Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Dataman100
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking for some ideas on how to power my Arlo Pro 2.  The camera is about 6 inches away from a wall plate that has an unused Cat 6 cable in it that goes back to a patch panel about 30 feet away.  I've read it uses QC voltages (9v if I'm not mistaken).  Has anyone tried using a USB to Cat6 converter and powering it that way?  Those converters send power as well as data.  I'd use the provided Arlo power adpater, convert it from USB to Cat6 at the panel, then covert it back to USB at the camera.  Not sure if the standard Cat 6 cable can take that much voltage but I know PoE uses pretty high voltages/watts to power AP's and such so it should be fine.  There's no way to power it with solar and there's no 120v power nearby.  I'm really surprised these can't be powered with PoE.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
NickR2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just ran Cat 6 with USB converters to all of my cameras. I’m also replacing my cameras in a few months when I get a new NVR. It works flawlessly
Dataman100
Aspirant
Aspirant

@NickR2 wrote:
I just ran Cat 6 with USB converters to all of my cameras. I’m also replacing my cameras in a few months when I get a new NVR. It works flawlessly

Awesome!  Would you mind posting the make/model of USB to Cat6 device you used?  There are several on Amazon.

Thanks,

Dave

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm looking for some ideas on how to power my Arlo Pro 2.  The camera is about 6 inches away from a wall plate that has an unused Cat 6 cable in it that goes back to a patch panel about 30 feet away.  I've read it uses QC voltages (9v if I'm not mistaken).

FYI, Pro uses 5v / 1.8a to run and 9v / 1.1a to charge the 7.2v pack ( charges to 8v + )....

also be advise of V drop over distance with DC on small gauge wire

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation