Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using the Arlo Pro2 and  my MacPro running El Capitan to view my recordings.   When I try to play back my recordings from my Library nothing happens.  I get the window showing the still shot and the Play icon but nothing happens when I click on it.   If  I try it in Chrome it works fine but I prefer to watch it on my main browswer Safari.    I am up to date with Flash Player on Safari.

Is there a fix for this?

11 REPLIES 11
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @daleslad,

Are you running the latest version on your Safari? Have you tried running on incognito/private mode to see if that helps? Also try clearing your cache or cookies.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JessicaP,  Sorry for the late reply but I was out of state for a few days.

Yes I am using the latest version of Safari and I tried clearing the cache, but I'm not sure what you mean about running on incognito/private mode.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Read here on how to browse in Private Mode on Safari: Browse in private in Safari on Mac.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JessicaP,  I use DuckDuckGo on my browser all of the time to get private browsing, but I tried the Safari private window and it didn't help.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@daleslad wrote:

Thanks JessicaP,  I use DuckDuckGo on my browser all of the time to get private browsing, but I tried the Safari private window and it didn't help.

A couple of observations here.  First, I suspect that Safari (which ships with macOS) on El Capitan is not the latest version of a Safari which I believe only comes with Mojave.  You are running whatever the latest version was that shipped with El Capitan.  Second, “Duck Duck Go” is a search engine that does not track our searches like Google does, but it is not the same thing as Private Mode browsing.  They are two different things.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks   Safari is the latest one for El Capitan,  are you saying that I will have to upgrade to Mohave to run these videos on my  Mac.  What about Sierra and High Sierra will I have to skip them or just use a Chrome or Firefox browser.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@daleslad wrote:

Thanks   Safari is the latest one for El Capitan,  are you saying that I will have to upgrade to Mohave to run these videos on my  Mac.  What about Sierra and High Sierra will I have to skip them or just use a Chrome or Firefox browser.

I don’t know if there is any problem with Arlo on El Capitan.  However, I’d always recommend updating to the most recent version of macOS that is supported by your hardware unless you know there is a problem with a critical software package you use and that new version of macOS.  That’s the only way to keep up with new features and the latest security enhancements.  Especially on Apple devices, software vendors quickly adopt and adapt to the newest versions of the os, because they know Mac users update their systems faster than any other user group and a huge percentage  of Mac users run the latest version of macOS within just a few months of its release.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

This is purely a data point, but I can run Arlo library videos on my 2017 MacBook Pro running Mojave.

This, of course, does not prove that your problem is El Capitan.  But it does prove that Arlo videos do play on at least one version of Safari.

if you haven’t already done so, you might try deleting your cache/cookies for Arlo under Safari Preferences.  And reboot your Mac just for kicks.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hear you loud and clear,  I tend to be a bit of laggard when it comes to upgrading.  I figure if it is does what I want it to do then  why change.  I will try going to Sierra or High Sierra next and see if that helps.  It would be nice to know if someone else has been able to playback  videos on one of the other systems.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

You are welcome. 

I started using Arlo in the summer of 2015, so I suspect I was using it on El Capitan for about a year back then...and I’ve used it on each macOS since then, but Arlo has evolved, so I can’t say if the current version of the Arlo web app stil, works on those platforms.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks AncientGeek,   I got these cameras for Christmas but only found the time to get one mounted a week or so ago and I'm already wishing they had been another brand.

I wanted wireless cameras because it's almost impossible for me to use AC powered camera on the outside.   Unfortunately I only just found out that I can't get more than one activity zone with wireless and also don't get the 3 second pre-recording.   

With them being a gift I didn't get the chance to do research on them,  if I had I wouldn't have chosen them.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation