Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Re: Arlo Pro 2 Pixel motion detection not working

Reply
Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 2531 Views
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Alina_Martin Follower
Follower

Can anybody give me information on how I contact support? I've tried all the trouble shooting recommended on the threads and still can't get my wireless Arlo to connect online, can someone please call me
Or give me a number to call 

Guru TomMac Guru
Guru

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jonjonajamieson Apprentice
Apprentice
Pixel motion?!? I seriously don’t think this is even on Pro 2 cameras. Even if you do have your cameras plugged in. I genuinely think it’s a myth.
Master st_shaw Master
Master

 


@Jonjonajamieson wrote:
Pixel motion?!? I seriously don’t think this is even on Pro 2 cameras. Even if you do have your cameras plugged in. I genuinely think it’s a myth.

When plugged in and a zone is set, a Pro2 will only detect motion when pixels change in the zone AND motion is detected on the IR sensor at the same time.

 

 

It's pretty simpe to test.  Why do you think the Pro2 doesn't do pixel detection?

 

 

Jonjonajamieson Apprentice
Apprentice
So the IR sensor has got to detect too?

I have it pointing out a window. I know the IR sensor doesn’t work through a window. This maybe why it doesn’t work. But why would I even want IR if pixel works.
Master st_shaw Master
Master

 


@Jonjonajamieson wrote:
So the IR sensor has got to detect too?

I have it pointing out a window. I know the IR sensor doesn’t work through a window. This maybe why it doesn’t work. But why would I even want IR if pixel works.

That explains it then.  Yes, the IR sensor has to detect too.  So, pixel detection will not work through glass.

 

The reason you want both pixel and IR is because pixel detection alone is very prone to false alarms.  Any change in the scene will trigger the camera.

 

The upcoming Arlo Smart feature is supposed to add more intelligence to the pixel motion detection, but I don't know if it will remove the IR detection requirement.

morke Aspirant
Aspirant

I;m having the same proble,.  I can set activity zones, but the camera doesn't detect motion based on pixel change, and these is no sensitivoty adjustment for this.  It does detect based on IR, but if there is no pixel change detection that is not as advertised.  And what ids the point of motin detection zones -- they have no bearing on the IR detection field, so they are useless.  If theis feature has been turned off permanently it needs to come back, and with a pixel change sensitivity adjustment, which is a trivial software solution.

 

C'moon Netgear -- get your acttogether and think this thrue.  I've already sunk money into an Arlo Pro and Bae station.  got the Arlo Pro for the outdoor capability AND pixelmotin detection.  Now i find it's disabled.  I call BS.

 

Master st_shaw Master
Master

 


@morke wrote:

I;m having the same proble,.  I can set activity zones, but the camera doesn't detect motion based on pixel change, and these is no sensitivoty adjustment for this.  It does detect based on IR, but if there is no pixel change detection that is not as advertised.  And what ids the point of motin detection zones -- they have no bearing on the IR detection field, so they are useless.  If theis feature has been turned off permanently it needs to come back, and with a pixel change sensitivity adjustment, which is a trivial software solution.

 

C'moon Netgear -- get your acttogether and think this thrue.  I've already sunk money into an Arlo Pro and Bae station.  got the Arlo Pro for the outdoor capability AND pixelmotin detection.  Now i find it's disabled.  I call BS.

 


As I wrote above, when plugged in and a zone is set, a Pro2 will only detect motion when pixels change in the zone AND motion is detected on the IR sensor at the same time.  Is this clear?  It means the camera will not detect on pixel change alone.  Something must also trigger the IR at the same time. This is a good thing in most situations, because it drastically reduces false alarms.  It also means that zone-detection will not work through glass though.

 

It's not clear from your post what problem you're having.  Can you describe the problem you have so we can see if we can help you?

 

 

morke Aspirant
Aspirant

The ARLO Pro 2 DOES NOT have video motion (pixel chsnge) motion detection that is independent from IR detection.  The IR detection must be triggered in order for the pis=xel change detedtion to work.  The activity zones then further limit triggering to pixel change only with in those zones.  

 

THIS IS VERY DECEPTIVE ADVERISING>  IT is never spelled out in ARLO literature that this is the case.  3-second look-back works whrn the ARLO PRO 2 is plugged in , BUT pixel-vel triggering does not work without first thr IR sensor detecting.  I've seen reputable third party reviewers getthis wrong -- that's hoe obscur and confusing it is.  I think the Arlo and/or Arlo Q have TRUE pixel change detection.  I'm sendoing the Arlo Pro 2 back and I'm very diasappointed.

Model: VMC4030P| Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Cameraarlo.netgear.com | Web Site/App
Master st_shaw Master
Master

 

Good.  It looks like you understand how the Pro2 pixel detection works.

 

The reason reviewers get it wrong is because these details are not widely published.  That was apparetntly intentional by NETGEAR, at least for a while.  Consider that the interior workings of Arlo are also subject to change with different firmware releases.

 

I don't consider that "deceptive advertising".  Arlo is not trying to deceive you. The Pro2 does include a type of pixel detection.  It's just not the type you think you need.

 

Like I said, combining IR with pixel detection is a superior approach to pixel-only detection for most applications. Pixel-only detection will respond to insects, shadows, rain, spiderwebs, etc.  Anything that changes the image can trigger an alert. If you are using the camera outside, you can have many false alarms.

 

Maybe that's not the case for your application, but you haven't said what your application is and why it's critical you have the pixel detection without IR.

 

Grego30 Tutor
Tutor

I'm afraid all of the above are wrong.  There is no PIR (Passive Infrared Sensor) built into the cameras.  PIR's are what your tradational alarm systems use to detect motion in a house/area, etc.  The camera does not have a PIR.  When it senses motion in the FOV at night it then triggers the IR illuminators 840nm (hence the glow, 940nm is invisible) to turn on.  PIR technology is the same that turns on your remote flood lights or the new RING flood light cameras.  No Arlo's utilize this.  They do utilize standard (Video Motion Detection) algorithms.  Albeit not that great.  I've been testing cloud motion zones last 2 nights and they suck.  You should be able to configure each motion zone sensitivity individually as further distance motion zones will need higher sensitivity as they have less pixels on target.

Master st_shaw Master
Master

 

@Grego30 The idea that Arlo Pro 2 has no passive IR detector and uses only video motion detection is incorrect.  Please try one of the following quick and easy tests to prove this to yourself.

 

1) Place a piece of opaque tape over the PIR sensor area (the black face of the camera below the lens.) The video image is unaffected, yet motion detection will no longer be possible. This is because the tape blocks the PIR sensor.

 

2) Try to detect motion through a pane of glass. e.g. aim Arlo through a window.  The glass does not affect the video image, yet motion detection will no longer be possible. This is because the glass blocks IR from the moving object on the other side of the glass.

 

 

Grego30 Tutor
Tutor

I'll try it when I pull one down to charge.  Didnt see it listed in the spec's anywhere.  But if what you say above is true, then you are probably correct there is one.  Do they list the distance on the PIR anywhere?

Master st_shaw Master
Master

 


@Grego30 wrote:

Do they list the distance on the PIR anywhere?

Arlo says 5 to 20 feet.

 

https://kb.arlo.com/1015583/How-do-I-optimize-motion-detection-for-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-Arlo-Pro-Wire-F...

morke Aspirant
Aspirant

Aspirant is wrong.  There is no FOV pixel-change based detection pon the Pro or Pro2.  It uses PIR to detect THEN analysesactivity boxes to see if anything's moving.  If so, it triggers.

 

This sucks if yu are trying to detect small motions at adistance (like rats in an alley!).  And Netgear does NOT explain this well in their marketing.  In fact, many third party reviewers got this wrong.  My Pro-2 is going back.

And as far a nuicance trips, it's a trivial software task to set a sensitivity on the FOV contained by sctivity boxes.  You could ignore bugs but not rats.  I hope they fix this.  The Arlo and Alor Q seem to have true FOV detection but they are pt IP65 (water resistant) rated?

 

Product line still needs worke.

Model: VMC4030P| Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Cameraarlo.netgear.com | Web Site/App
morke Aspirant
Aspirant

And please ignore my typos.  I really can read and write -- just rely on spell-check too much!


@morke wrote:

Aspirant is wrong.  There is no FOV pixel-change based detection pon the Pro or Pro2.  It uses PIR to detect THEN analysesactivity boxes to see if anything's moving.  If so, it triggers.

 

This sucks if yu are trying to detect small motions at adistance (like rats in an alley!).  And Netgear does NOT explain this well in their marketing.  In fact, many third party reviewers got this wrong.  My Pro-2 is going back.

And as far a nuicance trips, it's a trivial software task to set a sensitivity on the FOV contained by sctivity boxes.  You could ignore bugs but not rats.  I hope they fix this.  The Arlo and Alor Q seem to have true FOV detection but they are pt IP65 (water resistant) rated?

 

Product line still needs worke.


 

Model: VMC4030| Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera,VMC4030P| Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Cameraarlo.netgear.com | Web Site/App
Master st_shaw Master
Master

 

@morke Try using the Edit post feature. It's only available for a short time after posting though.

Jonjonajamieson Apprentice
Apprentice
Someone please explain this.

Arlo Pro 2 requires motion detection as well as pixel change for activation.

Yet for some reason my pro2 fails to detect humans practically infront if it. (5m) yet every car that drives by in the horizon somehow it activates every time. Both cars and people go across. Sometimes I have to stand right infront if it an wave my hands about.

Master st_shaw Master
Master

@Jonjonajamieson wrote:
Someone please explain this.

Arlo Pro 2 requires motion detection as well as pixel change for activation.

Yet for some reason my pro2 fails to detect humans practically infront if it. (5m) yet every car that drives by in the horizon somehow it activates every time. Both cars and people go across. Sometimes I have to stand right infront if it an wave my hands about.


Note that on the Pro2, pixel change plus IR detection only applies when using a zone and the camera is plugged into AC power. When not plugged-in the camera uses IR only.  (The new Smart features may behave differently.)

 

Also, consider that IR motion detection is most sensitive to side-to-side motion. If people are not moving side-to-side they are less likley to be detected.  Also consider that cars reflect and emit more IR than a person, and they are a bigger target, so they can be detected at longer ranges.

 

 

 

It's probably best to aim the camera so it avoids the street and moving cars.  However, I have mine aimed where the street is visible in a small portion of the frame, and cars do not set it off very often.  Sensitivity is at 70. People and small animals (cats, foxes, squirrels) are still detected at that setting.

 

Jonjonajamieson Apprentice
Apprentice
Both humans and cars go side to side.
It’s on battery mode - but if your saying it only uses IR, then how the hell does it reach the road !??!? The road is like 30-50meters away. !!??
Master st_shaw Master
Master

 

That's not too surprising.  I have game cameras with IR sensors that can detect a deer at 30m.  I expect those cameras would detect cars farther away.  Arlo says the Pro2 camera will detect out to 23 feet.  That figure is probably for detecting people.  Cars are hotter than body temp so they provide a greater temperature contrast against the background than either people or animals do.

Jonjonajamieson Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes but 30m is about 98 feet!!!

What’s the max range on these devices.
Highlighted
Allsport2233 Guide
Guide
Try running this test and someone explain this.

If the Arlo Pro 2 is truly IR based and not by pixel detection why when you place the camera behind glass does the orange light flash detecting motion during a "motion detection test." The camera IR would be reflected off the glass, so it would have to be pixel based detection. I think this feature exists within the camera but Arlo has it disabled.
Master st_shaw Master
Master

@Allsport2233 wrote:
Try running this test and someone explain this.

If the Arlo Pro 2 is truly IR based and not by pixel detection why when you place the camera behind glass does the orange light flash detecting motion during a "motion detection test." The camera IR would be reflected off the glass, so it would have to be pixel based detection. I think this feature exists within the camera but Arlo has it disabled.

After reading this thread it should be clear that the Pro 2 does include pixel detection within the camera.  It's only used to trigger alerts when the camera is plugged into AC power.  Based on your observation it appears pixel detection is also activce during the motion detection test.

 

Guru jguerdat Guru
Guru

It's my understanding that the PIR is used to detect motion and then pixel-based for zones, etc. I have to say I'm not sure why this is used other than that pixel-based would probably require AC power.