Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Sometime within the last 2 days, the fingerprint login within my Android Pixel app stopped working and always said "Your session has expired. Please log in." but only when using fingerprint login method.  If I entered username/password I was able to get in.  I tried rebooting the base station, force stopping the app on my phone, both did not work.  It took uninstalling the app entirely and re-installing it.  I know this is some sort of bug because my wife's phone is doing the exact same thing and started at the same time.  Has anyone else encountered this and if so, aware of any known issue?

166 REPLIES 166
lilypadfrog
Guide
Guide

I received an email in response to my open ticket regarding this problem. This is exactly what he sent to me.

" We are sorry that we are unable to reply to your response.  I apologize you once again.  Our Experts are working on this issue and it will be resolved within 28th of this month.  I assure you this issue will be resolved soon."

For my part, I have purchased 2 additional Ring camera spotlights to complete my outdoor perimeter.  I did not want two separate systems, but it is what it is.  I will see which works best then ultimately go with those.  The Rings are up and working well with no problem on their apps.  I will say that the Ring has less of a delay in capturing movement than the Arlo does.

Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
Followed the instructions but the unit still times out. Is anyone seeing a different response to the new upgrade?
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Followed what instructions specifically?  Sounds like you're experiencing a different issue...  Since updating to the latest version, the app will still log you out after it's running in the background for X amount of time (they still haven't answered us as to what duration that is), but it allows you to log back in quickly rather than sending you in loops and making you force close the app like it did before.

Nik765
Guide
Guide

I still have the same problem,so this update did not fix anything.

What I was doing before was simply closing the arlo app window by pressing the x in the right corner. I am not sure this is still effective, but we'll see.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you've updated to yesterday's update, simply use the back button and you get logged in. So, it's not fixed yet but it's "better".

Rdg2428
Guide
Guide

These instructions; 

Please be advised that an update for the Android Arlo mobile app is now available in Google Playstore that addresses this issue.

Kindly do these steps before you download/update the Arlo app in your phone:

A) Clear the Arlo App's Cache and Data folders.

1. Head to the 'Settings' menu. This can be done by tapping the cog icon in your Android notification shade.
2. Find 'Apps' (or Applications, depending on your device) in the menu, then locate and tap on the Arlo application.
3. Tap on 'Storage' and the buttons for clearing the cache and app data will become available. Clear them (cache and data) both.
4. Uninstall your Arlo application. Then, reboot your Android phone.
5. Once the phone has completely rebooted, connect it to the Internet and head on to Google Playstore to download the latest Arlo app version 2.4.10.
6. See if the issue has now been fixed.

Nik765
Guide
Guide

I tried the steps mentioned and it does not work. Message still shows up.

Looks like after 3 hours. Pressing the back button solves it.

If I do the close the app window trick, I don't get the message at all.

DaveG123
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like they pushed a new update for ARLO app and I think it fixed it for me.  At least the last 12 hours it keeps me logged in without time outs.  Hope whatever they done sticks.  It "only" took Netgear 12 days to fix it - Terrible!  Their customer service in India is horrendous to say the least.  Called them few times to no avail and the last time the rep, after hearing that my issue continues, simply hung up on me.   No way to treat customers like this! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent cloud update along with an update for the Android Arlo mobile app has been released that should resolve this issue. Please visit the app store and be sure you are up to date on the latest version of the Arlo Mobile App: Release Notes - Android App 2.4.10 - 26th March 2018

If you continue to experience this issue, please let us know.

JamesC

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Just curious what specifically was addressed - the fact that "session expired" keeps being presented too frequently, or the fact that it wouldn't let you escape the session expired banner from the mobile app?  How long can the app be expected to be running in the background before we're told to re-login?  Still don't have those answers yet...

Nik765
Guide
Guide

I'm using the latest app version and the issue still persists.

DocVegas
Initiate
Initiate

So far so good here.  However, I advise you do this.  Go into manage apps and delete the ARLO app.

Now turn off your phone and then turn it back on.  Once you have rebooted and confirmed the ARLO app is gone (no icon present), now go to the Play Store and re-install the app and see if that helps.

I didn't have any luck until I actually did a reboot after deleting the app.

Good Luck.

Nik765
Guide
Guide

@DocVegaswrote:

So far so good here.  However, I advise you do this.  Go into manage apps and delete the ARLO app.

Now turn off your phone and then turn it back on.  Once you have rebooted and confirmed the ARLO app is gone (no icon present), now go to the Play Store and re-install the app and see if that helps.

Good Luck.

I did this,but same old problem.

jhbremer
Initiate
Initiate

I can report that the app works as it did previous to 03/14.  Same with my http request program to automatically arm/disarm based on wifi connection.

Nik765
Guide
Guide

@Nik765wrote:

@DocVegaswrote:

Good Luck.

I tried it again and so far, after six hours,I have not gotten the message again. This time I uninstalled the app, shut the tablet down and then restarted and installed it again. So far so good.

Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
After several days my android note 5 has NOT timed out and everything seems to be running normally. I hope everyone else is experiencing the same success. I hope Netgear learns something out of all this mess. Happy Easter everyone.
Nik765
Guide
Guide

I think it's working so far for me as well.

The key was to do as suggested:

Uninstall the app, reboot and then  install the app.

The only thing I've noticed is sometimes the buffering takes 

awhile in live mode.