Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

lpmom
Follower
Follower

There are no recordings in my lib rary anymore. Camera profiles show there are recordings but the library has no recordings.

422 REPLIES 422
gschirro
Aspirant
Aspirant
How did your get resolved?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moe300 wrote:

The camera that I am referring to that monitors the driveway is about 70' away from the base with clear line of sight.  The base sits inside in front of the window directly facing it.  I don't see how it is a connection issue.

I would not suspect my network is causing it either as I have a ubiquiti enterprise system of which I have a good amount of experience with.  My 2g is not crammed with multiple households overlapping causing interference because we are rural and no neighbors close enough to cause it.  My dsl connection is more than enough bandwidth.

When I installed the system (I believe it was April of this year) it worked flawlessly.  None of this was happening.

@MikeBravo While I get that there have been performance issues reported by many over the past months, they aren't affecting all users.  And connection quality issues can also create these symptoms.  Working to rule that possibility out for specific users is (in my opinion) constructive.  

As I said earlier, one possibility was that the recording was just starting late (which would be firmware).  Firmware bugs could of course also result in reduced connection quality or loss in the video stream.   Even when it is a firmware issue, there is value in sorting out more precisely what is going on.

@moe300 One thing to try is to connect USB storage to the base, and then see if the recordings in the USB storage also has the same problem as the corresponding recordings in the cloud.  If they don't, then the camera itself and camera->base link are definitively ruled out.  

JohnRem
Guide
Guide

We have a 5-10 second lag. These cameras are a waste of money. We have had 5 for a few years now. Why? We don’t know.  We have the best router money can buy. We have repeaters installed everywhere.  The cameras are not far from the base station. But we still get a huge lag.  We have had numerous issues with this system. We feel we have been ripped off. We spent a fortune on this system with all the solar panels as we are too old to climb ladders etc to charge batteries,  we spent big money on a wifi router (ORBI).  The cameras have lots of issues , another is after a little time of being outdoors in the weather the charging connection inside the camera erodes and breaks so you can no longer charge the cameras. I can go on and on.  We can’t afford to spend anymore money on this system so I guess we have to put up with all the issues. To be fair arlo did acknowledge our issues and did help out with replacement cameras but the lag issue is just terrible.  

moe300
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do happen to have USB storage connected to the base. I am going to cross reference it with the cloud. This issue is happening on all 4 cams. I have one mounded on the gutter that is 8 ft from the base. It doesn't get triggered much. Today it did and I saw the same issue of my nephew in the middle of the thumbnail and I played the video and it showed him almost out of frame.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moe300 wrote:
I do happen to have USB storage connected to the base. I am going to cross reference it with the cloud. 

Good.  Please do post back on what you find.

moe300
Aspirant
Aspirant

I pulled the usb drive and compared a few different recordings to the cloud.  I can definitely say that the USB drive shows good activation and recordings on multiple cameras.  Comparing them to the cloud, there is a huge difference.   The cloud shows nothing on one recording compared to the usb showing things from one edge of the view to the other.

This proves that the image is recording properly from the cams.  It also proves that it has to be something between the arlo base and the cloud.  My Ubiquiti system, DSL, or something else?  My DSL is stable as I monitor it with Unifi (that is the gui control for the network).  My ubiquiti network is rock solid.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moe300 wrote:

This proves that the image is recording properly from the cams.  It also proves that it has to be something between the arlo base and the cloud. 

I agree.

@moe300 wrote:

My Ubiquiti system, DSL, or something else?  My DSL is stable as I monitor it with Unifi (that is the gui control for the network).  

We know that It's not the WiFi component of the Ubiquiti system - any wifi interference between Ubiquiti and the base would have resulted in corrupted recordings on the USB stick (since Arlo only uses WiFi for the camera->base link).

What is your DSL uplink speed, and how many cameras do you have? (would be good to take DSL link speed off the table)

Misbehavior in the ethernet path from the base to the router/gateway is conceivable but seems unlikely.  Since the base does respond to ping, you could use gping to test ethernet loss and latency to the base (using a PC that is connected with ethernet, not wifi).  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gping/

Congestion in the WAN path to the Arlo cloud is possible.  You could also use gping to monitor loss (and latency) to the AWS cloud - testing the path to s3.amazonaws.com (or some other AWS server that responds to ping).  https://cloudpingtest.com/aws would also give you some idea, but isn't something you can run over an extended period. 

Of course we can't rule out base station firmware (some bug/performance bottleneck in the video upstream link) or a bug/performance bottleneck in the Arlo cloud itself.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

We feel your pain.

We have more than a thousand dollars (and that is only due to the closeout discount prices we got from Costco) invested owing to a scary problem with a neighbor that Arlo offered the only solution for us.

Sadly, our system has become viturally useless.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

QUOTE:  "

I pulled the usb drive and compared a few different recordings to the cloud.  I can definitely say that the USB drive shows good activation and recordings on multiple cameras.  Comparing them to the cloud, there is a huge difference.   The cloud shows nothing on one recording compared to the usb showing things from one edge of the view to the other.

This proves that the image is recording properly from the cams.  It also proves that it has to be something between the arlo base and the cloud.  My Ubiquiti system, DSL, or something else?  My DSL is stable as I monitor it with Unifi (that is the gui control for the network).  My ubiquiti network is rock solid."

Great info Moe. This surely indicates that it is a firmware issue as we didn't have this problem prior to the round of updates that began in May.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MikeBravo wrote:

Great info Moe. This surely indicates that it is a firmware issue as we didn't have this problem prior to the round of updates that began in May.

Well, there are a couple more things to check.  But his testing so far has ruled out quite a bit with his particular system (camera firmware, camera->base connection, WiFi interference are all ruled out).

Arlobcs
Star
Star

I do not think this issue has been completely resolved.  I am getting motion notifications, but very few recordings (I am getting some, but far fewer than the notifications suggest I should be getting).

Arlobcs
Star
Star

Camera now appears to be recording, consistent with notifications.  Don't know why it did not before.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
The issues have not been resolved. I still have missing videos, and some videos still turn into fast motion videos after 10 seconds or so. Some of the videos cut off in mid-motion (e.g., as I am walking across the frame). And sometimes the videos have visible glitches / hiccups.
Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
morgoth58
Guide
Guide

I have been noticing similar issue, motion detected but no recording on 2 of my cameras, while other 3 are working. The 2 that do not record are on power, the other 3 just on battery. I unplugged the other 2, got recording. Plugged back in, no recording. Reason I bought power cables is to avoid changing out batteries for charging, that was a waste.

TeazeJay
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have checked the status page and it states everything is good but I am not receiving notifications for motion nor are there any recordings. I can live stream my cameras to test video functional and they are working. What could be my issue?
Arlobcs
Star
Star

Poor you --  I don't have to go up a ladder to mess with them, but it's a hell of a lot of work for little reward.  These cameras are so buggy.

Arlobcs
Star
Star

Thanks, but I don't use the activity zones feature.

bettyboop323
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am still not seeing videos even though I receive notifications that there is movement.
MattyC83
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the exact same issue with one of my Pro 2 cameras. Were you ever able to resolve the issue?
Arlobcs
Star
Star

I've concluded that the Arlo Pro2 is entirely unreliable for wirefree use.  I also have given up with a wired application in one location.  Uncertain yet of why I'm having trouble with the location & camera combination, despite being powered by the cable  The camera (when plugged into power) works fine elsewhere.

Debbie_Stewart
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, once I removed the activity zones it worked fine! 

tanabeboy
Guide
Guide
My cameras are all plugged in. Since I last wrote this, the problem has lessened, but it’s not completely gone. The new problem I am having is gaps in the video recordings are missing...
Arlobcs
Star
Star

I've had this with the beginning of videos (a person is suddenly within a zone where they should have been detected well before they were).  I think this is a function of security cameras in general, as both my Arlo and Nest cameras both miss the beginnings of movement.  I attribute this to the angle (or lack of angle) of movement relative to the camera -- I think these cameras cannot detect movement heading straight toward the camera.  The Arlo manual does state this, if I recall correctly.

Wireout332
Aspirant
Aspirant