Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

What's going on again at Arlo server? Just to expect today is good opportunity for Arlo to shine as there was an accident in the morning in front of my driveway where a kid was hit by a car. Police arrived and asked for witnesses. I thought I could help giving evidence but TO MY HORROR NOTHING WAS CAPTURED!. Not a single one, nothing on local drive either. Even with so much activities with people and vehicles, cameras just didn't capture anything. JUST LIKE THAT!  What kind of system Arlo has been. 

SO UNRELIABLE, TRULY IS! 

Folks stay away from this company. Believe me my 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras have been having so many issues in the last 1.5 years. I'm really fed up!

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DoNotBuyArlo wrote:

there was an accident in the morning in front of my driveway where a kid was hit by a car. Police arrived and asked for witnesses. I thought I could help giving evidence but TO MY HORROR NOTHING WAS CAPTURED!.

What is the distance between the camera and the accident location?

Do you have USB storage connected to the base?  If you do, then check the USB storage, as there could be a video there.

DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

The camera position has not been changed in the last 1.5 years. It is powered by Solar Panel and never been repositioned.

Do you have USB storage connected to the base?  If you do, then check the USB storage, as there could be a video there.

Yep, done that. No recording for the whole day today. Yesterday there were heaps including animals, person and vehicles. Something for sure is crumbling in the Arlo cloud.

Again, as I've said this system has encountered many issues of performance inconsistencies.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DoNotBuyArlo wrote:

The camera position has not been changed in the last 1.5 years. It is powered by Solar Panel and never been repositioned.

I get the frustration, and I'm not discounting a firmware issue.  If it's not on the USB drive either, then it's not about the cloud.  The USB drive will save all recordings, even if there is no connection to the cloud at all.

Of course we only know what you tell us.  And one thing we don't know is whether you got reliable motion detection on the street in front of your driveway before.  Personally I position my cameras as best I can to avoid those recordings. 

The reliable PIR range for motion detection is about 20-25 feet for adult-sized people.  With my cameras I do get vehicles (and sometimes people) who are further away, but not as reliably as I get with motion that is closer to the camera.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In truth, the Arlo cameras are NOT designed to pick up cars but people.

As mentioned above the max range for poeple is 25 ft for the newer versions ( 20 for the Arlo HD ).

The only Arlo camera the really picks up vehicles 100% is the Q cameras as they use pixel change to detect motion ( not PIR )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

To all who responded, thank you!

But just to let you know, today recording is back to normal. I've done nothing at all. The cameras are still on the same position.

Today's library so far includes a delivery truck, my neighbour mowing his front lawn and several passing cars. So tell me Arlo what happened yesterday that nothing was recorded?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation