Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
_mcb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’d like to plug 2 (or more) Arlo Pro 2 cameras into a single power adapter that is capable of charging the batteries.  Can anyone recommend a compatable 3rd-party multi USB port power adapter?

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It won't work the adapter that came with the camera will only support 1 camera.

Not to mention the adapter is a dual voltage USB like Qualcomm 

Also a 3rd party supply if there is one would void your warranty if any issues

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Is this just for charging the batteries, or do you want to have the cameras on permanent mains power?

If the former, than any USB charger will work. Arlo comes with a dual-voltage adapter, but a simple 5 volt charger will work with Arlo Pro 2 cameras. (Pro 1 may be different) I use a multi-USB adapter all the time.

I have not tried running cameras with a third party adapter, so can't comment if that is your goal.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
_mcb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  To clarify, I want to have 2 Arlo Pro 2 cameras, with batteries, connected to main power using a single power adapter.  I want the power adapter to be capable of keeping the batteries charged in case of power failure.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@_mcb wrote:

I want the power adapter to be capable of keeping the batteries charged in case of power failure.

That is a third scenario.

Always connected to the mains, but not using the Arlo features that need "always on" power, like zones.

I can't see why that would't work, but it seems like an odd requirement, so I doubt if many people have tried it.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I doubt that the typical charges can supply sufficient current to run 2 cameras. The cameras will run off the external power normally and will keep the battery charged but the specs on the charger very likely only support one device being connected. Even if it did work, you'd be running the charger at its peak, reducing reliability.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jguerdat wrote:

I doubt that the typical charges can supply sufficient current to run 2 cameras.

Are we talking about running the cameras?

I got the impression that it was about keeping them charged.

5 volts can charge a Pro 2, but don't you need 9 volts to run?

Just another user
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you plug in a camera, the power comes from the supply, not the battery. It really doesn't matter if you're keeping the batteries topped off - the cameras are getting power from the wall supply.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation