Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Different Ways of Powering Pro2 Cameras (VMS4430-P-10)

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

A year ago or a questioner was re-assured that you can leave the batteries in the camera and then plug in the AC powered micro-usb plug from the outside micro-usb jack to keep the unit permanently powered. That it won't damage the batteries as there is built-in protection for that. It seems to me there are two scenarios for this:

1. If the AC power adapter is a charger as well (5V, 1.8A output, .3A input) it will also have the necessary 9V within it somehow to re-charge the batteries. In that case unless the batteries stop re-charging, the camera should remain charged indefinitely--if I'm guessing right--and so that will almost be the equivalent of just direct AC power--but actually running through the batteries.

2. If the AC power adapter is simply an AC-DC converter (5V, 2A output, .3A input) and the USB micro plug is put in the camera's outside usb connection--same as battery charging. Since this adapter will not have the 9V within it for re-charging purposes, a) will the AC power recharge the batteries insufficiently so that eventually the charge will not be enough? or b)will the AC power adapter power the camera enough and it won't matter how much charge is in the batteries?

I ask this because scenario 3 is to remove the batteries and attach the micro-usb plug not on the outside like for the batteries, but on the inside usb microplug--see attached photo--which will direct-wire the AC to the unit? The only problem with this setup is that the back camera door cannot be closed fully and might have to be removed for a clean appearance. I bought both kinds of adapters and will see which works better in the coming week. I have both a LANMU adapter-charger and another brand's simple power adapter for both scenarios, of the third where I remove the batteries. Greatly appreciate your thoughts. The photo I took off the arlo community site so it may not accurately reflect my particular PRO-2 camera. I'm assuming that if the batteries are removed, then plugging any adapter cord into the outside micro-usb jack will not power the unit as the batteries are part of the connectivity for that jack.

Camera open back1sm.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The charger is a Qualcom type that puts out dual voltage of 5 and 9 v depending on what the circuit sees internally... 

The batteries are 7.2v which need to be charged up to 8.4v... At 5v the battery as far as the camera sees is close to dead... As per the battery circuitry.

The battery is not fed directly thu the port, other circuitry is built in 

So , yes you can run the camera on just a 5v USB but the battery will never be charged enough to run it...so if just at 5v pull the battery or it may have issues down the road starting to charge ( as it reads to low  as some have experience in not charging but needing to repeat a start charge up to 6 x)

Also of mention is that the ac charger never really charges the battery to 100% if it is in the camera ( once again camera charger circuitry) ... It really only charges to 80% capacity, tho the battery reads 100. This is to prevent long term overcharging of battery.

The only true way to get a true 100% charge is in the charging tube externally.

Btw, if I remember correctly, only the Arlo HD ( 4 - 123 cells )camera had an internal USB port and that was for some sort of programming only...people using this port has fried more than a few cameras.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The charger is a Qualcom type that puts out dual voltage of 5 and 9 v depending on what the circuit sees internally... 

The batteries are 7.2v which need to be charged up to 8.4v... At 5v the battery as far as the camera sees is close to dead... As per the battery circuitry.

The battery is not fed directly thu the port, other circuitry is built in 

So , yes you can run the camera on just a 5v USB but the battery will never be charged enough to run it...so if just at 5v pull the battery or it may have issues down the road starting to charge ( as it reads to low  as some have experience in not charging but needing to repeat a start charge up to 6 x)

Also of mention is that the ac charger never really charges the battery to 100% if it is in the camera ( once again camera charger circuitry) ... It really only charges to 80% capacity, tho the battery reads 100. This is to prevent long term overcharging of battery.

The only true way to get a true 100% charge is in the charging tube externally.

Btw, if I remember correctly, only the Arlo HD ( 4 - 123 cells )camera had an internal USB port and that was for some sort of programming only...people using this port has fried more than a few cameras.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, the photo certainly isn't a Pro2 camera.

Arlo's advice is generally to power the cameras with the battery still inside.  However, they do point out in one kb articie that removing the battery will allow the camera to run at hotter temperatures (up to 72C).  https://kb.arlo.com/000049581/My-Arlo-Pro-2-camera-is-overheating-while-in-a-very-warm-environment-w...

They don't recommend your scenario 3 (and if I recall correctly, the "inside" connector in your photo isn't there in the Pro-2).

Pro-2.png

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks TomMac and StephenB; sure beats waiting on the helpline for hours and not getting answers half as clear as these.

So the good news is that the outside micro-usb port WILL work if I pull the batteries. So the 5V 2A output .3A input adapter should work then. The good part about ordering the Lanmu charger--which I won't be using now--is that it not only has a 15ft cable but more importantly a 75º angled micro-usb connection that supposedly will allow more freedom to position the camera.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... that pic is an Arlo HD  ( 4-123 cells ) and the only one with an internal usb ( pic wasn't there when I orig answered )

That usb port tho used by a few had issues... to burning out and/or not working 100%.

The more approved version ( tho NONE by Arlo ) was direct wiring to the contacts ( all 4 ) inside and running the camera from approx a 8v dc source.  ( as the batteries are in paired sets of 3.2 v each or 6.4v total ... OR if rechargeables a pair of 3.7v li-ion for 7.4v total ( off charge a max of 8.4 v per pair ))

ZULU9ER
Aspirant
Aspirant

-.-. --- .-. .-. - 🙂

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation