Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I Restart My Base Station Remotely?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
EvrenErtay
Guide
Guide

I need to find a way to restart my base station  remotely, via the mobile app.

My Arlo pro 2  system is hundreds of miles away and sometimes stop working and need a simple restart of the the system

Looks like currently there is no way I can restart my base station remotely

8 REPLIES 8
EvrenErtay
Guide
Guide

My current solution to that problem is I installed an Omron timer/controller  that cuts the power for 2 minutes  every 12 hours

Arlo should have that basic  feature

@EvrenErtaywrote:

I need to find a way to restart my base station  remotely, via the mobile app.

My Arlo pro 2  system is hundreds of miles away and sometimes stop working and need a simple restart of the the system

Looks like currently there is no way I can restart my base station remotely

Ace_Rockola
Initiate
Initiate

Great idea !  If I want to be gone for weeks at a time, this would alleviate me having to get my neighbor to go and reset it for me.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This can be done through the mobile app. Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to settings > my devices > select your base station > restart

JamesC

jbs1
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I view my devices all I see is the ability to remove the base station, where do I find restart?

I'm away from home and my base station went off line. All my other internet based devices are working fine (thermostat & Wemo's) so it's not a sitiation where that's an issue.  Thanks in advance! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the base is offline, the Restart button won't be shown since that requires the base to be online. Try both the app and a browser to see if there's a difference. If not, your only choice is to power cycle the base and that means physical access.

For future travels, consider something like a WeMo WiFi switch that the base plugs into so you can use that to remotely power cycle the base.

jbs1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you jguerdat for your response.  Oddly enough I had recently purchased a pair of wemo minis that I was going to use on the base when I left for this trip. The reason was due to one camera that would stop functioning once in awhile and the only way to correct this was to power down the base for 30 secs or so. But for the last few months I didn't have one issue, so I'm using them on lights. I never had this base issue before. Two last questions, with the base  not functioning - is the system recording anything? And will a base station ever power back on without that power recycling? I'm hundreds of mile away with no fix in site!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the base is truly offline, nothing will be recorded. If it's just not connected to the Internet for any reason, a USB drive attached to the base should still record but then you'd need to remove the drive and view recordings on a computer. Since you're a long way from the system, that's not of much use unless someone else has access.

As for the base powering back on, that's usually not the problem - it powers on just fine. The issue seems to be connecting to the router where the base tries to connect before the router is ready (timing issue). A UPS for your modem, router and base is recommended to keep the Internet up during power outages which allows the system to fly through short glitches to hours-long outages which seems to cause most of these problems.

jbs1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks again for your advice. I do have the router/modem combo on a UPS, but not the Arlo base. I wish I would have used the Wemo Mini on the base as I had planned! Lesson learned on this vacation, the hard way. Nothing like a security system that is down when you need it the most.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation