Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Regarlo
Initiate
Initiate

About 1/3 of the recordings Play for about 10 seconds and then the video freezes but the audio keeps playing. I have tried downloading the recording but the saved file is no different. I have two arlo pro 2 cameras both having the same problem. They are both hard wired. I use the arlo app on an iPhone8. The audio does not seem to be in sink with the picture either.
Not what you would expect for the price you pay for them.

338 REPLIES 338
mophead
Tutor
Tutor

I do have horrible pixelation sometimes on live.  Rebooting the base seems to fix for a while.  I have now plugged a thumb drive into the base to see if I get the good locally recorded vids others have reported.  A new super-duper router has changed nothing, nor did a Netgear powerline adapter to get the base closer to the camera.  Someone has theorized that something is happening between the base and the cloud.  Could the modem have anything to do with it?  Mine's the same one i've had for 3 years, but maybe it doesn't play well with last spring's firmware updates?  There is SOMETHING different between us and the folks who are having no problems.

Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a set of the Nest Cam IQ outdoors and a set of the Nest Cam outdoors. I love the IQ and the Nest Cam the Arlo Pro2 don’t come close to it. I love the features of the IQ face recognition and the pictures video and sound quality will blow you away. I can listen to my neighbor across the street entire conversation clearly which is 150 feet away. Plus in 2020 Nest is going to make their subscription more affordable which is a little expensive then Arlo. The only thing about the IQ camera they use a lot of data if you set the camera on the highest quality of video and bandwidth. That’s why I only got one set of these cameras and the other set of the Nest Cam outdoors. Most of the Best Buy Associate don’t really have any ideal regarding cameras and networking devices. So you have to do your research. I’m pretty tech  savvy plus I have experience in this area. When using these cameras you want to make sure you have a mesh router as well great internet speed that can handle multi device at the same time. My Final thought the Nest Cam is the Best and  reliable security system that records 24/7 so you’ll never miss anything. I had the system for 2 months now no complaints.

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Received an email update from Support regarding my case #, probably at the urging of @JamesC (Thank You!).  Unfortunately, all they said was that they're "still waiting for a fix", and the workaround is to "unplug it from power".

If, as I suspect, the data stream is being corrupted when uploaded from the base station to the cloud, but only some of us are having this issue, could there be a router setting that needs to be changed?

Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope the fix comes soon I for one can’t wait much longer my patience is running out.

The time it’s taking for a fix is beyond ridiculous and am not alone in feeling arlo is giving us the big finger, I hope I am wrong.

mophead
Tutor
Tutor

Well, this is interesting.  The videos from the last two days that are the moving pixelation mess are in both locations--both those recorded locally on my thumb drive plugged into the base, and those from the cloud.  Many were fine but about three or four in the last two days were pixelated.  Yet others say their locally recorded ones are fine.  Not sure what that says...

MyArloCam
Guide
Guide

This is an update to my post yesterday (hello: @billkex ) -- I thought that maybe upgrading the router and rebooting many times had helped to resolve the various different issues. I may have spoke too soon. I noticed today that the ghosting is still happening at around 12 seconds. Although, the recording quality is still better now after my numerous reboots and router upgrade (not pixelized like before).

Dannybear
Master
Master
The moving pixelation bug in the camera firmware has been about for almost a year. I believe it is unrelated to the truncated video recordings to the cloud.
An additional issue is that you can no longer manually record live to the cloud on cabled cameras.
billkex
Luminary
Luminary
Well, since you tried using a new fast wifi router, and it didnt improve things, it saves me the time and money with trying that.

I am trying to grasp at what is causing it. Arlo sent me another base to try (another VMB 4000) and it made no difference. I wonder if a different (base) model would make any difference?

As Ive said a million times, all of this equipment worked FINE before 6/2019.
So, its gotta be something on their end?
RogerWilco486
Guide
Guide

I've had enough... 

I just ordered a Ubiquiti UniFi CloudKey Gen2 Plus and two UniFi G3 cameras for less than the Arlo Pro 2 kit cost me.  That's like 1600 hours of on-site 24x7 1080P storage, a "Hybrid" Cloud solution where even though all the footage is stored on-site is also available from anywhere via their free iOS/Android App with Geo-Fencing, privacy and motion alert zones, etc all supported.

The only gotcha is almost all their cameras are wired PoE.  I already have a PoE switch and no issues getting Cat 6 to the cameras, so not a problem here.

MyArloCam
Guide
Guide

Hey @billkex glad to save you the hassle. The image disappearing is still there. But, the video quality looks clearer and 3 sec lookback seem to be working again. Can't say what made things better - new router, reboots, firmware, change in weather... Anyway, the ghosting is still happening, major bug in system.

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting, @Dannybear , you say you can no longer record live video to the cloud with cabled (I assume you mean AC powered) cameras?  Mine still seems to work.  Another puzzle....

Dannybear
Master
Master
Yes it is a puzzle, I found this after reading another’s post and tested. Seems that you can get it to record once between base station resets.
mophead
Tutor
Tutor

The results are in!  Between Arlo and Nest Cam IQ Outdoors, Nest wins hands down!  I did a temporary set-up of the Nest this afternoon and have several videos plus live viewing to compare to Arlo, and there is no contest.  NO pixelation of ANY degree, even zoomed in!  NO videos truncated in the midst of motion!  NO ghosting!  NO sudden disappearances of subjects!  NO soundless second-half-of-video!  Sound and video match!  Night view is superb, decidedly sharper.

Certainly supports that my set-up has nada to do with it, and the problems are all on Arlo's end.  What a shame.  I loved the Arlo camera till the horrible problems began last spring.  I am completely baffled as to why their support of their product is so poor.  Of course it is possible that problems will show up with Nest in due time, but for now, sadly, Arlo has lost a customer.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

How does the Nest outdoor cameras compare to Arlo as far as:

Battery only cameras (I have these out on my property)

No monthly fee

Access to multiple cameras live and video recordings on your smartphone

Motion activated to start recording video

Notifications via smartphone when motion is detected

Microphone & speaker on camera

These were the things that attracted me to Arlo, ....including the 1080 image quality (which seems to no longer exist)

If I switch to another brand, I'm hoping I can get similar features to what Arlo offered

One of the main reasons why I went with Arlo is because I refuse to pay a user fee.

I like the fact that I can view live video and recorded video of 5 cameras from my smartphone and not pay anything.

At times, I wondered if I were to move to the premier or elite service, would it solve these problems?  and I understand the answer is NO. Even those that pay a monthly service fee are having these issues, so I'm glad I'm not paying for this crap.

What really bothers me is that I know these ($200 apiece) cameras are NOT the problem. and if I switch to another brand, these cameras are worthless to me. Too bad these cameras can't be used in some other way?

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
Please start a new thread about your evaluation of the nest products. With all due respect, I’d like to keep this thread on topic.
mophead
Tutor
Tutor

Agree, completely--the no fee option was the clincher for Arlo along with the other features you mention.  And I hate to have a useless camera for which I paid plenty.  But I am missing so much now that it is almost useless as is.

To answer your questions:

Access to live and multiple recorded videos on smartphone--check.

Motion and/or sound activated video--check.

Notifications on phone when motion detected--check.

Two-way audio--check.

1080p image quality is as advertised.

It also has facial recognition so that it won't trigger on familiar faces, but will alert you to unfamiliar ones. 

The negatives (which no longer outweigh the positives for me because the positives of Arlo have been so degraded):

The Nest camera I bought is plug-in only.  I had run an outlet to the Arlo camera because I wanted the features you get with power (3 second look-back, not having to worry about recharging, etc) so that's not an issue.

Monthly fee--I decided this was no longer a deal-breaker because of the quality of the camera and the value to me of having a high-functioning unit.  Plus beginning in 2020 they will offer a $5 monthly option which gives you 5 days, and $10 for 10 days to download video--which is plenty of time for me, and very much worth it.  I don't usually let more than a couple of days go by without sorting through my videos to save or delete.

Hope this helps.

mophead
Tutor
Tutor

Eric you have a good point!  I do think it's relevant at least to report our choice to leave Arlo behind because of these problems--both because Arlo needs to know this and disgusted owners will be interested in whether another brand successfully eliminates the problems they are having with Arlo.  My experience pretty conclusively answers the questions of whether wi-fi interference, our set-up, etc are to blame, or whether the problem is with Arlo. Beyond that, you are probably right--we should probably start another thread to compare products. 

Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m glad to hear you are happy with the Nest Cam IQ outdoors camera. I don’t think Nest will have the issue as Arlo. Arlo in it only for the money, if you notice that Arlo keep releasing new security system to keep its consumer buying and not address the issues with it current products. Now they have a door bell security camera. Before they had a doorbell that would work with your security cameras but it wasn’t a security camera what a waste of money. When I 1st got the Arlo system I saw all these bad views on the arlo on social media the main one was how bad the customer service was. Now I see . Nest is the top security camera system on the market in January of 2020 it will have e911 as well and the subscription will be more affordable to compete with it competition. The down fall about the nest is that it subscription is so high. For me I rather have a peace of mind knowing my system and seeing my system is working beside guessing. Nest is winner of any Wi-Fi security camera.
Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can answer that for you with the nest cam you don’t have to have a subscription. It will give you 6 hours of video clips a day what it records . You can view live view. The security camera are hardwire and have to be plug in outlet. The nest cam outdoors IQ must be plugged in outlet in doors the cord 25ft long none weather resistance. They due sale outdoors weather resistant on amazon. The nest cam subscription give you real security awareness which I highly recommend. You have to remember it’s a need to know what’s going on your property to protect yourself family and your property so these things cost just like alarm monitoring system cost each month with both you can’t go wrong.
Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the nest cam and the nest cam IQ outdoors security camera. I have both set of two cameras of each love the performance of both the IQ camera I’m blown away how clear the video picture and sound quality plus it does face recognition it has auto zoom that will follow the person that in that zone settings until they out of the frame of view. It records 24/7 so you’ll never miss anything it give notification of person you set sound notification as well to someone talking a dog barking and others. It’s hardwire, with a hardwire camera you going to get a better performance out of it. In January 2020 nest will make their subscription little less expensive to compete with the competition and also offer e911 which the only thing that was missing that matter to me. If your arlo camera not working the e911 is useless.
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

For those of us that have experienced these problems, What type of service did you have?

Basic  (the free one)  ....now called the "No subscription",  Smart, Premier, Elite, etc.

I have the Basic.

Sometimes I wonder if Arlo did this on purpose to ween users off the free or cheaper plans, or to get us to upgrade to a newer cameras?

Question: I wonder if Pro 3 or Ultra cam users are experiencing any of these problems?

Cpcp
Guide
Guide
I pay for additional cameras (I have 6) doesn’t matter same issue ..also the number of notifications never appears on the Arlo icon on my phone any longer .. they also know about this with no resolution
mchromiec
Guide
Guide

Australian Update

After 6 or so months of troubleshooting and not getting anywhere with Arlo. I have requested for a refund, this has been going on for almost 2 months now. I can't believe how little care Arlo has for their customers. I now have sent a letter to ACCC(Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) asking to escalate this issue given the amount of people suffering from the same problem. I would urge other Australian users that are affected to also get in contact with ACCC and  lodge their complaint. 

Being nice and patient doesn't pay of with Arlo scums. It is disgusting how we the customers get treated! My emails and case updates are being ignored. I have no other avenue to speak with Arlo now. I've gone through Level 1,2,3 of customer help with no solution at all.

This issue is clearly not important to Arlo. Even @JamesC can't be bothered to reply as there is no solution. Arlo is hoping that we all give up and that way the problem will go away!

Arlo this is just a beginning!!!

RogerWilco486
Guide
Guide

Sayonara, ARLO!  My Arlo Pro2 setup is now piled in a junk box where it belongs.  After spending the day pulling Ethernet to my new Ubiquiti cameras, I couldn't be more thrilled with how well it all works!  

I'm trying to completely cancel my Arlo account but I can't find a way, and searching the KB articles have been no help either.  I suspect I'll need to call...but does anyone know if its possible to do without picking up the phone?

Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recommend you call them. That’s what I did, if you have a subscription with them and paid for the entire year, they will refund you the unused subscription once you cancel.