Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Denny_C80
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo Pro2 base station with 3 cameras and no paid subscription service in Australia. I have been noticing that the app (Android Samsung Galaxy S7) has become painfully slow to connect to servers and refresh status/mode in recent months. So much so it often states the device is offline but an app refresh usually sorts that out.... eventually. Google home control both direct in home app or via IFTTT recipes has also become very hit and miss. There are days where everything fails and other days where the commands work after a couple of attempts. Is anyone else experiencing this? (Also just tied the support live chat service using three different browsers and all of them gave blank screens).

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master
So you’re base station is not locking up multiple times a day then?
Denny_C80
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not believe so, but are there base log files that can be accessed to verify this? Starting back several months ago, when the Android app was being slow/timed out, the Google home voice command IFTTT recipes still worked which would suggest there was nothing wrong with the base but in recent weeks now everything is lagging. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
Regards the base station log file, if there is, the user has no access to them.
It is possible for me to identify when the base station has locked up as it is preceded by cloud recordings with garbled audio. This is a sign that the base is clogging and it stops internet communication.
If you have USB backup activated you can then compare the USB recordings as they continue to be recorded, and the cloud recordings that will be missing.
When the base finishes chocking, usually up to an hour later, the base starts communication with the internet but you will likely have some weird effects until the base station power is cycled. (Mine are TZ changes, siren failure, corruption of camera modes to name a few.)
Hope this helps.
Denny_C80
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to know, I do have a USB drive recording so will cross compare cloud and local files. I haven't noticed any weird effects though just this initial unresponsiveness and having to send commands multiple times to get a response.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Another way for me to know when the base station has locked up is that the base station will not restart using the option in the app or web portal, the later comes back with a busy communicating to camera error.
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

@Denny_C80 wrote:

[...]

I have been noticing that the app (Android Samsung Galaxy S7) has become painfully slow to connect to servers and refresh status/mode in recent months. So much so it often states the device is offline but an app refresh usually sorts that out.... eventually.

[...]

Yep.  I'm seeing the same problem with the app on my OP6T running Android 9.  It's not just you.

The modes tab never appears and device status is never populated.  I don't think it's load-related but most likely bug-related since if I open the app, wait about 2 seconds, clear the activity, then start it again immediately, the mode tab and device status gets populated within 5-6 seconds (i.e. slow, but typical).

I think this started 1-2 months ago.  There have been a few app updates during that period.

This doesn't appear to affect the iOS version of the app, from what I can tell.

- Mark

Apprentice
Apprentice
Am seeing same thing. IMO either Arlo is grossly incompetent or possibly some bad actor is hacking and denying service on Arlo and Arlo neither wants to disclose nor is capable of fending it off. I'm not a techie but IMO it's one or the other given the duration of this fisasco.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I would have to wonder the same. Seems the more you post here, the worse your problems get.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation