Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's only happening to some devices. It works fine o 2 devices for me but not on another. I've reported it. This is a holiday weekend so no idea what kind of response we'll get.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's only happening to some devices. It works fine o 2 devices for me but not on another. I've reported it. This is a holiday weekend so no idea what kind of response we'll get.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

dmlmotto
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am running Android 8.0.0 on the phone and the picture shows the version of the arlo app
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Same problem for me. I denied push notifications and I can't turn off cameras. I should be the one to make decisions for my cameras without being forced into allowing something I don't need or want.
jkalbright
Tutor
Tutor

Same here... new Arlo Android App crashes every time I try to run it. Ran great before the upgrade a couple of days ago.

I want my older version back !!!!!!!

ljb1143
Aspirant
Aspirant

slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

That is a bit vague. what is the App doing and or not doing?
What truble shooting steps have you tried so far?

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
TOOMUCHSTUFF
Guide
Guide

Same problem with the app on both mine and my wifes phones.  Both are LG G6 android version 8.0.0 phones. 

When we go from the Devices or Library screen to the Mode screen, it will show the status (armed or disarmed), but it won't let us open the screen to arm or disarm the Home Base.  Only once in a while does it work as it should.

Another problem that just started since this update.  Both our phones have custom notification sounds that still show up in the Arlo settings as being correct, but when we get an alert, the sound we hear is not what is in the settings.  Instead, we both hear the default notification sound that's in our phone settings. 

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I used to think that at least the Arlo app was stable and didn't crash like my other security camera apps.... Well now my Arlo app is worse than my other security camera apps. It's quite unstable now. In addition to the other issues introduced by the last update,  the app now crashes or hangs in weird ways. Sometimes it hangs my entire phone. Plus, it seems that getting live views or waiting for the videos to show up takes longer. I did notice with the October update that I couldn't view some of my videos. It's disappointing and frustrating how many of us have invested so much in these products in hopes of security and peace of mind, but yet the Arlo products just get worse and more unreliable....

mjanesinjr
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Galaxy J7 V Updated November 21 with version 2.6.3_23000 and now all I get is an App stopped error.

I've tried the fixes I've found but this is too new of an update. You can't roll it back.. 

This phone is important! I keep watch on my 88 y/o mother with it.

What's the fix?

Please Help!! 

MartinSwede
Apprentice
Apprentice

Big problem for many right now. Even for IOS/Apple. My app crashes allt the time after uppdate. Seems that as soon I make a call or recive a call in mobile the app crasches. Suggest you report it and push the support. More we are pushing they might take it seriously and start testing update before going live.

Rp19
Tutor
Tutor
As of this morning my Arlo app keeps stopping immediately, uninstalled many times, still nothing, samsung galaxy j7, I believe there was an app update on 11/21 that made this mess!!
1707ARLOMAR3869
Aspirant
Aspirant

arlo says "stopped working" we have had it setup since 6-27-18. we have had no issues loggin in and out daily...do you have a major problem????? just now it prompted e to setup our username like we were starting all over??

also now a camera outside started having broken up video &  checked it. it had water inside. we let it dry up and it still won't take a charge (what do we do??) we don't understand how water could get into this camera after 4 months of use!!

Rp19
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo app states "keeps stopping" , uninstalled and reinstalled app, same thing occurs, samsung galaxy j7
scuba1ok
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issue and NOT happy! I too have uninstalled and re-installed the app on my Samsung smart phone, and I get the exact same error. "Arlo has stopped" with the Open app again or Send Feedback options, neither of which does anything. Getting pissed that there's no HUMAN tech support to even call for this.

paulpark1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo android app wont start on my phone.  It starts too then a screen appears and says it has stopped working and to send feedback.  

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 2 times and same thing happens

Any ideas?

Rp19
Tutor
Tutor
I was able to locate the previous app install before the 11/21/18 update that messed things up on APKmirror.com. Hope this helps. Mine works now. Turn off automatic updates also
Rp19
Tutor
Tutor
Go to apkmirror.com, put arlo in the search, go down to the oct 30, 2018 app date
Ynadroy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same to me but only when I get a phone call any recommendation yet
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you read the other threads here about the Android update, you'll see that some devices have an issue while others don't. I've reported it but you can, too, by opening a case with support here. You can try a different device or a computer browser.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the other threads here about the same thing. Open a case with support here to add emphasis.

Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

I have the same problem and the other tread from this summer addressing the issue says "Solved" and the solution was to update the app. However, my app updated on Nov 21st and today is only Nov 23rd. So I don't think sending people to a previous thread is the answer here.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can also try a different device or a browser. Be sure to open a case with support here.