake and cannot get either to download to my Android phone.

woo10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please tell me.  What is the version of the NEW ARLO App.

I downloaded Arlo Legacy (ios), then went to app store and downloaded ARLO  but the ARLO version is 2.8 (909) realeased on Aug 30th, 2019.

Is this correct? I just don't understand whe we had to get Arlo Legacy. 

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine says version 2.8.0_25870  Seems more real time responsive and works great! And you already had the Legacy app, that's the original version supported by Netgear. You no longer need it.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@woo10 wrote:

Please tell me.  What is the version of the NEW ARLO App.

I downloaded Arlo Legacy (ios), then went to app store and downloaded ARLO  but the ARLO version is 2.8 (909) realeased on Aug 30th, 2019.

Is this correct? I just don't understand whe we had to get Arlo Legacy. 

I don’t think “we had to get “ the latest version of the legacy app.  I suspect Arlo released it purely to change the icon color and insert the expiration date in the app.  I’m sure we could ignore the legacy app and just download and use the new app.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

In simple terms, "Legacy" simply refers to the original version we all had been using. It wasn't a NEW version or even suggested that we needed to download.  The email notification simply said that Arlo has become stand-alone from Netgear, and the Legacy app would no longer be supported due to the split from their partnership. Here's the definition of Legacy: 

adjective

of or relating to old or outdated computer hardware, software, or data that, while still functional, does not work well with up-to-date systems.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pokiemom wrote:

In simple terms, "Legacy" simply refers to the original version we all had been using.

True enough, but if you look in the app store you will find "Arlo Legacy" there.  That is a slightly modified version of the original (icon color changed slightly).

You don't need to download it, you can simply uninstall the old app and reinstall the new Arlo one.  If you run into issues, you can then install "Arlo Legacy" if you wish.

GIJaneusa
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I buy this thing then find out it’s not stand alone
I try to connect to my WiFi/ internet NOTHING.
With all the neg comments should I just take it back to the store
VERY FRUSTRATING
Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know what you are saying.  If you have the base station and camera (s), it is easily connected to wi-fi. Forget the Legacy app. If you didn't have it, you don't need it now.  You need the one found in Apple Store, Google Play or Amazon stores by searching Arlo Technologies. It will be brighter green. It downloads just fine. I have no issues with my system  Can you elaborate on what your problems are, bearing in mind I am NO expert.

PhileasFrog
Tutor
Tutor
Hi James, I have downloaded the new Arlo app and I received the notifications ok on IOS however I noted that the Arlo icon keep showing the total number of videos in the media library for that day even I may previously seen those.

If I view the new video, the count disappears in the Arlo app icon but as soon as a new video gets added, it refresh the counter to the number of videos in the library (seen or unseen).

Does anyone have the same problem ? This issue didn’t exist in the old Arlo app.
krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

@PhileasFrog wrote:
Hi James, I have downloaded the new Arlo app and I received the notifications ok on IOS however I noted that the Arlo icon keep showing the total number of videos in the media library for that day even I may previously seen those.

If I view the new video, the count disappears in the Arlo app icon but as soon as a new video gets added, it refresh the counter to the number of videos in the library (seen or unseen).

Does anyone have the same problem ? This issue didn’t exist in the old Arlo app.

YES.  Look here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/quot-New-quot-Notification-count-on-iPhone-app-won-t-clear/...

GIJaneusa
Tutor
Tutor
Hi Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the non green app. I’ll delete the one I have and find the green one

Thanks