Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Raisethe4
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all,

Just bought and setup the new Arlo Pro 2 and have mostly enjoyed using it.

I can't seem to record or capture images in 1080p despite changing the video settings for each camera.  Good lighting and strong signal with all cameras at least 100 ft from the base station.  Base station and cameras on latest firmware (1.12.0.0_27099, 1.125.11.3_26229)  Some what frustrated as the higher resolution advertised influenced the decision to go with the Pro 2.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What makes you think it's not recording in 1080p? You do hve the quality setting to Best, right? If you download the video and check the file properties, does it indicate 1080p?

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Saved snapshot images are only 1280x720.  If you download a video clip to your machine, you will find it is 1920x1072 pixels.

Raisethe4
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you both for the quick reply.  Yes, it does appear screenshots are at 720p while video is at 1080.  I wasn't expecting the video to be so grainy.  Not sure if that is a function of arlo compressing the video.  thank you

Trichomes
Tutor
Tutor

I agree, Im also finding at low light the image is shockingly bad, would not be able to identify a face without light that is for sure.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1080p is only 2 megapixels - your cheap cell phone is leaps and bounds better. Add in compression to reduce upload time and data storage and realize that the lens covers 130 degrees which is comparable to a 10mm fisheye lens on a DLSR. Download some fisheye images, resample them to 2MP and zoom in to see how much detail you can get. Night vision is notably worse because of the lack of light hitting a very small sensor, with the number of photons hitting any particualr photocell being very small. Adding external lighting definitely helps.

Expectations have to be realistic - these were never sold as ID-type cameras.

Sentry_Turret
Star
Star

@Raisethe4 wrote:

Hi all,

Just bought and setup the new Arlo Pro 2 and have mostly enjoyed using it.

I can't seem to record or capture images in 1080p despite changing the video settings for each camera.  Good lighting and strong signal with all cameras at least 100 ft from the base station.  Base station and cameras on latest firmware (1.12.0.0_27099, 1.125.11.3_26229)  Some what frustrated as the higher resolution advertised influenced the decision to go with the Pro 2.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Although the cameras are capable of recording in 1080p the compression algorithm used to transmit the video to the cloud or your storage device is very poor so the video you see will *never* be a true 1080p quality.   That said, I've compared Arlo pro 2's videos with competing wireless security cameras and Arlo is still among the best.  Their claim that you'll get 1080p quality is a bit deceptive though.   

Sentry_Turret
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

Expectations have to be realistic - these were never sold as ID-type cameras.

Look at the marketing material.  They are indeed sold as ID-type cameras. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Link?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation