Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Jmatteo
Follower
Follower

I just purchased a new iPhone and I keep receiving the unable to add trusted device error. I thought this was resolved months ago. The device is completely new, not reloaded from iCloud and I made a unique name for it as well so there is no duplication.

Best answers
  • Bill2314
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

Thank you. Deleting the application from settings and installing again worked.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

@Allanwalsh

As a workaround, you can use the don't trust option to log in to the arlo app. 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Can you login by selecting don't trust? 

220 REPLIES 220
SpiralOut
Star
Star

Here is how to resolve this trusted device error for a new iPhone:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Add-trusted-device-on-new-iPhone-Issue-Resolved-Workaround/td-p/1...

This works reliably and is a long-term fix for your device.

Step-by-step instructions on how to:

1) Delete existing trusted devices from two-step verification in the account profile of your 'my Arlo' web account

2) Delete the Arlo Secure iOS app and all its data, then re-install the app on the iPhone

Congratulations! You've found the fix you can act on right now!

Aleshenka
Aspirant
Aspirant

same issue here with the Iphone 14 Pro Max

help456
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got a new phone. 
wont accept when I hit trust device. 
Red banner at the top saying “there was a problem trusting this device”

GmaKate
Aspirant
Aspirant

D3767AD1-D49C-413B-89E6-6FF10B44B79E.jpegI have tried to add my new phone to the app and it refuses to “trust my new device. I have tried every angle except deleting app off my iPhone. But I can’t figure out how to delete app. 

tmdobson
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is NOT Support, an example of destructive development, no QA (testing), and appalling responses to a persistent problem that has been happening since November 2022 and is still unresolved. 

It should not matter if the new iPhone purchased by so many since November used to download from their iCloud or if they created their iPhone from scratch. It should not matter if the new iPhone has a unique or the same name as the last iPhone. What should make a difference in good support in resolving these issues quickly and immediately and they have not been?

I have been following these events since December when my best friend and I both got new iPhone devices and have been suffering from the same issues of not being able to Trust our new devices with our Arlo accounts.  For this issue to be unresolvable from November to the present show a horrible development cycle. With the impact being so many of the Arlo households impacted this should be their number one priority to resolve and they should be doing everything from backing out the code that caused this problem to new code that addresses it. Neither of these has happened and shows how little Arlo lack in caring for the customer experience.

To add insult to injury, the workaround does not address the additional problems brought about by Arlo's issue. To get to the screens that show you are unable to Trust a new device, you must get through two-factor authentication. The problem is that if you only have your phone with you and cannot log in to the Arlo app. I set up two-factor authentication because it is safer, but when the safety features you put in don't work right, that is horrendous. I set up to have SMS to my phone and I don't receive those SMS. I used to, but now I don't. Even when I do their workaround (Arlo now has more workarounds than they have good ideas) to change the method to email the code to me. The problem is that when you jump to the SMS or email to get the temporary code for two-factor authentication, you cannot jump back to the Arlo app to put in that code. When you try to move back with the code, the Arlo app won't let you put it in and immediately closes out the screen that has the squares to put in the codes.

You are unable to get by two-factor authentication unless you are able to see the security code come in on a separate device like an iPad or computer device. When you do get beyond two-factor authentication, you cannot trust the device. Their workaround is to select not to trust the device, but what they won't tell you is the next time they do an App update; you will automatically sign off the Arlo app and then you have to go through this huge fiasco of bad code and a careless company that refuses to change its bad code, no testing (QA) and deplorable customer experience.

I am the person who bought the 5 cameras in my best friend's house. I'm the geek that he knows. I setup it all up and forced him to get a subscription account. Does Arlo really think I will put these cameras or any Arlo products in the new house I'm building? Not with such deplorable customer experiences that are ongoing 4 or more months later.

SpiralOut
Star
Star

Would you rather click "Trust" your device and have it work, instead of "Don't Trust" and having to repeat the process every time?

This method steps you through a long-term fix to trust your new device.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Add-trusted-device-on-new-iPhone-Issue-Resolved-Workaround/td-p/1...

Rusty6
Guide
Guide

Having the same problem…. When will the trust issue be resolved??

Moewood874
Aspirant
Aspirant

Switched from iPhone 12 max pro to iPhone 14 pro max. I’ve read every thread, every blog as to why it won’t trust my device. Nothing helps. I’ve been on the website. I’ve reset my pass code and it looks like that I am now going to have to delete my account and redo all of my cameras?

newnandawg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Arlo will not allow me to add iPhone 14 Pro Max to trusted device

SpiralOut
Star
Star

Here is the solution that will actually enable you to trust your new iPhone - it works!!!

Bill2314
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought a new iPad, and despite my reading numerous articles on how to set up my new phone as a Trusted device I have failed to get it to work. Each time it tells me Arlo failed to recognize the trusted device. But like the rest of you, when I clicked "don't trust" it allowed me to get into my account with my new phone and operate as normal.

Bill2314
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Deleting the application from settings and installing again worked.

tcw91786
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cant get Arlo to trust my Iphone 14.  Any suggestions?

shaypalmer1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Upgraded to an iPhone 14 and now the ap doesn't trust the device.  Device model is VMB4000

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You need to trust the phone using the web browser on a pc, go to settings/profile/login settings/two-step verification. 

my.arlo.com

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Use the arlo web login my.arlo.com to go to settings/profile/login settings/two-step verification.

DJAustralia
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes but two step verification (6 digit pin via sms) needed each time on log in.

MADDsusa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had my ARLO camera system for over two years with no issues until I got my new iPhone. Arlo refuses to trust my new device. I called support twice with no resolution. If I can't access my cameras from my phone, there's no point in having Arlo cameras. This issue is NOT resolved as much as they'd like to claim it is. Why am I having to waste time on this? Should I just get Ring cameras instead? 

Goooku
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue. 
solution for me was to deinstall the app and reinstall it. 
I suppose it comes

from the fact I just transferred from old iPhone in place of reinstalling everything 

SpiralOut
Star
Star

This is the successful method to fix the problem of trusting your new device (e.g. iPhone) long-term. It works!!!

The below workaround resolved the issue for me and another person in my houselhold who also upgraded their iPhone.

At a high level, there are two primary steps to prepare:

1) In the my Arlo web account, delete existing trusted devices from two-step verification in the account profile

2) On the iPhone, delete the Arlo Secure iOS app and all its data, then re-install the app

Step by step instructions:

Part 1 - Delete existing trusted devices

1. Log in to my.Arlo.com account using a web browser
  2. Go to Settings
  3. Go to Profile in the Account section
  4. From the Arlo Account page, click on Two-Step Verification
  5. On the Two-Step Verification page, choose a different Primary Verification Method that is NOT "Trusted Devices" (e.g. SMS Message or Email Address) - note the check mark on the right side of the new option
  6. Click on Edit at the bottom of the page
  7. Note the red trash can icon to the right of the existing Trusted Devices
  8. Click the red trash can to remove the trusted device to be replaced (in my case there was only one item to remove)
  9. Log out from my Arlo

Part 2 - Remove (and delete data) and re-install the Arlo Secure iOS app

1. Open Settings on the iPhone
  2. Open General settings
  3. Open iPhone Storage
  4. Search for Arlo Secure in the app list and click on it
  5. Click "Delete App" to delete the app and all the related data from this iPhone
  6. Open the App Store
  7. Dowload and install the Arlo Secure: Home Security app
  8. That's it ... now open the Arlo Secure iOS app, log in, and follow the prompts to add the iPhone as a trusted device.

Note: it's possible some of these steps are not absolutely necessary, but they're the ones I followed and it worked. I didn't exhaustively test what steps are not required. I hope this helps you.

Bill2314
Aspirant
Aspirant

MADDsusa,

I had the same issue. My solution was to uninstall the app and reinstall it. 
Like many others, I think my issue was the result of transferring from an old iPad to a new one instead of reinstalling everything .

njg433
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo app won’t trust my new iPhone. It suggest I try something but the message is cut off and the app won’t turn sideways

Caud
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem. Had to get new phone and now can’t log in.  Phone not trusted.  

COME ON ARLO. BE BETTER THAN THIS.  I NEED MY SECURITY TO WORK PROPER. 

MirandaCD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've recently purchased an iPhone 14 Pro Max and I am having difficulties trusting the iPhone with the Arlo app.  I receive the one time code, enter the code and then it asks to trust the device.  I press trust and it says 'there was a problem trusting this device.  try again'.

Can someone please help ...

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It might be easier to use a web browser to login to my.arlo.com and trust the new mobile from there.

select the settings menu, choose account profile/login settings/two step verification.

when the new phone appears in the list check it as trusted and tick as primary so future 2fa requests are sent to the phone.

It is also prudent to have another mobile device like an iPad also trusted to make it easier to trust any new device if the mobile gets lost.