Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
dircm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am a new customer.  I purchased an Arlo Pro 2 4 camera pack.

I also own a Netgear Nighthawk M1 router (MR1100) with latest firmware.

I have not been able to pair any Arlo Pro 2 cameras with the Nighthawk router.

Here is what I have tried so far :

1. Enabled the Nighthawk as an Arlo base station as per instructions here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDdVzSdH_A

2. Initiated a camera pair but camera nevers "finds" the Netgear base station

3. Paired the camera with the Arlo Base Station from the box and updated base station and camera firmware to latest.  Deleted camera.

4. Tried step 1 again, no success.

Has anyone used the MR1100 as an Arlo Base Station succesfully ?

Thanks, Tom

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been done in the past. I don't know of a reason it wouldn't work now. Since I don't have an M1, I don't know what the process would be so can't offer suggestions there.

Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Dircm

I too have had problems with the M1.  Firstly I could not link a camera to it using the M1's wizzard as it just stopped at the "looking for firmware upggrade" stage.  Eventually got it to work when using an iPad to set up rather than an andriod device.

As to not being able to attach a camera... the only way I have managed to synch a camera is setting Arlo up from scratch with the M1's wizzard.  I have been completely unable to add a second camera no matter how I try. 

I lodged a complaint with Arlo support a few months ago but as usual no joy.  Last communication from them was to request all the orgininal particulars again.  Contacting support is a complete waste of time and effort.

Might I suggest just resetting the M1 and trying to set it up from scratch again?  It worked for me in that I do have one camera attached.  BTW you'll need to remove the battery if you want to run the M1 on power or it will overheat.

Good Luck

Bagabond

felix_oslo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem, tried to reset the router several times, but I'm unable to connect the router to the camera through the web interface and app.

Finding a support email is impossible:(

Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Felix.

You pays your money and you takes your chances!

Unfortunately it seems that Arlo/Netgear are happy to take our money but not deliver what we have paid for.  I've had lots of interaction with ARLO staff with many wonderful phone calls but the end result is that absolutely nothing has changed. 

Unfortunately this has been my usual Arlo experience over several issues and years.  ARLO has the doccumentation to support my contention.

My experience has led me to believe that ARLO support is merely a pretence.

Heaven help us!

Wilr86
Aspirant
Aspirant
I understand the NETGEAR nighthawk M1 has previously been supported as a base station however all the set up instructions show this option when setting up, however it is not listed as an option in my Arlo software when setting up. Is the M1 still supported and if so why can’t I see it as an option
SecBust
Star
Star

The MR 1100 is no longer compatible with the Arlo Pro cameras as a base station.  I have spent the last 12 months troubleshooting this issue with Arlo to now be told that a solution, if one is indeed possible, is months away.  The issue relates to the separation of net gear and Arlo.  Net gear are continuing to provide updates for the MR 1100, however, Arlo have not provided updates for the internal Arlo software in the unit (From memory the last one was 2017 or early 2018).

The only way you may be able to get an Arlo camera to synchronise with the MR 1100 Is to find a camera with very old firmware (from 2017 or early 2018) and attempt the process with that camera.  If you do manage to synchronise the camera with the MR 1100, you will then be in for a world of pain as all of the bugs which have been resolved and all of the improvements are made by firmware updates (camera battery drain and image enhancements) will not be available to your system.  In addition, the Arlo firmware within the MR 1100 Is not stable and may require a reboot of the MR 1100, despite the system having power and Internet.

My suggestion is that you keep well away from synchronising the MR 1100 with Arlo cameras.  Perhaps if they ever resolve the Lack of firmware updates for the Arlo software within the MR 1100, It will again be a good unit.  

felix_oslo
Aspirant
Aspirant

It works fine for me now. I bought a brand new Arlo Pro 2 camera with MR 1100 when I posted the issue, after that, I went to the shop and upgraded my Arlo Cam from an Arlo Hub. After the upgrade, the pairing went just fine. I can't save to the SD card though, but the design does not allow this anyway, so that isn't a bug. But the camera itself, with the hub is stable and working after the upgrade.

The camera is using firmware 1.125.13.0_31717, and the router is using 1.9.8.0_16666

SecBust
Star
Star

I am pleased you were able to get it to synchronise.  At one point, I did the same as you, update the camera on an Arlo base station, and had success with synchronising it with the MR 1100.  At first it showed the most recent firmware update for the camera.  Then it reverted (I still have this one particular camera connected to the MR 1100) to 1.125.8.0_19174 A short time later.  All other cameras I have attempted to synchronise have failed.   I am curious to see how long yours stays with the latest firmware?

felix_oslo
Aspirant
Aspirant

It has been running since the beginning of October, with one day down because MR 1100 received new firmware. After upgrading this, everything went up just fine again, but I only have one camera.

Ntgrfailedme
Aspirant
Aspirant
If it worked then miserably it should be illegal to make it not work now I spent good money on your products to be told I need a update to keep using it to then be told update not available on my device I want my money back I dont care how long ago I bought this or you need to send me a basestation to make it work cause not everyone works for netgear making I guess enough money to go buy new netgear a when ever you decide to do a update and this is implying that the poor don’t deserve the right to be safe like the rich do and I’m furious
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation