Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
stang12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I would like a PRO 2 camera but do not want the dark night vision issue.

Will there be a firmware update? Will there be a announcement  that the problem was fixed?

Wait for the PRO 3 to come out?

Thank you.

27 REPLIES 27
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I have 4 Pro 2s running with no night vision issues. 

Buy from a retailer with a good return policy.  If you're not happy just return the kit.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

if you are purchasing an Arlo Pro 2, you WILL have poor night vision no matter what. Unless some fix is coming but Netgear hasnt given us any reason to believe that there is going to be a fix coming. I've tested 8 arlo pro 2 cameras and all had the same night vision issues. 

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would wait and see if they can fix it.  If not, wait again for the Pro 3 and wait again.

I own both the first Arlo and also the Pro.  I learned from the first Arlo, stay on the outside and look in and see.  Once Netgear gets their act together and fixes the problems then buy.

-Robert
GeekGear
Guide
Guide
I bought the four camera kit. All of the cameras outside have poor night vision. One of the cameras is in the garage. The night vision is excellent. What is the difference? Is it the enclosed space that helps or the walls that are white? Two things that come to mind.

I have to believe this is a firmware issue. The major difference between the Arlo and Pro is the base and the camera 1080p and 5 second roll back or what ever it is called. The basic guts of the two cameras are likely the same including IR. If it worked better on the older pro then it should be an easy firmware fix for the Pro. Pro as in Arlo Pro and a pun. Which begs the question why is the fix taking so long.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
One of my cameras is an Arlo Pro 2 the rest are Arlo Pros I will not buy another Pro 2 unless they fix this night vision problem. That's if they even can
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I get a kick out of this person who says he has 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras with no night vision issues he must be using them indoors. Because if he uses them Outdoors with poor lighting conditions forget it you won't see anything
GeekGear
Guide
Guide
I would like to add that a couple of my cameras are working better in IR. It appears the white background does the trick. What changed, it is snowing. A general question, once IR captures the image does it need white balance to work well in all backgrounds. My guess is Netgear has to fix the white balance. That was an uneducated guess.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Mine too the snow is a great reflector
GeekGear
Guide
Guide
If you are referring to me I said the outdoor cameras are bad with the one indoor camera working well.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
No I wasn't referring to you there was another guy who says he has for Arlo Pro twos with no night vision issues. I also tried one indoors and it works quite well but I want to use it Outdoors
GeekGear
Guide
Guide
Johnny290, this is why I think the fix for Netgear is a white balance fix. With digital cameras you can have a total dark image and with white balance bring back the image. There can be issues but white balance can fix a dark image.
GeekGear
Guide
Guide
Johnny290, sorry for this misunderstanding. Most of us do want them outside. I agree this is a serious issur.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I understand as far as a firmware fix though this problem has been going on for quite a while and not a peep out of Netgear so I'm not sure that they can fix it
steve_t
Master Master
Master

GeekGear wrote:
I would like to add that a couple of my cameras are working better in IR. It appears the white background does the trick. What changed, it is snowing. A general question, once IR captures the image does it need white balance to work well in all backgrounds. My guess is Netgear has to fix the white balance. That was an uneducated guess.

I think there's full frame metering. I see people complain about poor night vision who have a wall or a bush or other object in the foreground that is brightly reflective and they wonder why the dark areas are dark. I also have no problems even in minimally lit areas but most of my areas have some light or are small enough to have reflective surfaces around. I don't point any cameras into dark, wide open spaces like others seem to. You need something for the IR to reflect off. But I do agree that either the IR illumunation is marginally less than the Pro or the wider field of view makes it appear a little worse. Hopefully the engineers can crank up the gain a little in low light though, I wouldn't want mine any higher

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Having just said about foreground objects being too reflective, here's a screenshot from one of my Pro 2 cameras. The tree at the bottom of the frame has Xmas lights on it. The wall to the right is highly reflective. The roofline top left makes an appearance. The other Arlo camera on the fence on the left shows up quite brightly too with its IR illuminators onArlo.jpg

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Arlo Pro 2
GeekGear
Guide
Guide
We can put up a sign that says, "Burglars please attempt any robberies between sunrise and sunset. " I think Netgears solution is going to be the wireless light coming out in the Spring.
MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
No response from the company????!!

What is the point of providing this feedback about this issue for nearly 2 months now if the company is ignoring they have a product defect.? Seems the endless posts on this community board are futile since Netgear is ignoring it.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Netgear are aware of this issue and have made it a priority to fix. There will hopefully be some new firmware out soon.

Having said this, I have 4 Pro 2's installed with no night vision issues providing there are no nearby surfaces reflecting the IR back into the lens.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Well I saw some of your pics and you have a lot of light in your backyard that's why you're not having a night vision issue I'm sure your cameras are no different than the ones we have
Streak2
Master Master
Master

This is in pitch darkness.

Pro2.jpg

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Yes I understand but you're in a room and it's reflecting off the white walls we're talking about problems with the camera outside in low light conditions compare to the Arlo Pro 1 the night vision is very poor everything else about the camera I love I just wish they can fix that night vision
MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m confused how it can be called a priority when this issue has been reported since the release of the product in October and it’s now the end of December. Meanwhile they are selling the cameras (to take advantage of holiday shopping) without any mention that they’re selling a product with known issues.

Plus a firmware update has come out in the interim and this wasn’t addressed. So confused how it’s a priority.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I can say this I had my camera replaced by Netgear because of the ticking sound when I asked a representative about the night vision problems she knew nothing about it this is in the past week
Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation