Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Sometime within the last 2 days, the fingerprint login within my Android Pixel app stopped working and always said "Your session has expired. Please log in." but only when using fingerprint login method.  If I entered username/password I was able to get in.  I tried rebooting the base station, force stopping the app on my phone, both did not work.  It took uninstalling the app entirely and re-installing it.  I know this is some sort of bug because my wife's phone is doing the exact same thing and started at the same time.  Has anyone else encountered this and if so, aware of any known issue?

166 REPLIES 166
lilypadfrog
Guide
Guide

I have been having difficulty with logging into my Arlo Pro 2 Security Camera since March 8.  Support has told me that I need to uninstall the app, wait a minute then re-install the app.  Then I have to log into the system before I can see what caused the cameras to alert.  Each time my cameras alert, I have to do this.  This takes too much time before I can see if the alert sounded due to a stray cat or someone prowling around my home.  I have tried to work through customer service, but that seems to be nonexistent at this point.  I am tired ot posting requests for support based on my ticket number only to receive absolutely no messages or call backs in return.  I cannot always wait over an hour on the phone or in an on line chat support room, as I did on March 15, before speaking to someone who does not know the answer.  Does anyone in the community have a solution to this problem?  

Rezolution
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue since 3/15 as everyone else in this thread.  The issue isn't resolved yet, supposedly they are working on fixing it.  The best thing you can do is bring up the app with the task manager, kill the app, then reopen the app.  At least that way you don't have to re-type your password every time you want to check your cameras.

-"unrelated brightness question" removed-

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary
Please post your unrelated brightness question in a new thread so this doesn't get hijacked and make the fix hard to followfor others.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a workaround, not a fix. Use the multitask button (1 or 2 overlapping rectangles next to the Home button) and click on the "X" for Arlo. Restart the app normally.

hard2access
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did use fingerprint but when the session expired please login started happening I reinstall the app and declined fingerprint. The app still says the same thing. Nothing has changed. I've tried every suggestion on here. This is not a security camera if the app is no good.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is aware of this issue and hopes to have a fix available very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, I will provide an update as soon as I have more information on the fix.

JamesC

Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
Thank you. I certainly hope this issue can be resolved quickly.
lilypadfrog
Guide
Guide

jguerdat,  I use a Samsung Galaxy 7 smart phone to access my Arlo.  I tried to find your instructions, but could not.  There is no "Home" button.  When I have problems on the system, there is a wide orange line going across the top part of my screen.  This orange line "Session expired.  Please log back in" covers all access to mode, devices, library, settings and part of the top of my first camera screen.  If I click on it, it will not let me access settings or anything under this line.  

Thank you so much for responding.  That was infinitely better than the customer service on this site.  I wish I had the time to be on hold for over an hour so I could actually speak to a customer rep, but I do not.  Since I cannot seem to get this fixed, I will be looking at other systems to install.  Please don't think I am just giving up on this, but I have been trying to get help since March 8 and that's simply too long for a company to ignore requests.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

lilypadfrog,

What you're seeing is what we're all seeing.  I'll give you a little insight into how I deal with my issue when it prevents you from doing anything because it keeps showing the banner repeatedly.  If you tap somewhere not on the banner, the banner goes away for half a second, which is enough time for you to tap the little 3 dots in the top right corner of the app that the banner normally is covering up.  Then you can click "log off" and then log back either with credentials, or fingerprint. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@lilypadfrog wrote:

jguerdat,  I use a Samsung Galaxy 7 smart phone to access my Arlo.  I tried to find your instructions, but could not.  There is no "Home" button. 

The Home button may or may not be a hardware button but you have three "buttons" at the bottom of the phone's screen. The middle one is Home and the Back and Multitask buttons are on each side. Depending on the manufacturer, they could be swapped. For Samsung, I think the multitask button would be the one on the left.

jhbremer
Initiate
Initiate

I've also had the issue for about a week as well.

Besides breaking the app on my Android, it also broke some automation I have set up to arm/disarm the system when I leave wifi.  My program sends http request to netgear to authenticate then arm or disarm the system when my phone leaves/enters wifi (so I don't have to use the geofencing which really sucks to be honest).  It was working GREAT until they dropped the update last week.  Getting the same "session expired" response in the http request that I'm getting in the Android app.

lilypadfrog
Guide
Guide

Honest, cross my heart, there is no home button at the top.  The only three spots at the top are "Mode, Devices, Library.  When my session "logs out" I cannot access any of these.  Even clicking on the "go back" button on my phone does not always work or when it does, there is not sufficient time for me to try to open these.  At times, I

had to actually turn off my phone in order to get out of this screen so I can do the uninstall / re-install thing.

