Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear,

I'm running 12 Arlo Pro 2 cameras and have some input that I'll send to your support directly as well but want to share here in case you're reading... The Arlo Pro was a great system and I was hoping the Arlo Pro 2 would be even better, but I'm noticing some shortcomings...

Please remove the not plugged in warning for every camera in the Arlo app. Comes up every time I launch the app and I have to click "Ok, I got it" on every camera, just annoying when you want to see the thumbnail preview. Put the info message elsewhere like when a user tries to enable the CVR or video zones.

Nightvision - On battery, the nightvision on the Arlo Pro 2 vs. the Arlo Pro is not good... Haven't tried on power, but don't plan to use power. I'm really disappointed in the quality of the nightvision overall. There are a lot of dark black areas and the picture just isn't lit up as crisp with the Pro 2 vs. the Pro. Also, when motion is detected, some cameras record pitch black for a second or so and then as the IRs illuminate the picture the nightvision starts to show up. Never had this with the Pro version, worked like a champ. I hope this can be resolved in a firmware release so that I don't have to buy all new cameras...

Thanks

95 REPLIES 95
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue, are you using an Arlo skin on the camera when you are testing Night Vision? If so, does the skin have a visor or no visor and is it a third party or Arlo branded skin?

JamesC

sillyboi215
Guide
Guide
No, there are no skin on it. The bad quality is from the camera itself.
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

For those experiencing this issue, are you using an Arlo skin on the camera when you are testing Night Vision? If so, does the skin have a visor or no visor and is it a third party or Arlo branded skin?

JamesC

James,

No skins on all 12 of my Pro 2s that are seeing the degraded night vision quality over the Pro.

Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

No skins for me either

The quality is not only grainy, but dark, little contrast.  All it takes is a bit of light and the quality does go up

Rick

Sugarboss
Guide
Guide
Yep, this is how my pro 2 looks as well, all hazy. Just awful.
Sugarboss
Guide
Guide
Yes, same problems.
Sugarboss
Guide
Guide
No skins used, same problem. Very hazy picture.
Marquise23
Star
Star

I use the Arlo branded skins and I had really bad washout/IR issues on my Arlo Pro 2. I knew the skins were causing the problems because I can actually see the skin producing a "fisheye" effect on the top corners of the cam (looks like a new Arlo branded skin needs to be made for the Pro 2), so I just pulled the skin back a little more so the hood can clear the IRs. Seems to work better, but the image is still washed out and is still not as good as the Arlo Pro.   

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated the feedback on this topic to the product management team. The engineering team is currently investigating the concerns being discussed here and I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Cflocation
Star
Star

I am also having night problems to the point that the cameras are usless.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

I've escalated the feedback on this topic to the product management team. The engineering team is currently investigating the concerns being discussed here and I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Thanks James, looking forward to a prompt resolution. Let me know how I can help...

Sugarboss
Guide
Guide
The Pro 2's are worse than the original arlos (non pro) we have.

Horrendous
Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
So this is 1080p? Haha yeah right. Can't make out anything about this person
Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
Ooh wait let me zoom in because that makes it better 👎
Sugarboss
Guide
Guide
Right after I posted this comment the camera quit working and now won't sync at all. Done.

Coincidence...I think not.
Lawenforcer
Guide
Guide

Snip20171024_3.pngSame issues.... Rediculous.. These are far worse than the Arlo Pro nightvision

sillyboi215
Guide
Guide
I mean can’t the engineer team just have the Arlo Pro and the Arlo Pro 2 in front of them and do a side by side comparison? It is that simple to see the difference in quality and why the night vision mode is that off..
Lawenforcer
Guide
Guide
They know there is an issue that’s why there’s so much silence from their end on their Facebook page, this forums etc. we need to share this info on every review site, social media site and every forum until they take this serious. These type of issues lead to class action suites. We pay more for what’s suppose to be superior products and we get no awknowlegement or plan of action to fix the problem. I purchased arlo original, then Arlo Pro and now Arlo Pro 2 and this is the most disappointing experience I’ve had so far. They either need to fix this issue immediately or publicly release that they cannot fix it so buyers can be aware.
armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Doubt they will publically say they cannot fix as it will hurt their brand and sales. I bet they will fix their in process production cameras as soon as they can, and then not look back at the bad ones. Hope I am wrong, but that is just my guess.

There have been deleted posts showing camera USB ports and batteries lightly burned, enough to stop the camera from working. Not a whole lot, but a few. Also some outdoor adaptors have lightly melted at the usb connection point while plugged in. Could it be from moisture getting into the connection, who knows. Not sure if I can believe what Arlo says is the problem. Arlo mentioned a replacement is coming within the next few “weeks”... and that has me confused....

I’m the meantime, they probably have their production at full speed.
Lawenforcer
Guide
Guide

im really hoping this is software based and can be fixed with a firmware update. IF they have actually found a hardward flaw, then they need to allow replacements directly from them for the defective units. The daytime video is really good, noticable to me over the original pros, so i hope they can fix this night time issue. 

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lawenforcer wrote:

im really hoping this is software based and can be fixed with a firmware update. IF they have actually found a hardward flaw, then they need to allow replacements directly from them for the defective units. The daytime video is really good, noticable to me over the original pros, so i hope they can fix this night time issue. 

I'm really hoping the same...Especially that Netgear makes it right with current Pro 2 customers if there is a hardware flaw.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just posting an update on what I know from Netgear...

JamesC has been working with me on trying some troubleshooting items. He's been great so far. The last communication was this morning. Netgear Engineering wanted pictures of how my cams were mounted. I sent those pictures and JamesC replied saying the issues being reported are being investigated as a top priority right now for the Engineering team.

I'm just sharing to let everyone know there is some progress in the background going on...

Hopefully a solution soon!

Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
I just returned my pro 2. I had a 15 day return period and I didn't want to be stuck with it if it's a hardware issue. Hoping they can resolve the issues and I will re purchase it
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also, I had a curiousity question for those with washed out nightvision... How many of you are seeing the "ring" around your picture? For those that are, is that just how it looked from day 1 or did you change settings to get that?

ChillyMost
Tutor
Tutor

I was able to resolve my night vision issue by removing the Arlo skin.