Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

Hi friends,

I got kind of screwed and bought OG Arlos right before Arlo pros came out. I live in a dense urban area, on a corner, where I have a lot of outdoor side walk to monitor. I am lucky if I get 10 days out of the OG Arlos.I picked up an Arlo Pro and liked the additional features but my world was blown when I bought the USB power cable. It was so nice not having to change that camera's batteries!

My major issue is that the USB power cables are super short. So if I want to get four Alrlo Pro 2s I need to drill four holes from inside of my house, near an outlet, to where the cameras are. This is a major pain in the butt. I guess the solar panels are the other option but I would greatly prefer something that is plugged in. 

Thoughts on creative options that don't look like total crap?

24 REPLIES 24
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thoughts on creative options that don't look like total crap?

Best bet I see is the 20ft usb cord sold on Amazon for Arlo... you would have to silicon seal the port up but it could be a bit longer than the normal outdoor ac lenght

https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Outdoor-Security-Extension-Dropcam/dp/B06XR8R41M/ref=sr_1_92?s=elect...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Inside the house conventional extension cords could be used.  Outside I would assume you want only one cord with the only connection being to the camera.  As stated above a long USB cable would be your only solution.  But be careful with long USB cables.  The resistance in wire increases with length.  To combat that quality made longer cables will use larger diameter wires (smaller gauge) in the cable.  When the resistance gets too high it will limit the amperage through the cable.  Too much resistance = too little amperage and the camera will not function.  Unfortunalty none of the long cables that I found on amazon list the gauge of the wires which is somewhat discerning as thats when it really matters.  I found plenty of short cables that listed the gauge AWG of the wire.  Some at 22 AWG and some larger ones at 20 AWG.

With multiple cameras to power and if you can get them all through one hole this charge might lower the clutter and power all of the cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Charging-Station-Samsung/dp/B00UN1LM7Q

Ninjaneered
Aspirant
Aspirant

After some searching, I found the following.  I have 3 and can confirm they work.  Also, they seal the charge port decently well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that the charger has to be weatherproof or in a weatherproof location.

And there's always the chance that warranty claims could be denied due to unapproved equipment.  There may be no issue - you have to decide what's most important to you.

Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

So oddly enough, the Arlo outdoor cable from Netgear doesn't appear to work with the cameras but third party cables seem to be fine. That's kind of head scratching...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

So what is the plan to recall or refund items sold, I have two arlo cables sigh of relief not fitted but beyond returns period.

I purchased the cameras to use zones and cvr outdoor without wired power that is no longer possible so you are mis selling the cameras and power cables.

Why continue to sell items not fit for purpose or their advertised functions.

Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor
This is pretty incredible. Hopefully someone will take my brand new Arlo Pro 2s off of me. It's rediculous that something that is a fire hazard is being taken so lightly....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you opened a case with support? Hardware issues always have to be resolved this way.

Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

This isn't exclusively a hardware issue. It's a process issue. It's absurd that Arlo didn't make any attempt to contact people who purchased this cord from the major sellers. It speaks to a lack of overall post sale concern for their clients. For a managed solution like Arlo, that's incredibly concerning. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be fair, Netgear no doubt has little personal information as to who has bought these adapters. I don't think you can register an accessory so it's through the retailer that any contact must be made.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's called a recall which the OEM.
Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

Obsydian wrote:
It's called a recall which the OEM.

Exactly. The vast majority of these were probably sold via Arlo, Amazon or Best Buy. Doing a recall of the adapter through those channels should be trivial. Or how about a friendly email to currently subscribed Arlo customers about the recall? Maybe I should do Netgear a favor and let The Verge, Android Police, etc know that you need help with your non recall, recall. 

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Steady on maybe Arlo have a new recall technique or more likely a hide the truth.

Already emailed the Verge and others.
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Opened and Arlo closed as advised yes issue but use only indoors.

Asked why no recall, got no reply.
jaws22
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ordered 2 power cables from Amazon in early October to be used for an upcoming purchase of some Arlo Pro2 cameras. On October 22nd I received an email from Amazon informing me of the problems with the power cables. I sent a email reply to Amazon, and within a couple of days my account was credited in full for the entire purchase price of both cables.

Now if Arlo would correct the problems with the Arlo Pro2 picture quality & night vision , I would purchase some.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
But that's all done by Amazon Not Arlo/Netgear.

They have to be stupid essentially admitting a fault in the Amazon recall but anyone else it's ONLY if you go asking they tell you don't use outdoors.

Once through their negligence someone or their property is damaged roll on the law suit.
jaws22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since I purchased the power cables from Amazon, but never "registered" them with Arlo/Netgear, Netgear had no idea who purchased the potentially defective cables. Netgear alerted me through Amazon to a potential problem. This is the only way I would have found out unless I came to the Arlo web site. I don't know what Netgear did to people who purchased from other retailers.

Jpeters77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a power cord that is safe to use outside now?

Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

I don't believe so, if you need a powered, outdoor solution, then right now Arlo can't meet that need. It's on reason I have decided to in a different direction 😞

CleverGuyRobbed
Initiate
Initiate

I was able to power my arlo pro outdoors at 75 feet. The solution is power over ethernet (POE). You have to take the battery out, but they don't work well in the cold anyway. You can power hundreds feet over an ethernet cable. To do this you need a product that ramps the voltage to 24 volts at the power outlet, then drops it back down to 5 volts at the camera and has a micro USB connection. You need these two products

1- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1F920O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WS-POE-microUSB-Kit Dropcam, Android, Tablet Remote Power Source USB PoE over Ethernet Cable, up to 328 Feet

This one fits the arlo pro nicely.

2- An outdoor ethernet cable like this. You can bury this one in the ground if you like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ1SKD6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dom7
Aspirant
Aspirant
Are these waterproof? I like the idea of POE, but these adapters will be exposed outside for me. Can you take a picture of the configuration outside? Thanks
CleverGuyRobbed
Initiate
Initiate

I my case the 110 outlet is in my basment. I have a vinly fence with 4x4 inch posts. The camera sits inside the post and protects the connection at the camera. The micro usb plug does fits perfectly snug. Without weather protection, you would definitely have to goop, silicone or shrink wrap the outside connection. The low voltage brings saftey but also zero tolerance for corrosion.  

arlo.png

johnsoneco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Saw your posting with regards to Extended Outdoor Power Cable.  Which cables did you use and where did you get them?

Jerry Johnson

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation