Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Issues With Hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
paulinde
Tutor
Tutor

I have two systems, one using a hotspot (located at a seasonal residence) which is giving a couple of issues.  The internet light randomly goes to orange for a minute or so then back to green. There are two cameras on the hub which give about a month of battery life, between them there are about 6, 10 second recordings a week while armed. As both cameras are having very poor battery life I am assuming it has to do with the random offline issue.  I am using an aircard 815s, and a netgear ac750 extender. Signal on both devices shows strong.

My other system is not on a hotspot and is very solid giving a good 3 month or more battery life.

Anyone have any issues utilizing a hotspot?

Paul
4 REPLIES 4
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It seems the hotspot is dropping for some reason when communicating with the base station (Internet LED Orange ). Do you have the active speeds of the hotspot when the device is connected? 

paulinde
Tutor
Tutor
Would the dropping explain the short battery life? The AC750 extender is running in extend dual band mode which should give up to 1200Mbps.
Paul
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dropping of the Internet connection should have no bearing on battery life. Dropping the connectio between the cameras and base will certainly affect battery life since the camera will keep trying to reconnect. Is it possible that the base is somehow turning off (bad base, power supply or wall socket) for extended periods of time rather than loss of Internet?

paulinde
Tutor
Tutor

Interesting, I have had very short battery life (under 30 days, my home location is going almost 4 months with no issues) with hub on and not on a UPS. I have not seen any indication of hub shutting down.  All cameras are withing 15 feed of hub and show strong signals.  I was suspecting the internet connection as causing the issue. I had purchased the 4 pro setup late summer and have it at a location I usually do not visit over the winter months. I'll try to get to the location this month and bring everything back with me and try it where I have my other units running and will see what the results are.

Paul
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation