Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Follower
Follower

Hi,  I need a camera to record clearly in the dark. Users of the Arlo pro 2 have described that it has very poor night vision capabilities and the arlo pro 1 records a clearer picture in the dark. Is there any way to improve the performance of the arlo pro 2 night vision? Or for that purpose would the arlo pro 1 be a bettter bet. Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations.    The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.   Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.   What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event.    Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes.

-Arlo Development Team

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Pro 1 would be better or a whole different product to be honest. Nothing I have done, even on beta field tested firmware has improved the night vision on the Arlo Pro 2. It almost has gotten worse over time, looks like 144p during night vision, but crystal clear during the day time, it baffles me......

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you really want the best quality night videos, add external lighting, whether normal or 850nM IR. The LEDs on the cameras are only useful for close range while the additional lighting makes a huge difference.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

With the Arlo Pro 1 additional lighting wasnt needed in the same location my arlo pro 2 is in now, and shouldnt be needed if it is being deemed as "night vision" but obviously exterior lighting would help it look more clear as if it wasnt night time because of the extra light. 

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Simple stick with the Arlo Pro and not the Pro 2.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I've been holding off on buying the Arlo Pro 2 because of this night vision problem I hope they are able to fix it
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Don't hold your breath it will no doubt be a and hers is the Pro 3.

Last night had a few triggers in the garden night vision so bad camera is useless. Only solution is to hit a huge floodlight then turn off night vision. I did that at the front as there is a street lamp but that goes off from 1AM to 5AM ish.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
It's like they manufactured the product without even testing it first
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

I doubt anyone believe the copy/paste fob off.

1st - its the same promise some two months on, for this and many other issues on this forum.

2nd - To say the end user setup identical to the Pro 1 is the issue, is a cop out, it is the Pro 2 issue.

Its like saying i bought a bed and position perfect in my bedroom, i then bought the same bed (better springs) and now i cannot put it in the same place ???

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Obsydian  +1   Exactly. It sucks to not only have a defective product but to then have my intelligence insulted by telling me to change what was an already working and functioning setup to accomodate for the lack of quality control that should've taken place BEFORE the product was released to the masses......

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: How to improve night vision?

Buy Arlo's Security light. It's coming out soon. 

Apprentice
Apprentice

NM 

netcamera
Guide
Guide

I've been considering purchasing the Arlo Pro 2 but have been put off by reading threads such as this and others in this forum. Amazon reviews are generally good, so I'm wondering how widespread the problems are or if we're just hearing from a minority of people with (genuine) concerns. Was the product released too soon before adequate testing? Arlo Pro 1 appears to be a more stable product, but at this point I wouldn't want to buy into an older system.

What I like about Arlo is the base station that sets up an independent wifi network for use by the cameras, thus isolating it from my home wifi. But I don't want to spend a lot of money just to deal with headaches. How responsive is Netgear to addressing the issues with Pro 2?

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Easy way is try and if not happen return within returns period.

I upgraded from the Pro 1 to the 2 and was silly to think Arlo listen and fix issues, what's clear is they do not if anything moderate unfavourable comments.

Shame the Pro 2 is better than the 1, but night vision makes it useless is no lighting to assist and even then still hazy compared to the Pro 1. Then add all the other issues the just ignore ...
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Pro 1 works well all around .pro2 all good except night vision which is very bad. I may just keep my pro 1 cameras and return pro2. Unless there is firmware fix
TobyHonest
Initiate
Initiate

This is so frustrating. I just bought two new Arlo Pro 2 to add to my three Arlo Pro cameras. Now all this about very bad night vision on the Arlo 2, duh, did the design people realize that "night" is typically the most important time for needing security cameras and that's the feature that sucks. I currently have an Arlo Pro sitting in total darkness and it provides a crisp and detailed result. I guess the Arlo Pro 2 will be finding a new home back on the store shelf. 

wrote:
Pro 1 works well all around .pro2 all good except night vision which is very bad. I may just keep my pro 1 cameras and return pro2. Unless there is firmware fix

steve_t
Master Master
Master

TobyHonest,

Is it still really bad with the newest firmware?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations.    The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.   Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.   What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event.    Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes.

-Arlo Development Team

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Lol. I think you guys are either comedians or crooks or both at Arlo.

I have been using the Pro since release the quality is barely 480p and night vision is useless.

All don't fall For The spin or the expectation a firmware fix will resolve.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
So where's the solution to the poor night vision
Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation