Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2; Planning For Power Outages

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
_TheSwede86_
Follower
Follower

Hi,

My parents (where the cameras are installed) had a power outage which was reoccuring every 15min for 6h's and then a couple of longer ones which were 3-4h each.

I had to reset their basestation after the power outages even though all LEDs were lit and internet was working.
Now I was thinking of creating a more fault-tolerant solution in the future and I was thinking of the following:

Currently I have a UPS connected to the router and the switch.

* Buy another UPS or move the Base Station where the existing UPS is, this will however degrade the connection from the station to the cameras since the current UPS / router / switch is inside a shelf inside a room under the stairs.
* Connect a 4G-modem to my router and setup as failover when the primary uplink dies

* Connect an external harddrive to the basestation to cover for outages for both the primary and secondary uplink (i.e. "Internet")

The cameras should be fine as long as the battery holds, all cameras are currently on AC-power so they do not drain the battery when there is power.

Anything else?
I'm guessing I could connect a UPS to every camera but thats not feasible or at least not something I would do as of right now.

Question:
Does the Base Station support / can power 2.5" HDDs that draw power from the USB-port or does it need a 3,5" HDD that draws power seperatly?

Thanks for your ideas!

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would use a UPS for the base - a small one would do fine if the base is the only thing connected. If not too far away, a long extension cord to the existing UPS may be possible.

A thumb drive is much easier and smaller than a hard drive to capture videos when the Internet is down. And a lot cheaper. A 16GB one would likely hold at least a couple of month's worth of videos for most folks.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation