Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android "Your session has expired. Please log in." error only when using fingerprint login

Discussion stats
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Sometime within the last 2 days, the fingerprint login within my Android Pixel app stopped working and always said "Your session has expired. Please log in." but only when using fingerprint login method.  If I entered username/password I was able to get in.  I tried rebooting the base station, force stopping the app on my phone, both did not work.  It took uninstalling the app entirely and re-installing it.  I know this is some sort of bug because my wife's phone is doing the exact same thing and started at the same time.  Has anyone else encountered this and if so, aware of any known issue?

166 REPLIES 166
sqco
Tutor
Tutor
Returned my still in the box system back to Costco yesterday..full refund..explained why too!
Yeolmu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive tried all those so called solutions and today it logged me out 3 times. What the heck is wrong with this company? This is the sort of thing you'd expect from Chinese 3rd world company. 

And if you do a quick Google search you'll see that over the years people have had this 'session timed out' issue and NETGEAR is still having it TODAY! Speaks volumes of this so called tech company. 

Kertscher
Aspirant
Aspirant

J'ai le message "Your session has expired please login". Je n'arrive pas a depanner, c.a.d. je ferme le tel. et je renclenche, en ce moment cela fonctionne 15 minutes puis le message revient.

Que dois-je faire?

Merci

E. kertscher

Kertscher
Aspirant
Aspirant

pouvez vous expliquer ce que est le multi task bottom, sorry je suis assez vierge dans ce domaine!!!

E. kertscher

@jguerdatwrote:

Workaround for Android (iOS should have something similar):

When presented with the "session expired" message, use the phone's multitask button (2 overlapping rectangles). Arlo should be on top. Click the "X" at the top right of Arlo. Open the Arlo app normally.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

English, please, in this section of the site. There are other language sections if you need by selecting the appropriate language at the top here.

The multitask button is one of the 3 buttons at the bottom of your phone's screen. The center one is the Home button, flanked by Back (arrow or curved arrow) and multitask (1 or 2 squares). Touch the multitask button and a list of recently used apps will appear. Find Arlo and click on the "X" to close Arlo.

You can also use the phone's settings to force close the Arlo app. Settings, Apps/Application/Application Manager (however your phone displays this), select Arlo and use Force Close.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Come on Netgear fix your app already. First you broke it. how long is it going to take for you to fix it. It really seems like you don't care. You updated the app and it worked fine before. If something isn't broken don't fix it
hard2access
Aspirant
Aspirant
English is my only language. Using a home automated app instead of Arlo. Read that are low and Netgear are separated into two separate businesses so that is probably the problem
kmackey82
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo released an update to the Android app a couple weeks ago which is the root of the problem. iOS doesn't seem to have this issue. I don't think an update was released for iOS. Don't waste your time uninstalling and reinstalling.

Hopefully they resolve this soon. Really defeats the purpose to immediately see what's going on when your cameras trigger if you have to log in each time. 

Mike78
Initiate
Initiate

I just got off the Support 'chat' with them. They stated "We are fully aware of the login issue on the app since the latest update." They do not have an ETA of when this will be fixed, but this issue has been escalated. 

Attached is a screenshot of the error that I see for Android. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Yeolmu wrote:

This is the sort of thing you'd expect from Chinese 3rd world company. 

Can we keep this discussion within the bounds of sanity. China hasn't been a third world country in quote some time. Ask Apple or President Trump.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Dbtothadb
Guide
Guide

Same problem here for the last few days. This is total nonsense for this type of issue to persist. It is actually a safety issue in many cases, that's why we have the cameras, no?

Because of this issue and the slow delay before the camera alerts me, and stuttering video, I don't mind mentioning that I got the Tend camera for like $60 and it is a far superior product. Super fast alerts, no weird login issues, good resolution, under 1 second latecy (instead of Arlo's 3-7seconds) when visually adjusting the camera while looking at the phone. Free cloud storage. Just putting that out there for anyone still within the return window for your Arlo purchase.

Kertscher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now I understand, there is a basic problem and many users are concerned. Once agian, unfortunately american services are just a cloud of dust and many words without action. I was reluctant when I bought the installation and I will hold back any further buy.which are on the budgetr

Anyhow I need a solution to get rid of the message "your session has expired......"

Best regards

KE

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

For everyone on this thread, hopefully this is the answer we've been waiting for.  The new Android app version is out.  Get yours updated and let's see if they did their job!

Check out the release notes:

Capture.JPG

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

An update for the Android Arlo mobile app is now available in the app store that addresses this issue. Please visit the app store and be sure you are up to date on the latest version of the Arlo Mobile App: Release Notes - Android App 2.4.10 - 26th March 2018

JamesC

PapiRey
Guide
Guide

How can I stay signed in to the Arlo app on my phone? I used to have no problems clicking on the app and it opening up, now it always tells me "My session has expired" and to sign in again. To do this, I have to sign-out first. This whole process can be time consuming when I have to do it 10-20 times a day! My phone has a password/fingerprint security. Thats good enough for me. I think a recent update has caused this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A new Android app has been released for this. Have you updated?

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

1. Can we get the specifics about what was changed with regards to the background timeout?

2. What is the expected behavior when the app goes to the background?

3. For how long can we expect it to still function in that state before being asked to re-login?

ATC250R
Star
Star

So far so good.  I opened my Arlo app, it came up with the "logged out" yellow bar, but then went immediately to the login screen.  Used my fingerprint, and logged in with no problem, rather than the endless loop/yellow bar/trying to time it/having to force stop...

I too would like to know how long it takes before the app times out, or perhaps that could be a user specified variable in the settings?

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Yeah, that's the reason I asked - because after I updated to the latest and had it running for a while, I was prompted to re-login again after a certain amount of time.  I didn't keep track of how long it was, but I suspect they may have just fixed the re-prompting loop issue, but will still require to re-login every X amount of time - not that they removed the requirement to re-authenticate as that would likely be a security risk.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Damn update still doesnt work right as I still get the session time out orange bar and the screen goes black with the time out orange bar, tap the screen again and it will open. Christ sakes cant they fix it?

JAX0172
Aspirant
Aspirant

You might need to restart your phone.  The update worked for me... I had the same issues prior to the update.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I get the "session expired message" on multiple devices but simply use the Back button on the device and it works fine. Not sure WHY...

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Don't know what happened overnight but the new app is working great now. No problems.
WTYBBQ
Tutor
Tutor
Updated with the "fix", restarted phone, now I get the session timeout, plus a new "internal error" message.
ATC250R
Star
Star

Well, 24 hours and it seems to be better.  It still logs me out (Your Session has expired. Please Log In") after awhile, but it does allow me to log in without having to force stop the app.  I still want to know what the time frame is for the "expired" session; I never used to have to re-login.  Come on, Netgear, what is the timeframe that you have instituted into the app for the session to "expire"?  Can you make it user-configurable?