Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Constantly missing movement..

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Underwhelming
Initiate
Initiate
I have this particular camera that is at about a 45 degree angle to the front of my house.. The entire house is in view, as well as the entire driveway, and a little snippet of the street. All day long I'll get notifications for motion and when I open it it's either trees blowing in the wind or cars driving by on that little snippet of road... That's fine. But today I come home to a heavy package delivered to my porch, all banged up and torn. I know the guy had to back into my driveway for this (100lbs+ package) so I scroll through my captured motion events. Nothing. Not him pulling in, not him walking down the driveway, not him carrying the package or placing it down, and not him walking back to the truck and pulling out. These areas are all highly visible, much more so than the piece of road that constantly sets the camera off- and much closer to the camera as well. These cameras were not cheap.. In fact, they were very expensive. Why is this happening? Everything is up to date, everything is well within WiFi range, battery is at almost 100% and motion sensitivity is at the highest. Not cool...
5 REPLIES 5
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It catches motion from side to side not head on. I had to move mine to get it right. I would use the motion test at night works best and adjust it. The orange light will blink when motion is detected
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As mentioned above, the motion detection is generally better at capturing side to side motion. Careful camera placement can improve motion detection, take a look at the following positioning tips for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

JamesC

Underwhelming
Initiate
Initiate
Hi guys..

I understand how the camera works. See the attached picture. The red area is the tiny area that sets the motion detection off when a car goes by. The blue is the entire length of the driveway and porch area that only selectively goes off. If the camera is inconsistent then it is pointless, because as I said, when I actually needed it, it was no help at all.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Agree its inconsistent. Its a flaw. My motion detection varies with the heat and sun . at 8 am 55% picks up everyone on sidewalk. At noon only cars unless i put it at 100%
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And that's exactly why you can create custom modes with different settings and schedule them so it works best.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation