Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
I have a camera sited about 6mts from a public road. There is no visual sight of the road on the camera and the PIR does not detect motion until about 3mtrs from the road but I keep getting a motion detection when heavy / noisy vehicles pass by eg tractors, buses, gritters etc.
I've swapped the camera but it's still occurring.
Can anyone advise please?
Dave
16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You may have the AUDIO trigger set too...

you can have motion, audio, or both set.

Edit the mode to toggle off or turn off mic in settings

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
Hi
Audio not selected (or I wouldn't have raised it as a concern).
The actual notification states motion detected and so does the recording.
This is what's so confusing.
I thought there may be vibration through the camera but is 6 myrs away mounted to the main gable end of the house so it's a firm base.
D
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you already swaped the camera and it still occurs, it must be the location.

some how the IR of the roadway/vehicles is being reflected or the PIR covers more than the FOV

Only option may be to temp move the camera ( or fov )  and see if it continues to confirm same

Morse is faster than texting!
Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

You could also try to turn down the sensitivity of the motions and see if this reduces notifications during heavy traffic. 

daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
Hi Louis
Yes I have reduced the sensitivity to the bare minimum but can't go further as it won't cover my door to the house, which does seem to have reduced the false alarms.
But why is it even detecting sound on a PIR I've never experienced this with any other PIR triggered equipment such as lights and intruder alarms?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That means your modes and rules have audio detection enabled. Edit them and deselect audio detection. The PIR doesn't do that, the mic on the camera does. I know you have said that audio isn't selected but it must be. Post a screenshot of your rule if that's incorrect.

daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
Guru
Not sure what you mean reference rules.
The audio is off on the cameras and when it triggers both the notification and video clip state motion detection?
D
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Reference rules?"

Where is the audio turned off? It's not in your camera settings, it's in your modes.  I have a feeling you're changing things in the settings and not in the rules. Read the FAQs here on changing sensitivity and other settings if you're not familiar with this.

daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
I have attached a screenshot (I hope)
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Perfect! That proves you have audio disabled. However, you say that the videos are noted as "motion" - if it was due to audio, that would be noted as such. Why are you sure the videos are somehow being triggered by audio?

daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
Because the PIR doesn't pic up motion until you are well into the field of view of the camera, the road is not in the field of view of the camera but we have recognised the triggers occur when large vehicles (noisy vehicles) pass the premises.
The notifications state motion and the video tags state motion but the only constant is a noisy large vehicle passing out of shot and some 6mtrs from the camera position.
It's very puzzling but obviously very annoying also.
D
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My guess is that the large vehicles reflect the sun's IR in large amounts. This could be reflecting off other objects causing the detection. Does this happen on very cloudy days or at night?

daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
Yes we have been getting a number through the night from gritters working in the current weather.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a link to one of your daytime videos (in the Library, select a video and use the share icon to copy the link and paste it here) so we can see/hear. Maybe that will provide a clue.

daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
I've reduced the motion detection sensitivity to the minimum I can with it still picking up directly in front of camera and (touch wood) appears to have resolved the detection.
I still don't understand why, as the detection was nowhere near the road but seems to have worked.
Thanks for all your input
D
daviidpointon69
Guide
Guide
If you see previous posts audio off, and I believe microphone is for sound recording once triggered.
The reduction of PIR sensitivity seems to have done the trick but strange as the detection done was some 3-4 MTRS from the road and the road was not in the field of view of the camera.
D
Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation