Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Context I am still within my return window on 6 cam system and am already deeply ambivalent about Arlo. Is it worth putting up with the annoyances, bugs, etc. for the value received? If it weren't for the excellent forum I'd probably bail out.

Just read in the Idea Exchange forum that being able to mute/disable Notifications was implemented in the app, but it seems that it took Arlo 4 years to get around to this; AND to me as important, they only did a small portion of what was suggested and supported by many users e.g. many wanted NOT only to be able to mute for a period of time notifications, BUT also wanted to be able to also do the same for recordings. The latter was NOT implemented; would seem to require only very similar changes to the app; would save Arlo from having to pay for cloud storage for recordings that user doesn't really want and thus a win-win. So if Arlo implies that it is likely that a new app feature X might/will be implemented does it usually take a year or more for it to occur?

I can put up with terrible Arlo tech support (as forum can handle many, certainly not all troubleshooting), but snail paced app development for things that might be considered basic app features could end up being a deal killer for me.

Related and from your experience can the forum user group go on a campaign for an app feature that many support and then make enough of a fuss about it in the Ideas Exchange to get Arlos attention that the time frame is "reasonable?" An unresponsive company when the user community is making a fairly reasonable demand/suggestion would make it hard for me to continue on. I hope the above situation is the exception in terms of app development, and I don't want this thread to be one for generally bashing Arlo. As a newbie still evaluating the Arlo experience I am looking for your perspective on app development. Is Arlo just putting 90% of its time into fixing bugs and getting current app to work, and only has 10% of its programming commitment to improving the app?

As a final to me troubling sign is that another thread indicated that a recent update to the recently released Arlo doorbell had removed the option for motion sensitivity adjustment - clearly a step backward in functionality, and from the user complaints about the doorbell, motion sensitivity is a basic/core feature for the door bell.

Thanks for your comments AND thanks to the forum old timers that offer so much help to us newbies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lite1 wrote:

Related and from your experience can the forum user group go on a campaign for an app feature that many support and then make enough of a fuss about it in the Ideas Exchange to get Arlos attention that the time frame is "reasonable?"

That did happen with when the Ultra was launched.  Initially there was no practical way to make free recordings, as the 7-day free plan wasn't available.  The user community was quite upset over this, and Arlo committed to provide free direct access to USB/MicroSD storage through the app and web client by the end of this year.  They also provided a 1 year free trial subscription to cover the gap.  They haven't launched direct access to storage yet, but I believe that they will. 

FWIW, there were other issues with the Ultra performance, that resulted in Arlo putting the brakes on new sales until the issues were addressed,

But it is clearly true that it can take a long time for new features requested in the idea exchange to show up, and for some bugs to be fixed.  Some of this might be politeness - the exchange has it's share of bad ideas.  But certainly there are plenty of good ideas there too, and many have languished.  Whatever the cause, you'll need to reach your own conclusion as to whether you find it acceptable or not.   

You've already worked throught the KB articles, and gathered suggestions and tips here.  Overall, if the product you bought isn't meeting your needs now, then it's probably best to return it (instead of just hoping the things you need or want are added later). 

Also, keep in mind that people who don't have issues tend not to post here (so are under-represented).  I've met Arlo owners who are quite pleased with their systems, and who have never visited the forum.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lite1 wrote:

Related and from your experience can the forum user group go on a campaign for an app feature that many support and then make enough of a fuss about it in the Ideas Exchange to get Arlos attention that the time frame is "reasonable?"

That did happen with when the Ultra was launched.  Initially there was no practical way to make free recordings, as the 7-day free plan wasn't available.  The user community was quite upset over this, and Arlo committed to provide free direct access to USB/MicroSD storage through the app and web client by the end of this year.  They also provided a 1 year free trial subscription to cover the gap.  They haven't launched direct access to storage yet, but I believe that they will. 

FWIW, there were other issues with the Ultra performance, that resulted in Arlo putting the brakes on new sales until the issues were addressed,

But it is clearly true that it can take a long time for new features requested in the idea exchange to show up, and for some bugs to be fixed.  Some of this might be politeness - the exchange has it's share of bad ideas.  But certainly there are plenty of good ideas there too, and many have languished.  Whatever the cause, you'll need to reach your own conclusion as to whether you find it acceptable or not.   

You've already worked throught the KB articles, and gathered suggestions and tips here.  Overall, if the product you bought isn't meeting your needs now, then it's probably best to return it (instead of just hoping the things you need or want are added later). 

Also, keep in mind that people who don't have issues tend not to post here (so are under-represented).  I've met Arlo owners who are quite pleased with their systems, and who have never visited the forum.

Jagangemi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would suggest you return them. I have a 2 camera system and they are the worst thing I have ever bought and the support is appalling. I have warned quite a few of my colleagues to not buy them also. The Camera just don't arm most of the time and the app is just amateur. I just don't trust the system will work when it is needed. The whole idea of a security system is that it is there when you most need it. There is no confidence in this system. They just don't respond to the issues and create more every software release. I really wish I could return mine as it was a lot of money. 

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
I'd return them unless you really can't find any other option.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation