Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

My phone is an Android Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U) Android Version 8.0.

Just got the system last night and setup a few of the cameras.  I can watch live view from any PC but when I run the phone app, all of the features work accept Live View. I get a wait spinner that says "Connecting..." and it just sits there forever.  Any workarounds for this?  I can view the recorded videos from the phone and make changes to the system just can't get Live view to work.  

Thanks, Jeff

20 REPLIES 20
Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having live view problems on galaxy note 8. Just uninstalled and reinstalled the app. No fix. My internet and wifi connection is fine. Ive had the kit 6 months and only recently stopped live viewing

ActionMedford
Star
Star

Android Apps are having Similar FREQUENT NO VIDEO (Black Screen) or VERY LONG Connecting Times or Device is NOT STREAMING in Both the Last 2 Firmware Updates!  Website Interface is OK which proves the Problem is the APP!  Level 2 TECH SUPPORT NOT Relaying this info to USA!  Ditto on the PoOR Software Design with NO TESTING Before Release!!!

jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so I posted a second message into the topic and it got deleted. I posted several criticisms of the system from my experience so far. How odd, maybe because it was off topic and not because of the criticisms.  At any rate seems like I can get the phone app to show live information about 30% of the time now.  Almost feels like the Phone app is ignoring my wifi connection and using my cell connection.  I seem to get a better chance of connecting if my cell reception is perfect regardless of my wifi connection.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

jdamp,

How many cameras are giving you the live feed issue you are experiencing? It sounds like there may be some interference issues happening within the area. Have you tried to reboot your base station or remove & re-sync the camera? Can you bring the camera closer to the base station and test again?

Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 4 cameras and all of them do it now. 1 camera is only 5 metres away from the hub and still doing it with full wifi bars on the app. I will try the unpair and sync. I believe the app is the problem
Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
I believe i am the same. Sometimes after it says connecting it just has a black screen and thinks its playing. Sometimes it just sits there saying connecting never ending.

I checked the desktop live view last week and it was fine. I will try a more recent time after work. So far i also believe its the app is the problem
jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of the cameras give me the same issue from the Andriod app.  Doesn't matter signal strength etc.  Yes I have resarted the base station and cameras.  From PC they play fine.  Now viewing a recorded video from Edge doesn't work, I have to download them.

Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes sounds the same as me. Im guessing your app is fine to view recorded events like mine too just not the live video?
jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Jaz1140 Yes viewing recorded videos from the phone works as expected.  Just the Live view is broken.

Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok thank you. Im relieved its not just me a system and the problem lies with Arlo and their app. Will leave a review on the app page until they fix it
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

jdamp,

Is this loading issue happening through wifi, cellular data or both?

ActionMedford
Star
Star

Wifi & Cellular Data - FREQUENT NO VIDEO (Black Screen) or VERY LONG Connecting Times or Device is NOT STREAMING in Both the Last 2 Firmware Updates!  Website Interface is OK which proves the Problem is the APP! 

jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes just tested and it is the same on wifi and Cell (regardless of strength).  I noticed when I first got the system live view worked well from my phone then I did the firmware updates and it was at that point it didn't work very well.  Seems like some incompatability between the two.  Also I assume PC and phone use the same web service to comunicate with the base station i.e. phone/browser<->Arlo web service<->My base station.  If Iwere you I would get a service engineer to validate that the phone is sending the same headers and data up.  Really you should have service logs of these failed comunications but hey what do I know.  I guess I could install wireshark and put the base station on a hub but that sounds like something someone at Arlo should do.

jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ended up installing Puffin browser on my phone.  Works 100% of the time no connection issues.  Puffin does Adobe Flash cloud based rendering.  Not sure if I trust proxying through them or not so would much rather have the phone app fixed.

Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
Both
Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
Releaved its not just me. This needs a fix!
Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
What phone do you use? Im samsung note 8
jdamp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm on a Galaxy S8 android 8.  I wish the Arlo web site would stop using Flash.  There is a very good reason that it is being deprecated.  It blows my mind that a security related product would use tech that is laden with vulnerabilities.

Jaz1140
Aspirant
Aspirant
Alot of my googleing of this problem seems to be with samsung. So maybe its some problem with their update as well?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Jaz1140,

What android version is your Note 8 running?

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation