Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
Kyoungmin
Aspirant
Aspirant
Old version does not work for me either...
Sonata
Guide
Guide

The Arlo Q cameras are pretty amazing; video, audio, and motion detection is all as advertised.  The app, however, is buggy, prone to crashing, and is also a bit convoluted in how it's laid out.  But, overall the general functioning of the camera is what I expected.

The other primary reason I choose the Arlo Q cameras was to control them with Alexa.  Here are the comments included in the product description when I bought the cameras-- as was advertised:

"Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)"

"Works with Amazon Alexa/Echo Show/Fire TV/Google Assistant - View your live video with a simple voice command."

These is the actual full list of commands posted here on this support website, none of which works with Arlo Q:

Alexa, show me <camera name>.

Alexa, stop.
Alexa, hide <camera name>.
Alexa, go home.

Conclusion is, the Arlo Q does not work with Alexa at all.  And, to say it does is a lie.

Additionally, I've tried to get Arlo Q to work with Fire TV without success.  What I get is "Sorry.  Cameras don't work on this device." Below related article from a year ago speaking about this very issue-- and yet nothing has been fixed-- and yet the product is still advertised to work with Alexa and FireTV when the fact is it works with neither.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Arlo-Cameras-works-with-Amazon-Fire-TV-when-link-your-Amazon/td-p...

NjTigger
Aspirant
Aspirant
App keeps crashing after update cannot open app on my phone anymore
PJANDO
Tutor
Tutor

I couldn’t agree with the above more.

The latest app update is utterly appalling and has reduced the functionality of the system to useless.  It doesn’t notify me anymore about movement and no, I’m not giving the app phone access as it’s just not required.

if anyone has the old apk to upload somewhere, I’d be grateful.

Netgear, get this absolute shower under control.

Toby8
Aspirant
Aspirant
same happens to me the app just disappeared while launching. Uninstall & reinstall didn't help.
BrianBrumit
Initiate
Initiate

I have been using Arlo for over a year with almost no problems at all, the other day I had to get a new phone, a Motorola E5, I was able to download the app perfectly fine, when I ran the app it started up normal asking for login and password, so I entered those information, immediately the app crashed.

Further openings of the program caused immediate crashing of the app, I tried it on a 2nd phone of the same make and model with the same result.

Is there some reason that the Arlo app will not work on this phone?  I am dumbfounded.

peebs
Guide
Guide

Because the makers of Arlo are clueless or egotistical (can't admit they have incompetant programmers/managers/CEO), they will never go back to the old app versions or allow its customers access to older app versions on Google Play. If you are on android and you haven't made a backup of an older Arlo app version that actually worked, (such as the app with the green and white bird logo), then you will have to search out on the web various apk mirror sites, that might have older versions of the Arlo app that you can download. I have no idea if these web sites are virus ridden sites, so I can't recommend any particular web site.

Truly sad the company that makes Arlo has fallen to such disrepair in such a short time (don't really understand the deal with Netgear and how it spun Arlo off into its own company, vague at best). It seems like the company lost the code to its old apps and had to work from scratch with the last 2-3 versions of the "new" and "improved" app (the one with the blue and green bird logo). Maybe the compamy no longer owns the code to the old app, and told its foreign programmers to whip up a new one right quick, and that is why the app is total crap. Or maybe Arlo should just go out of business and be done with it. It sure seems to be the route they are heading for. 

Mmuzyka
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo stopped working on our phones on Thanksgiving, but it still works on our laptop. It appears Arlo was updated on Wednesday. I checked the version number and it's the same on the phone and laptop. I've email Arlo tech support but no response. We really relie on the camera's for home security, I'm very disappointed with them.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

budkirby
Initiate
Initiate
Found older version and reinstalled it.
Now Arlo system working again.
Turned off auto updates in Google to prevent faulty update from installing. Will try next update. Maybe it will work may be not. Now I have a working copy saved to my system just in case.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For Android:

BoxerDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
My app won't load on my phone. Samsung J7. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. It reads that the Arlo app failed. Worked fine for nearly a year until last Thursday night.. Help!!
BoxerDad
Aspirant
Aspirant

MannyF52
Initiate
Initiate

I have a Samsung J727A  running Android ver 8.1.0 working fine with my Arlo cameras since last Christmas. all of a sudded a few days ago I got the Arlo has stopped working. Send feedback. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail.

ASRL
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have also contacted Arlo support, lots of live chat messages. Unfortunately, no resolution very disappointing as installed this for security and I am away from home. Real pain that an update kills the App. Will post if support resolves the problem.
frankie62
Tutor
Tutor
I'm having the exact same issue with the app on my Samsung phone. I can see the status on the Mode tab but can't get in to change anything.
frankie62
Tutor
Tutor
I wanted to add that I manage two separate Arlo base stations from the Mode tab. My boyfriend only has one base station and his is still working correctly.
slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

Have you tried to clear Cache and Data of the Arlo App and then run the app again? That is like restoring the app back to it's default settings as if it was the first time you had installed it.
Note: Uninstalling and Reinstalling does not clear the Cache and Data and this holds true with any app.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
VBISHOP51
Aspirant
Aspirant

Works on my samsung tablet but not on my samsung j7 phone. 

BoxerDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was very excited :-). Because it seems to be working. The app opened and I was able to login but as soon as it logged me in it gave me the same error message as before.

Thank you for the helpful reply. I hope they can tell me what's wrong with it.

** Edited because voice to text sometimes hates me. LOL.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @vincetbone,

Have you tried to reinstall the app and see if you are able to navigate to the mode display? Are you experiencing this issue through the web version?

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I deal with this same issue. At times it works, at times it doesn't.

The cameras all display fine via the Arlo App, but when accessing the Google HOME app on my phone it cannot display the cameras. and when using the Google HOME device, when I ask her to show me a camera, she gives me the message that' the stream is unavailable.

It appears that Google Home and the Arlo cameras are not communicating.

Not sure if it's a Google HOME or an Arlo problem.

It's frustrating to say the least.

Netknut
Guide
Guide

ARLO app vs. 2.6.3_20300 on Samsung SM-J727A Android vs. 8.1.0

I receive 'ARLO has stopped' message immediately after successfully logging in. Immediate repeated attempts display 'ARLO keeps stopping'.

Problem began on 11/22/18 and case # 40584444 was opened on 11/23/18.

No replay from Netgear as of this post

vince-s
Aspirant
Aspirant

when i try to access my cameras from my phone app, i get a message saying "arlo has stopped".

I uninstalled the app, then re-installed, and that is still what I am getting.

Everything else is working properly.

Any help?

Cant seem to get anyone on Live Chat.

Thanks