Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Cbolos
Initiate
Initiate
Hello, it seems with the release of the new Arlo app the option to hide geofence enter/exit notifications has been removed? Is this true? If so it's a very annoying omission. Thanks.
83 REPLIES 83
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@RSC1 wrote:
Problem solved. The zone was centered around a different neighborhood address. If I had gone to their house, it would have disarmed. I don’t know how it set that address up.

I manually changed the address to mine in geofencing. The hope is that it don’t revert.

Good to hear you solved it.  I’m pretty sure I did something like that once a long time ago.

RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Except I didn't do it. It did it. I know my address and I did not enter the foreign address.

Today I had to log my wife out and back in, because it took a notion not to see her.

Seb56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello

I have the same problem : Arlo v2.10 (1487), geofencing notifications are disabled in iOS 13 settings, but I still receive plenty of notifications...

Please fix it !!!

Thanks

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Seb56 wrote:

Hello

I have the same problem : Arlo v2.10 (1487), geofencing notifications are disabled in iOS 13 settings, but I still receive plenty of notifications...

Please fix it !!!

Thanks

The notifications setting you see in Arlo Settings controls a location status notification for each base station or cameras that do not use a base station.  (Arlo Q + Q Plus, Go, etc). That notification, when turned on, will only show up when you login to the app.

You will still get iOS (or Android notifications for each of those devices when you enter or leave your geofencing zone.  Arlo software development inexplicably and irritatingly REMOVED our ability to turn off those notifications.  There was previously a setting in the geofencing mode that controlled this and allowed the users (who know their needs and system configurations) to decide which geofencing devices would send out operating system notifications.

However, you should only receive a notification when you enter or leave a geofencing zone.  You should also only receive one notification, if you only have one base station...and no other Arlo devices for which there are geofencing settings.

What iOS device(s) are you using? what Arlo products do you have associated with your Arlo mobile app?  All of this is necessary information for Arlo to even attempt to diagnose the issue, assuming they were inclined to do so.

i have multiple base stations and several Arlo Q family cameras at my locations, so I get a geofencing notification for each of those every time I enter and exit.  At one location that means I get six notifications every time I enter or leave my geofencing perimeter.  Before the new app was forced on us, I had control over this.  I could disable notifications for five of those six devices, but not now.  The folks in the conference room decided I didn’t need or deserve that control for some reason.

Seb56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

My device is iPhone 11 Pro, with iOS 13.1.3

I have one base VMB3010 with 3 Arlo camera from november 2016.

Each time I leave or come back homen or when I drive near my house, I got those f*** unwanted geofencing notifications, on my device and on my iWatch.

I went to settings, Arlo, notifications are already disabled...

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Seb56 wrote:

Hi,

My device is iPhone 11 Pro, with iOS 13.1.3

I have one base VMB3010 with 3 Arlo camera from november 2016.

Each time I leave or come back homen or when I drive near my house, I got those f*** unwanted geofencing notifications, on my device and on my iWatch.

I went to settings, Arlo, notifications are already disabled...

That is weird.

Do you track more than one iOS device for geofencing purposes?  I’m curious if iOS notifications would get triggered for both a phone and an iPad for example.  I haven’t tried that.  I use my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone for geofencing location tracking, but not two of my own devices.  

I am reaching here...this seems odd.  With my screwy configurations, I would expect my notifications to be the whacky ones, but they are not.

Seb56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only one device ; my iPad Pro has the application too, I don't know if notifications are triggered, I'll check that too.

I enabled Arlo notifications in iOS settings, I'll see this evening what's happening

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Seb56 wrote:

Only one device ; my iPad Pro has the application too, I don't know if notifications are triggered, I'll check that too.

I enabled Arlo notifications in iOS settings, I'll see this evening what's happening

If you enabled “Location In/Out Notifications” in iOS Settings for Arlo, you will see additional notifications when you login to the Arlo app after turning on this setting.

arcticamper
Initiate
Initiate

Shane,

Is Arlo conducting user testing? Do Arlo employees use the products they're designing? If so, I don't see how this decision would have ever made it to production. Customizing notifications are a vital component of a security app. Forcing notifications each time a mode changes not only desensitizes your users (bad) but leaves us no other option than to disable notifications altogether (worse). In addition, smart notifications are one of Arlo's flagship features that many of us are paying extra for. You're either tanking brand loyalty by irritating users each time we pull in and out of our driveways, or you're losing revenue when we cancel subscription services since "enhanced notifications, activity zones, and person detection" is now useless with notifications turned off. I guarantee the cost of running a few user tests on this feature would have been WAY cheaper than reversing the effects of this half-baked, rushed-to-market 'solution'.

It's nearly 2020. Customer products that rely on ease-of-use have zero excuses for poor UX; ESPECIALLY with something as sensitive as home security.

c_lee
Tutor
Tutor
Problem still persists for me on S6. Firmware/app auto update, (I checked, no new updates are offered--so auto update must be working). Not solved for me, but marked Solved in Community. What should I do now? Advice appreciated 🙂
hugggg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I created a community account purely to complain about this issue. Please fix it Arlo! (and indeed: this topic is not solved!)

Note: I'm on Android (and have had to stop using geofencing due to the annoying notifications), poor product choices..

wldrns1
Guide
Guide
We need to control Notification ourselves...we can handle it
Jleemar
Initiate
Initiate
When will notifications be fixed? What is the point of these devices if I don’t know when motion is detected. That’s more important then geofencing.
Jpmorganjr
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have multiple Arlo Pro & Q cameras. I get a barrage of notifications every time I leave and return to my geofencing area. It is obnoxious as I come and go regularly. Please reinstate the ability to turn these notifications off.
Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary
I looked on the Android app, and their is a Notifications option, in addition to the device option. What does this option do?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Phoney49 wrote:
I looked on the Android app, and their is a Notifications option...

Where are you looking?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary

@michaelkenward In modes under geofencing. It looks just like devices, but it says Notification

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

That is part of the mode setting for Geofencing. It sets which mobile device receives alerts.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Arloguy823
Initiate
Initiate
This really needs to be fixed. the geolocation notifications are incredibly obnoxious. I already know when I've left my geofence, why does my phone need to tell me? So bad.
Skadrum
Initiate
Initiate
Completely agree. I want to know when there is activity NOT when I leave the house... this is a pathetic downgrade in functionality.
KasperN
Initiate
Initiate
I'm not investing in expanding my Arlo system until this is fixed.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I just realized that I no longer receive ANY geofencing notifications.  Geofencing appears to be working properly, but once again the behavior with regard to notifications has changed.  Originally, I could control notifications in the geofencing setting in the app for each geofencing domain device.  Specifically , I mean if I have several Arlo-Q family cameras and one or more Arlo base stations, each of those (at one time) could be set to notify or not when I entered and exited my geofencing circle.  This used (in my case) iOS notifications, so I’d see the status change regardless of whether I was using the app or not.  Then in the new app, released when the previous app became demoted to “classic”, that setting in geofencing mode, was removed.  Then I’d get pinged by every one of my geofencing domains when I left or returned to the location.  Very annoying.  There was also the “Location in/out” notification setting in Arlo settings at the iOS level.  When this setting was active, I’d see a notification for each geofencing domain only when I logged into the Arlo app.

At some point the geofencing was broken again and I’d only get the iOS level notifications when I opened the app.  This was a few weeks ago.  Now I don’t appear to get any notifications regarding my geofencing status.

i just turned on the “Location in/out” setting to see if it behaves the same or differently than it did historically.

A long time ago in a place far far away, this all worked pretty well.  We could choose which geofencing aware device notified us at the iOS level when we entered or exited a geofencing perimeter.  Did some new software group take over support for the app and have no prior understanding of how the app was originally architected?

I will see how the Location In/Out setting works now to see if that has changed or not.

To be sure, I’m happy geofencing is once again working reliably...and that is far more important than my being notified as to my home and away status as perceived by the Arlo app.  I’m just curious about the behavior change.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I noticed this behaviour change when the new app was released and brought it to the attention of support. The settings are gone for notifications from each individual base station, so with multiple bases I get multiple notifications when I did not used to.

Agreed, very annoying.

Unfortunately the response from support with my mention of this change was “this change was done intentionally and is working as intended”....
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Dbensette wrote:
I noticed this behaviour change when the new app was released and brought it to the attention of support. The settings are gone for notifications from each individual base station, so with multiple bases I get multiple notifications when I did not used to.

Agreed, very annoying.

Unfortunately the response from support with my mention of this change was “this change was done intentionally and is working as intended”....

Yes.  That is what we were told at the time.  Our response was that removing the ability for consumers to tailor their configuration to their unique circumstances was a step in the wrong direction for both consumers and the company.

Arlouser010320
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, this is stupid to force a mode change notification.  First, I didn't realize my system was broken after the last upgrade so basically my app wasn't doing anything for a couple of months.  When I upgraded 2 weeks ago, then this new crap I cannot disable started up.  Finally tonight I was fed up with it and disabled notifications completely and started researching.  What this decision has done is had me turn off all notifications, period.  Defeats the purpose of having notifications on security type of equipment, but you tards forced my hand.  I will probably ebay my equipment and get an alternative.  Good job you jackwagons.