Again, thank you for trying.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

I guess it may depend on the phone model, mine's a Google Pixel so options may be located in different areas.  See attached images.  First one is with the banner not going away, but I clicked off it long enough to expose the 3 dots menu in the top right corner I was referring to, which lets me log out.  Maybe find the equivalent menu location for your device.

session-expired.jpglogout-menu.jpg

TOOMUCHSTUFF
Guide
Guide

The HOME button he"s talking about is not at the top of the screen, but at the bottom. There sould be a back button (mine is a left arrow), a home button (mine is a circle) and a task manager button (mine is square).

Here is the temporary quick fix to keep from getting the orange message the next time you access Arlo:

1. Get logged back into Arlo to where everything is working correctly.

2. Arm, Disarm, check library, live view or anything you need to do.

3. Leave the Arlo App by going back to your Home screen on your phone.

4. Next touch the Task Manager button which will show you your previous tasks.

5. The last task that is shown should be your Arlo App, so just hit the X at the top right of the Arlo box to close that task.

If you remember to do step 5 every time you exit the Arlo App, your session won't expire and you will not get the "session expired, please log in" message.  Remember, this is just a temporary fix until Netgear can figure out to fix their problem.

Tiffanyspotts12
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having the same issue and I need it to be fixed soon I got my cameras on the 1st it works so well until the update on the 15th and which is also the day I got new cameras somehow my base Station got disconnected and I have not been able to connect since I can log into the app but it keeps wanting me to put in my password every time I do something but the app can't even connect to the base station anymore it was great at first but now it seems like a big ass waste of time in a bigger waste of money I'm getting really upset and I feel like you guys don't put out enough updates on this situation and there is not enough human support I don't want to look up things and ways to fix it I want to talk to someone who knows what they are doing and knows how to fix it these cameras cost too much damn money for this much trouble
Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
This has gone on since the upgrade was initiated. It is so sad that such a unique product that many of us were very satisfied with has allowed itself to become such an issue related to android device connectivity. Unfortunately I can't in all honesty refer my friends to use this product unless they are on the Apple version. This has unfortunately turned into a real nightmare for the Netgear family. I'm sure they are working to resolve the matter but they must be more open with their progress, posting regularly their knowledge of the problems and their continued work towards a solution.
Thewood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have purchased Ring doorbells and cameras as a replacement in case they don't fix this issue.  If it gets fixed in a few days, I'll return the Ring stuff.  Ring doorbell is much faster in response that arlo, but has its own app issues.

lilypadfrog
Guide
Guide

I had been planning on getting two more cameras to put on the back / side of my house, but with this problem I don't believe I will get Arlo cameras.  I plan on purchasing Ring spotlight cameras to put in these spots.  Then I will see which system, over time, seems to be more effective.  Once I can determine which is more effective, I will replace the other set.  This is a costly experience for me.  I am retired and not only have to purchase the systems, but I have to pay for installation since I cannot climb a ladder anymore.  The fact that the Arlo company has not responded to this issue, which for me has been occurring since March 8, is beyond my comprehension.

I do thank those in the community who have tried to guide me to solutions.

fr33t
Star
Star

I agree with you - it is difficult to unerstand why it takes so long to solve this problem that didn't occur in the previous version of the software. However, with the current work-around (kill the application and restart without needing to type again the password) - it works fine for me, the situation is a little better even if not satisfactory.

- FR.

BetaUser3000
Guide
Guide
I have not encountered the session timeout error since this morning. I didn't do anything on my end. Since mid-March, whenever I tapped the notification of a motion-triggered recording on my android phone, I always got the session timeout error which I temporarily got around by killing the arlo app and relaunching. It's only been four hours so I will post later tonight.
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Yesterday, JamesC a NETGEAR moderator indicated that he'd post here once it's resolved. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Android-quot-Your-session-has-expired-Please-log-in-quot...

ATC250R
Star
Star

Mine is still doing the same...really frustrating.

Tirak
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I planned to buy more than 500 systems for my customers. Now I will give the competitors a chance.

BetaUser3000
Guide
Guide
I spoke too soon, I am still getting session timed out on my android phone so I need to terminate and relaunch.
mscdavis45
Tutor
Tutor
I didn't have this problem before when I first bought Arlo cameras. The past 2 weeks the problem started. What can I do?