Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Waymar
Guide
Guide

Please can you return the basic camera to the position you had it before this update.  I liked to be able to see at a glance which camera had a low battery or had just been activated. It was previously visible on the devices screen without having to open each camera.

342 REPLIES 342
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do you revert it back?
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes I miss that.
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree. But someone got paid a lot of overtime to scew this up. They won't admit they made a mistake. They think we just dont want to change the way we use arlo.
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
Costco will quit selling them to their customers because they listen to us. I agree, complain to Costco.
phlare
Initiate
Initiate
Since the app update on iOS I can no longer see battery life for my cameras at a glance and have to go into each device settings page. It shows for a split second and then disappears.
ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm not sure about battery life but I can say that the Wi-Fi signal will appear if it gets too weak. I wonder if the same thing goes for the battery if it gets too low maybe it will show up. I'm hoping they'll update the app again and add some of these features back in though...
Nichols55
Star
Star

What is the purpose of the giant square in the middle of my iphone videos?   

Nichols55
Star
Star

Agreed.  Took me a few minutes thinking my cameras had gotten mixed up.   

phlare
Initiate
Initiate
Yeah i’ll Keep an eye on it. You might be right.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
The new app design is TERRIBLE. I can't find anything that will tell me if the "local recording" is working. And having to click on and check each and every camera for battery life is STUPIDITY at the highest level! I have eight cameras! I don't have half an hour to check battery life! AND WHERE DO I CHECK TO SEE IF LOCAL RECORDING IS WORKING?

GIVE US THE OLD APP BACK, NOW!!!
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
The newest app design is complete garbage! Roll it back! Roll it back!
Retired_Member
Not applicable

DavidCruiseSF, when you view your videos from library do they appear more grainy sfter the update? Less than 1080p? More like 720?

well mine does and i have Arlo Pro 2.

Yazmine
Guide
Guide
I don't like the latest update because key items are missing from the opening page under devices on Android app. Status for all cameras at a glance is no more availible. There are other so called enhancement that are not enhancement and poorly done. Please undo
DavidCruiseSF
Star
Star
Yes! and in live mode, it looks really grainy in low light. Also, the refresh rate looks really slow.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

From the App store Arlo:

”We’ve also refined the design of our app to put the important information front and center.”

How ironic is this. They actually REMOVED important information ie battery icon, motion icon and wifi, and made it less user friendly. Whoever approved this change should be fired!

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good luck! 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

You got 10 cameras? Have fun checking the battery percentage for each camera LOL!

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PerryArlo wrote:
You also can’t see all activity zones at once, like you used to. The old interface was fine, but now if I want to tile different zones to make sure to cover one area and exclude another, it’s really difficult.

Yes! Especially handy if you got an iPad Pro 12.9”

Tranp10
Initiate
Initiate
*Sigh* I am tired of Arlo useless updates. I am here still complaining till this day about the notification sound for iOS. No way to change the sound. Now my Arlo Q live stream is laggy. Did not happen before update. I also agree with other people losing the battery, motion, signal strength icons. Now we are required to click more buttons just to see those settings.. I regret buying this camera system. Why fix something that is not broken??
trainland
Tutor
Tutor

this update SUCKS big time, cannot use microphone push to talk, the toolbar menu does not stay like the old version. The only reason I am using this camera is to be able to talk to my son with Autism and is now useless!!

Jtxnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Indeed as mentioned in my prior post on this we urgently need the UI for the camera view returned to the prior design whereby Activity, WiFi, and Battery indicators were not two plus (plus being for multiple cameras) clicks away, however,  early this morning I found that when one of my camera’s battery level went to 7% (which prompted the standard email and iOS notification) on the new UI an orange low battery indicator continually stays present next to the 3 dots on the new interface.  

So I suspect the developer/designers of the new UI were perhaps thinking we only need to see an indicator when a camera’s batteries are at a critical level.   Sadly, though, this further emphasizes how they are not in touch with how real users admin their cameras.   We want to know not when we just have a day or less to change a camera’s batteries, but the trending of the discharge of multiple cameras quickly so we can anticipate when we should schedule battery changes.   Example: you are going away for the weekend and you note one camera’s batteries are at 65% from your quick scan of the prior version’s UI so you proactively change the batteries because from experience you know the battery discharge capacity is not linear (in over two years of experience with this system I have found that it can take 2 months of normal use to go from 100% to 80%, but just one day from 65% to 5%).   Perhaps if in the settings for the new UI they provided a threshold control for wifi and battery levels that determined based on such variable setting whether those icons would appear on the main camera view that could be a fix, but the key is the *** threshold level must be configurable*** so if for example I was going out of town for a while I would want to see the battery warning indicator on the default camera view if the battery was less than 80% yet for normal day to day I may go with the battery indicator showing up at 60% or even less (Depending on the weather).

Anyway. . . .without such major fixes for the new UI we need the old UI back ASAP.

jamesglewisf
Apprentice
Apprentice
You stated that perfectly. Before I leave town for 2-7 days, I checked the battery level of each of my cameras at a glance with the old version

And if I wanted to test motion and audio easily, I could look at the icons while roaming.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Jtxnet:  My battery experience doesn’t match yours, but my monitoring of battery levels is likely similar.  I pay close attention to my travel plans and battery levels.  I monitor four locations that are an hour or so apart, so it is important to know when a battery is at 40%, if I don’t plan to be on-site for several weeks or more.  Under the prior UI, I could look at the battery levels on all cameras on a site with a glance and immediately know if I should swap one or more on my upcoming visit.

Isnt funny how the “Arlo Community” doesn’t include any of the management or developers in charge of maintaining and evolving the Arlo family of products?  We get one well-meaning community rep.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Dear Arlo Product Managment & Development

I really liked your previous dashboard style UI for my camera system.  With a glance, I could see recent images from each camera, observe battery levels and signal strength and generally see the status of the system.  It was a market leading UI...why did you destroy a market leading UI?  What input did you solicit from the community of your best Arlo customers when considering design alternatives?

There were plenty of problems with the system, don’t get me wrong.  And as users we would have cheered you for actually fixing the problems.  Instead, you have wasted precious time and resources making changes that devalued your system and sacrificed goodwill with your customers.

What were you thinking?

emt803
Star
Star

I have called and spoke to customer support this morning. They admitted that this was a flaw in the update and are suppose to be correcting it. They created a case to keep up with the number of complaints they are getting about it.