Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

Hi everyone,

Recently my free cloud recording storage expired so I tried to set up local recording by inserting USB flash drives into my HUB (VMB4000r3). So after some time I wanted to try to read these USBs but Windows 10 wont see them at all. Wehn I look at the disk management i can see drives there and since I cant access anything on these drives since Windows doesnt see it in file explorer I wanted to format them using disk management but error keeps showing with error "system canot find the file specified) . Did anyone have  these issues?

Thanks

image 1.PNG
30 REPLIES 30
Dannybear
Master
Master
Question to ask is if you ejected the USB device using the arlo app before removing it from the base station.
There is a format function in the arlo app under the base station settings if that is a help.
stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

Definitly did eject first

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could just be a bad drive - have you tried a different one?

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

yes. I had two usb flash drives both healthy and both bricked now after I tried them on the hub. Both time I used eject function before removing them from the hub

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use the drive manufacturer's health utility, if one exists, to see if you can resurrect them. In W10 disk management, can you delete the partitions so they're bare and then use them?

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

I can see them in disk management in  Windows 10 but I cant use them and cant format. I cant see them in file explorer either

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How about selecting it and removing partitions?

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

when you say removing partitions what do you mean by that?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any drive must be partitioned before formatting. You can break it into multiple partitions or just one. If you select the drive you should be able to right-click and choose to remove the partition (there may be more than one so remove them all). If you can, remove and then recreate a new partition for the whole drive. Then format it again.

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

Can you share exact steps on how you would this as I am not quite sure I understand. As of now only way I can see the drives are by pluging it into USB port and opening disk management from within Windows 10 OS. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, this is done in W10 in Disk Management. If the drive isn't dead you should be able to do all this when using the computer.

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

this is what I see now...disk managament.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the image until approved but you can use the paperclip icon below the text box to attach it so we can see it immediately.

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

see attached

disk managament.png
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use Delete Volume to get rid of the partition.

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

Should I go thru the wizard to create new volume?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That should be fine but you may need to format the drive in your base to get it to work with Arlo since W10 really doesn't want to allow the use of FAT32 - it'll likely give you a choice of exFAT or others but not FAT32. You just want to use a basic drive, nothing fancy.

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

ok I will try that and let you. What file system should I use?

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

that didnt work for me but after multiple try of using diskpart command line tool i was able to clean it and than format it using disk management.  Once I put this USB back into my hub should I format it using Arlo tool?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stribor45 wrote:

Once I put this USB back into my hub should I format it using Arlo tool?

Yes.

stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

So I  put the drive back into the hub...

1. Formatted it
  2. Arlo didnt report any errors beside "ready"
  3. I can in hub local settings that some storage has been taken by the videos
  4. I ejected USB using arlo app before I  unplugged it from the unit
  5. Instered it into port on my Windows 10 machine
  6. Drive is not seen at all by the file explored
  7. It is seen by the disk managements (see image)

image 1.PNG
stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

sorry attached wrong image. this is the image...

Capture.PNG
Dannybear
Master
Master
Have you tried inserting the drive into a different USB port of the pc?

There are lots of reasons for what you’re getting. E.g.

If the drive letter of your USB drive is the same as one of the drive letters of your computer's hard disk partition, you won't be able to see it in Windows File Explorer. In this case, you need to assign a new drive letter to your USB drive.
stribor45
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I did try different ports and l drive letter is not c which is the letter assigned to my hard drive

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation