Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera does not see people on the road or keep recording during movement. Tried resetting.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Figamo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

*I have my system adjusted to the most sensitive setting. It picks up cars driving by, but not people walking by or into the driveway. The road is about 30 feet away (picks up every car driving by).  Additionally, I have noticed it does not keep recording when there is movement - I am talking about movement that is even closer, 15 feet or less, and directly on the porch in front of the camera.

*The camera is set up to keep recording until the movement stops.  

*It is plugged in, so it is not a battery issue.

*I had to reset the whole system a few months back, and that did not correct this problem.

Anyone have any idea? Is this fixable, or just a product flaw?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, the PIR device that detects is good for people to 25 ft or less...cars a bit more as they reflect mor ir.

Second, I never found the “record till motion stops “ to work well for me...if the cam doesn’t see motion it shuts off. Always found a fixed time to perform better.

If you want to cover the street 30+ ft away, it prob not going to work well.

But the Q camera with pixel detection ( over pir ) in my window get every car and person at 50+ ft..... so it’s more design 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Figamo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the answer. I guess it’s just a bit flaky then. I understand it not picking up the people - but not continuing to record makes no sense. Example - someone pulls into the drive way (well within 20 feet), the camera stops and then doesn’t pick them up coming up to the door. Or, I take the trash out and it picks me up, but then doesn’t pick me up coming back up the steps and into the house. I understand that perhaps it stopped seeing motion (although it is supposed to continue on for several seconds after motion stops) but then when the “new” motion starts, the camera should start. Oh well.

What is a Q camera?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget there is a reset time from one trigger event to another....

So, after the camera sees no motion it stops recording and then may take up to 20 secs to reset ( so no recording ), which is why I recommend a fixed time of 30 - 60 secs.

Q cam;

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-q/default.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Security-Storage-Included-VMC3240/dp/B01G7JERCY

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation