Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connect your base station directly to cable modem for firmware & connection issues (Potential fix)

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
huntsystems
Follower
Follower

I have one of the older Arlo systems (3030) and one of the newer Pro (4030P) systems. I was recently told I needed to update the firmware on the 3030 system due to it not connecting to the internet correctly. For the past 2 years the system was connected to a WiFi extender (netgear extender) that has an ethernet port that plugged into the base station. Out of the blue sometime in June of 2019 the base station was unreachable. I reset the system, factory reset it, removed it from the account, removed all cameras and re-added everything (3 times) but nothing worked. I was also experiencing issues with my Arlo Pro 2 4030P base station around the same time. I would get alerts, but I could not connect to the cameras or base station.

During my chat(s) with Arlo Support, they all suggested that I connect the base station directly to the cable modem. One location I have uses Xfinity, the other uses ATT. 2 different modems for internet. I have read over and over that you can connect the base stations to WiFi extenders and other devices internal to a home network so I continually just ignored this request. End result is that if you can not connect to your base station or if the cameras continually go offline, then connecting the base station DIRECTLY to your cable modem will 100% resolve the issue. Don’t try connecting through a switch or ethernet hub, no wifi routers or extenders.  Just DIRECT ETHERNET CABLE between cable modem and base station. I know this can potentially limit your camer range and may not be a great location to put this device but it is what it is. 

Hoping some day they resolve this and allow end users to connect these devices through their own home network like most other manufactures do. For now this stabilized everything for me. Hope this helps you too.

1 REPLY 1
CMarshall85
Aspirant
Aspirant
You should ONLY do this when your cable modem has a built-in router. In fact I would recommend editing your post to direct users to connect it directly to the router (which may or may not be in the modem). If you connect it directly to the modem with no router, then you have no firewall between Arlo and the internet, essentially making your security system less secure.
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation