Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Ds80
Follower
Follower

Upgaraded from the standard pro ( no issues ) cameras to the pro2 and Every time I view any of the cameras in live there is a 30 second lag, and two way talk has a bigger lag. All have good wifi signal and record well.
Looking for a fix to be able to view with the usual delay of 3-4 sec not 30+

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the firmware up to date? Even if so, try removing the cameras from Settings, My Devices and resync. Also, power cycle the base.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The Pro 2 cameras have recently had a firmware upgrade to increase their video bitrate and thus video quality. With the increase in bitrate comes a much higher data rate. If your internet speeds aren't super fast, the data is going to take a lot longer to upload to the Arlo servers and then a lot longer to download again to your app. What are you upload, download and ping numbers from www.speedtest.net ?

XViper
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem. Just unboxed and updated firmware. 78 ms ping, 80 Mbps down, 4.5 Mbps up. Should not be a problem. I may just return the laggy cameras.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

XViper,

Are you using the mobile app or the web client? Do you experience the same behavior on both?

JamesC

Johnny51714
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought an Arlo pro 2 and see about a 5-second lag when I'm connected to wifi at home, but when I use the web app from work, it's about a 30-second lag.

The firmware updated during setup so that shouldn't be the issue.  my internet is 12mbs download and 0.5 uploads. 

Whats the recommended bandwidth for minimal lag?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Upload speed is 1Mbps minimum depending on how many cameras are streaming at once. Faster is better.

Johnny51714
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info! I'm updating my internet tomorrow with 200 Mbps download with 20 Mbps uploads.  hopefully, that solves the problem.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ping speed is also important. No use having a high transfer speed if your ping speed is stupidly high

Atan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought mine yesterday. If ive seen this thread before buying i will never buy this. The delay/lag is terrible i have 1gb internet.

Excited to use it, set it up in my kids bedroom. Kid went in and out the bathroom already but still lying on bed in my viewer. Crazy. Hope netgear release a patch soon. Thinking of selling it already while its less than 24hrs. No choice but to sell it lower price but its ok than feeling disappointed everyday.

Note. Syncing took me an hour. It was resolved only when insaw some post here that i need to power cyxle my router. Another crazy solution
valeryvdr
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have same issue with my two pro 2 cameras. Lag about 10 sec when cameras are away from the base station ~10 ft. If I put a camera next to base station lag is down to ~1-2 sec. Therefore lag has nothing to do with the internet connection. I have 300mbps up and down with minimal ping.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That indicates a signal strength or quality issue. I would test the cameras at different locations/distances to see where things go downhill. What kind of distances are you trying to use? What is between the base and camera in a straight line (walls, ductwork, mirrors, metallic objects, house construction, etc.)? What other 2.4GHz wireless devices might be interfering with the base-camera signal?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation