Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detected videos not recording to Library, but push notifications are received iOS/Android

lpmom
Follower
Follower

There are no recordings in my lib rary anymore. Camera profiles show there are recordings but the library has no recordings.

422 REPLIES 422
mplopes
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nothing to do with videos showing in the library.

It’s about the captured video. It seems the camera detects motion right after but the video that gets saved does not include the beginning of the capture. Basically, I can see the mailman at my door, but I can’t see how he got there, even though all that was part of the detection frame. It seems the video gets cropped.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@mplopes 

Have you tried to remove the cameras from Settings > My Devices > Re-Ada & test again?

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yup, Arlo has made their decision - cripple all non-subscription cameras with atrocious mp4 compression to try and force more subscriptions.

I'm waiting for the company to fold or be bought out, then I'll hop to either Eufy or Blink most likely.

I also got tired of the Arlo apologists on here, the "Gurus" who talk down to us and act like Arlo is perfect and we're the problem. I hope they enjoy their free Arlo t-shirts or whatever little freebies they're getting.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

The issues don't only affect non-subscribers.

We've been subscribers from the getgo and all of our ten cameras (7 basic Arlos, 3 Arlo Pros) have been victimized.

Judging by the distinct lack of postings reaching us it seems as if everyone has either decided to just live with the situation or has moved on from Arlo.

We're watching Blink and Eufy like many who have posted here and once we're sure we won't be going from the frying pan into the fire we'll make the move.

mplopes
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes - did that. No luck.
gschirro
Aspirant
Aspirant
I regret buying Arlo. Had I known of the lag issues. These systems are expensive
PeterSierra
Star
Star
I don’t have the lag issue anymore.
It took them nearly a year to fix it but the cameras work well now. Like they did the first year that I had them.

Lisab22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Suddenly or if the blue no library recordings. Why is this happening?? How do I fix it? Am I gonna have to call Arlo customer support?
Does anyone elses charging cord fall out easily? Too easily ..
Gurlplz702
Aspirant
Aspirant
For my one camera i had to unsubscribe from the smart notifications.
jtbm45
Aspirant
Aspirant
Continue to get inconsistent and completely missing videos and notifications. I have added/removed activity zones, one by one camera reboots and base station, adjusted sensitivity of motion/audio, etc for several weeks now and STILL cameras are wildly inconsistent in picking up obvious motions but routinely overtrigger to audio. I just turned off audio altogether as a last shot. As an example just overnight, our neighbor's car was missing at 10pm and magically there at 8am this morning and nothing captured in between as was done before...most of the time anyway. On top of this, the cameras have ALWAYS been slow to trigger and rarely ever continue recording until the activity/event has passed as set, usually cutting off between 11-20 seconds. Arlo has never been 100% consistent but has gotten far worse the past month or so. We rely on your systems for security and your product just isn't doing its job and I invested a lot of money last year expecting better service. My subscription just renewed a week or so ago and will be requesting a refund. Thinking about switching to Simplisafe.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

MrKato
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 Arlo Pro cameras and they have all developed the extreme lag in all videos. Someone comes to my door and all I see is them walking away. Only beneficial if I want to identify them by their rear end. I am also experiencing the extreme notification lag as I am sometimes a 1/4 of a mile away from home before my garage camera sends me an alert that I pulled out of the driveway. Very glad I bought the extended warranty on these units as I am about ready to exchange them for something that actually works.

mplopes
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sounds good. Looking forward to hear an update from you.

Let me know if you need some sample videos, or anything else from my side to help repro the problem.
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Strange that you can't quote the message you are replying to, but then again this is Arlo.

In any event, we have sent them multiple videos showing disappearing people, people that flash out of videos as if, well, they were the FLASH himself, and yet nothing has come of it.

This on top of the fact that our seven basic Arlos have video that is so bad that they have become worthless.

mrsjam
Aspirant
Aspirant
unscrubbing?
Gurlplz702
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unsubscribe from smart notifications
mrsjam
Aspirant
Aspirant
it doesn’t let me disable smart i have to at least pick one option ... but i did disconnect, remove the battery and reinstall device and it seems to be working right now 🤞
Warrior1890
Aspirant
Aspirant
My issue is the recording, the person is 3/4 through the viewing area before it starts to record
moe300
Aspirant
Aspirant

The most recent firmware update did fix the pixelation and warping for me (for the most part).  However as others have stated other problems remain.  For me the library footage where vehicles go down the driveway I usually see the rear of the vehicle or nothing at all but I can still hear tires on gravel for the whole clip.  Seemingly at random I will get good footage.  I have moved the camera all over.  Making sure it is horizontal movement (because that is usually the arlo excuse).

Here is what is interesting:  I subscribed to the pro subscription just to see what it would do, especially with activity zones.  In all my library files now on the cam in question, the still photo of the clip shows the front of the vehicle as it should!  When playing the video all I get is the back end or the tires on gravel.  This leads me to believe this is ABSOLUTELY an issue with garbage base station firmware!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moe300 wrote:

In all my library files now on the cam in question, the still photo of the clip shows the front of the vehicle as it should!  When playing the video all I get is the back end or the tires on gravel.  This leads me to believe this is ABSOLUTELY an issue with garbage base station firmware!

Are you seeing a pause in the recording before the video starts?  If you are, then that suggests there might be some loss in the path from the camera -> base or the base -> cloud.  If you have USB storage connected, you could look there and see if the SD version is different from the one in the cloud.

If you aren't seeing a pause or other evidence of corruption, then possibly the recording is starting too late - which would be a firmware issue.

FWIW, I'm not saying that the base (or camera)  firmware isn't a possible cause when you see video corruption.  Just that connection quality can also be a factor (even when the signal strength looks good). 

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

We're now at 300 Mbps and still are plagued with the motion detection issues. Time and time again we see a thumbnail with a person or car in it, but when you play the video the object disappears as if by magic.

Its disheartening that even after all of the complaints and all the attempts at firmware fixes, we're still getting asked about what troubleshooting steps we've taken as if they no nothing about the mistakes they have made.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

It begs the question that if the object appears in the thumbnail, how can it NOT appear in the captured video?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MikeBravo wrote:

It begs the question that if the object appears in the thumbnail, how can it NOT appear in the captured video?

If you are responding to my post, then it doesn't beg that question.

One of the possibilities I outlined is that the video bitstream is corrupted.  That would explain why the object doesn't appear in the video.  I've definitely seen that in some of the disappearing person videos shared here - when I look I look with the right tools, I can often see the person moving in them.  But normal players stop or skip over that part of the sequence.

The other possibility I suggested is that the recording is starting too late, which would also explain it. 

Both of those possibilities assume that the snapshot is taken independently from the video recording (and not derived from it).  I think they are independent (based on what I see in the snapshots and my own video library).  But I don't know that for sure.

moe300
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera that I am referring to that monitors the driveway is about 70' away from the base with clear line of sight.  The base sits inside in front of the window directly facing it.  I don't see how it is a connection issue.

I would not suspect my network is causing it either as I have a ubiquiti enterprise system of which I have a good amount of experience with.  My 2g is not crammed with multiple households overlapping causing interference because we are rural and no neighbors close enough to cause it.  My dsl connection is more than enough bandwidth.

When I installed the system (I believe it was April of this year) it worked flawlessly.  None of this was happening.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Quote: "When I installed the system (I believe it was April of this year) it worked flawlessly.  None of this was happening."

Which is precisely the issue here. No matter what any or all of us say, over and over, Arlo continues to pretend that the problems stem from the users not Arlo. They continue to parrot the same useless suggestions about deleting and re-initializing the cameras, rebooting the base station, move the base station (What? The Earth changed?), and of course replacing the batteries. 

They steadfastly refuse to accept responsibility and instead stonewall, stonewall, stonewall. 

Though they are appreciated, some of the gurus here exacerbate the situation by repeating the same, old, tired suggestions.