Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Has there been a resolution or a fix for the error message "This video is not able to play in this browser, please download to view"  issue?    I don't feel like reading through a zillion posts to see.

This has been happening occasionally when I try to view recorded videos.

Note: I'm using Chrome, and have changed nothing in the past 6+months, so why am I getting these occasional error messages?

Anyone else?

14 REPLIES 14
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@billkex wrote:

Has there been a resolution or a fix for the error message "This video is not able to play in this browser, please download to view"  issue?    I don't feel like reading through a zillion posts to see.

If you mean the Flash warning, then yes there has been a resolution. Flash is dead.

That is the problem that prompted most of the "can't view" complaints.

If it is the "2K" problem, the subject of a steady trickle of complaints, that is a browser thing. Either use a browser that doesn't gag, or, if it exists, track down the software you need to get Chrome to play nicely. It seems to be the only common browser that won't play ball.

Here's the party line:

Which devices are supported for HEVC 4K or 2K playback?

Not much that Arlo can do about it.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

No, that was a totally different issue. I am using Chrome now and I don't have that problem.

This is something that occasionally happens maybe 1 out of every 7 recorded videos, I will get this message.

It will play the first 2-3 seconds of the video, and then I'll get this message & have to download it to watch it.

What causes this?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@billkex wrote:

It will play the first 2-3 seconds of the video, and then I'll get this message & have to download it to watch it.

That is the second of the two  possibilities that I mentioned. Flash and HEVC.

@billkex wrote:

What causes this?

See above, and the link to the HEVC explanation.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

This is something that occasionally happens maybe 1 out of every 7 recorded videos, I will get this message.

There's something wrong in the video that is causing the playback to stop.

If you play it with VLC and look at the stats, you will likely see a drop or other error around the time it stops playing in the browser.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

There's something wrong in the video that is causing the playback to stop.

If you play it with VLC and look at the stats, you will likely see a drop or other error around the time it stops playing in the browser.

Why does this do this now?

It never did it before. And it's just occasionally on this one camera.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

Why does this do this now?

It never did it before. And it's just occasionally on this one camera.

Before the video was being played by the flash player.  That's no longer the case.

It looks like the two players are handling errored mp4s a bit differently.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I started having this issue about a month ago. "This video is not able to play in this browser". I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge on my Android phone and they all have the same error, and unable to play.
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just downloaded my 4th browser, Dolphin, and I get the exact same error. So I'm now doubting it's really a browser issue. This used to work flawlessly, now it never works no matter which browser I use. Is it an Android thing?
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok, so it's the 4K videos that won't play thru any browser on an Android browser but they play fine with an iPhone browser. So is there a fix for the Android browsers?
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I am pretty sure these errors and problems are caused by the software. (Arlo issues) 

I never had these problems before, it seems like whenever a new update is issued it has some type of side affect that causes other problems. 

Truth is, all this crap started just after Arlo & Netgear split. (around May 2019?)

The quality went downhill when Netgear left. It is NOT the same as it used to be.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just started the 4K cloud recordings a month ago with the new subscription, and that's when my problem started. So I'm now realizing that 4K can't play thru any of the Android browsers I've tried. iPhone is handling them fine though, they might not be 4K but at least they play and without the browser error.
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

4K?  I thought Arlo Pro2 was 1080?

....and it has NOT been anything close to 1080 in over a year.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm sorry, I added my question to the only existing topic. I'm using Arlo Ultra, with 4K.
bbaddorf
Aspirant
Aspirant

it's time that ARLO fixes this.  This is crazy.  Some videos play, some don't.  I'm using Chrome.  The videos from one camera ALWAYS play and those from another camera NEVER play.  This is crazy.  I changed one video setting (Wide to Standard) and the videos from one camera started playing.  This IS NOT a browser issue.  It's an ARLO software issue and they need to update their system to make the problem go away.

b.t.w., i've tested the system on 2 other browsers (Edge and IE) and the same problems happen with those browsers. 

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation