Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection not working on my Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just over a week ago I bought and set-up an Arlo Pro 2 security camera. The camera hasn’t been detecting motion. The only time I get a push notification to my phone is because it has detected sound. When I turn the sound detection off and just have motion detection going I never receive notifications. Anyone out there have this problem before or know how to help? Should I return this camera? Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JeffNolan18

i have a few questions for you. Did this issue occur recently? What devices (Phone/Tablet) are you experiencing this issue with? Have you made sure the Base Station, Cameras & Arlo Mobile App are up to date on the latest firmware? I have provided the link here - Firmware Release Notes

JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi @ShayneS,

First off I need to clarify. I have a Arlo Pro, not Pro 2. Sorry.

This issue has happened since the first time I set it up right out of the box.
I’m experiencing this using the Arlo app on my IPhone 6. I unfortunately don’t have another device to test it on.
I’m pretty sure everything is up to date because the day I set it up there was a firmware update.

I can’t even perform the motion detection testing where the yellow light on the camera is supposed to come on. I try and no yellow light.

Thanks,
Jeff
kchris
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  The yellow light will only turn on when the camera is powered by the battery only.  You will not see the motion yellow light when the camera is plugged in.  The motion sensor will work when the system is armed, so I tested it with the sytem in armed mode.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@JeffNolan18

Do you have a rule set to send push notifications when motion is detected? Are you receiving videos in your library?

@kchris

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you -Arlo Tech Support

JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I have a rule set to send me push notifications for motion.

I’ve only ever received videos in my library when sound has been detected. Never for motion. Yesterday my cat was walking around in the main zone, eating, jumping on the couch and that didn’t even detect motion.
KS1949
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought a 3 cam Pro 2 a week ago and set it up. For initial set up I just had cans pointing out windows while getting skins and mounts for using outside. I mounted them - 1 on overhang and 2 on trees with clear unobstructed views. All have excellent live pictures. All receive 2 Wi-Fi bars out of 3 and in armed mode all three have the same rules (there are 3 individual rules). All request notification and e-mail alerts. Only the one mounted on the overhang sends
Motion alerts and e-mail but all there show motion alert in black. All three were sending notifications and alerts when they were first setup inside pointing out. All have the most same recent firmware. Any ideas? It’s a waste of hundreds of dolllars if it doesn’t alert me.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@JeffNolan18

Do you have the activity zones setup? If so, can you remove the zones & see if your camera detects motion. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KS1949

Can you provide a little more detail regarding the "black" motion alerts? Are the videos in the library appearing black?

JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did initially set-up two activity zones and that’s actually what I wanted to do was remove them. I can’t find where to do that though........??????
KS1949
Aspirant
Aspirant
What I meant was the icon is dark color
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JeffNolan18

If you are adding/removing activity zones from the Arlo Mobile App, you can swipe left on the desired zoe to delete it.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KS1949

If the Logos are black that means the rule is active. If it is grey, the mode is disarmed. Example - (A Black Circle With 3 Lines = Motion Detection Is Active).

JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have been looking everywhere throughout the mobile app to do something with zones and I can’t find anywhere to do that. Why can’t I find the settings for zones on the app?
Dannybear
Master
Master
If your referring to the basic activity zones, look under the camera’s device settings.
JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve looked for zone setting options under my device settings and there’s nothing. Nothing at all about zones.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Just confirm you have a pro 2 camera.
The activity zone should be in the video section.
Refer attached for iOS App.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok, I see what your talking about when you go the long way to get to the camera settings.

From the devices page, I just tap on the settings icon for the wanted camera and it takes me to the camera settings.

If I tap on the settings at the bottom right of the App then I tap on “my devices” I then have to tap on the wanted camera to get to it’s settings page.

I advise from my experience that you do not use the basic activity zones as they will corrupt the schedules, modes, rules stored in the base station and will require you to re-enter them again each time the activity zone detection is activated.
JeffNolan18
Aspirant
Aspirant
To confirm I have just an Arlo Pro.

In my app I don’t have Activity Zones below Voice Settings like you are showing me in your link. All I have showing is Video Settings and below that Audio Settings.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JeffNolan18

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation