Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Android app password rules

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ScottFirst
Follower
Follower

Why does the Android app now require different password rules?  I changed my password to get help from Support, and now the app is preventing me from changing it back.  It says "The new password and old one should be different".  Well, of course, I have.  I'm just trying to get back to normal operation.  

I'm interpreting this error message as saying that I can't reuse an old password, but that is not exactly what it says. IF this interpretation is correct, it is a stupid change.  

Another interpretation is that I entered the same value for both old and new password on the menu -- which is definitely not true.  If this interpretation is correct, then there is a bug in the software.

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

There are many sites, especially banking, that take security seriously and with that, they don't allow you to reuse old passwords or at least reuse a password you've used previously within the last year. My banking forces me to change password monthly and old passwords can't be reused. It is what it is. Are you not able to use a different password?

GBSea
Guide
Guide

It's not about whether or not one is "able" to do it.  It's about individual choice to do it or not.

Change password frequency and/or reuse should not be up to the company/manufacturer/bank or so. We do not need baby-sitters. Paternizing is highly offensive.

I'd rather go after those institutions that do not allow use of special characters in passwords which is one of several criteria for "strong password". THAT is an issue.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation