Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
AML1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo Pro 2 several months ago and finally got around to removing my old system and replacing it with the Arlo. My old system was only 4 cameras so I really wanted the 6 cameras. Now that I have been using it I would really like one more to cover a dead spot. 

So I was planning on just purchasing an add on camera, mounting it, and being done with it. 

Doing a search on here it says I can add up to 15 cameras on my base station but it would require a subscription. So looking up online it says the basic system is for up to 5 cameras. Well my system came with 6 and there is no subscription. So is that accurate? If I purchase another camera and connect it will it not work without a subscription? 

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm ot clear as to what you have and what you're trying to do. The 6 camera pack has a special selection needed when first setting up the system. If you don't choose the right model you only get 5 cameras in your free plan. It's not something you can get again or redo.  Do you have the special 6 camera set or are you just trying to add a camera that brings your total to 6?

AML1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry @jguerdat I didn’t realize that. I have the system that included 6. I was looking to add an additional camera to make 7. I guess I am glad I didn’t start with the set of 4 and then try and add an additional 2 or 3. Thanks for answering the question.

Modenacart
Guide
Guide

What Arlo does not tell you on their product description is that you can't view or locally record for more than five cameras.  They only say you don't get the free seven day cloud recording.  This is a clear bait and switch tactic by a dishonest company.  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Modenacart wrote:

What Arlo does not tell you on their product description is that you can't view or locally record for more than five cameras. 

Not sure that I follow this, but I am currently recording locally from eight or nine cameras of various generations.

Viewing those recordings is through Direct Storage Access:

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

Not the  most reliable feature, but it does exist.

When it comes to cloud recordings, you just have to pay for extra cameras beyond the five allowed in a basic subscription.

Perhaps I misunderstood the warning from @Modenacart.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I think the poster meant;  Can't stream more than 5 cams at same time.  ( which was true in past )

But now, with flash gone it allows more than 5... only issue is the Bandwidth is not enough and I find some of the cameras pausing and refreshing in rotation.( after 6 )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@TomMac wrote:

I think the poster meant;  Can't stream more than 5 cams at same time.  ( which was true in past )

Could be. Hard to know. Hence my qualifying comment.

@TomMac wrote:

But now, with flash gone it allows more than 5... only issue is the Bandwidth is not enough and I find some of the cameras pausing and refreshing in rotation.( after 6 )

That's bound to happen. Bandwidth will determine what you can do.

Those of us stuck on 60 Mbps can't expect to see the same thing as those on 1 Gbps.

I can stream as many as I like, but as you say they can start stuttering if the load is too heavy.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
AML1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually, I just wanted to know if I could purchase an additional stand alone camera and add it to my original set of 6 cameras. Bringing it to a total of 7 cameras without having to pay for a subscription. I just want some additional “eyes” on a part of the house that isn’t already covered. 

So would it work without paying for a subscription?

Modenacart
Guide
Guide
In the app you cannot view more than five Pro 2 cameras at a time or local record without a subscription. I know because it wouldn’t let me activate it and I couldn’t view it at all. Tech support said you cannot active more than five without paying.
Modenacart
Guide
Guide
You can creat two accounts and share the cameras. It is a pain but that is what my wife and I had to do. The app will force you to pay to add more than the free you can get free cloud storage for.
AML1
Aspirant
Aspirant

With the exception if you had bought a set of 6. As I have 6 cameras and can view all 6 without paying for a subscription. 

Modenacart
Guide
Guide
The point is it is no where in the description in the website. This is a clear sign the company is running deceptive scheme to get people to buy service.
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I have 5 camera package & have never paid a subscription.

If the quality is the same (free v. monthly fee)  there's no friggin' way I'd pay a monthly fee for this crap quality.

This is the only reason i haven't switched to another brand. (because I'm not paying a monthly fee)

But as I've said for the past year...it never used to look like this, it used to be crystal clear 1080p. ....Now it's less than 720p.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation