Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 47 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

(Model VML4030 / Arlo GO LTE Camera ATT Version)

Today I get this message:

2018-04-26_14-16-46.png2018-04-26_14-50-58.png

I am using the genuine netgear/arlo solar panel.   As you can see it is currently clear and sunny.  The solar panel is facing mostly east to maximize daily sun exposure.  This installation is less than a week old.

I reviewed the solar troubleshooting steps.  I noticed that one step was to verify that the cable was securly snapped into the bottom of the solar panel.  I made sure of that at time of installation. 

I may note here that the power cable does not "snap" into place at the camera.  It's secure, its snug, but it doesn't "snap" into place.  I believe this to be a serious design flaw.  I used several zip ties and bailing wire to make sure that critters or wind wont disconnect the power cable.

My installation is 120 miles out.  I'm not planning on visiting the location for another 30 days.

My question is:  What should I consider defective?   The camera?  The battery?  The solar panel?  All of it?

Thank you.

47 REPLIES 47
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alien_scones,

It's difficult to discern what the issue is without you being on site to troubleshoot. Once you're at the location, consider the following.

-disconnect the power cable from the camera and the solar panel

-open the battery compartment door and remove the battery

-replace the battery and close the battery compartment door, be sure the door is closed tightly

-reconnect the charging cable to the camera and the solar panel, make sure the connect is tight and secure

-check your mobile app to make see if you experience the same error message.

JamesC

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm now getting this message:

2018-04-27 15.41.27.png

Why would a ARLO solar charger show up as incompatible?

WTF is going on here?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it could be a hardware problem with either the camera, cable or the panel, it's also been found that incompletely connected connectors can allow water to infiltrate and cause this issue. These connectors are not the easiest to make sure they're seated fully and properly. The connector at the panel needs to have both "wings" snapped into place and the camera connector just has to be coaxed into being fully seated to the seal is complete. 

I've had the same thing and thought I had a bad panel. Brought it inside for a couple of weeks and, voila! It worked again as if it had dried out. I swapped cables around  and couldn't determine what cause the problem - until it rained again. It appears one of my cables isn't sealing properly.

Regardless, you need to check the connectors and you may need to dry everything out (camera USB connector, cable, and the panel). Try again, taking pains to get things fully connected. Check for water everywhere if it happens again (you may need a mgnifier to verify).

Fitforlife
Initiate
Initiate
I have several cameras with same solar panel set up. Both of them have had the exact same error message at one time or another. I luckily have had the experience of them self correcting/fixing. I recently moved one and it was working fine but then started getting the error message a day later. It means it is connected but it is not charging for some reason. I am hoping it might correct itself again. I almost wonder if it is not a programimg issue. I am 700 miles away and cannot just jump over for a quick fix and evaluate. Definitley a problem that requires Arlo attention.
alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice
I got an email that the battery is now at 8%

I might have found someone to visit the camera. I'm asking them to spray the battery bay and cable connection with water-displacement 40 and apply dialectic grease to the connectors.

What else do I need to do in order to make this so called weatherproof camera water resistant?

Also, I've read the solar panel is not designed to charge a dead battery. My question is will it eventually charge a low or empty battery ?

Still disappointed in this camera.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alien_scones,

This should not be necessary to keep the camera/solar panel water resistant. If you've made sure the connection to the camera and solar panel is secure and connected correctly, I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the note. Netgear support is a joke.

I've contacted support previously on an issue registering my first camera. The experience was worse than pulling teeth. Over 6 days I eventually reached level 3 support where they could eventually fix my problem. Even that took 3 days and a backend database change for my problem to be fixed.

This problem is not unique to me. In Amazon, there are 146 product reviews for the solar panel alone, 50% of these ratings are 3 stars or less, while 44 ratings alone are 1 star. Of the 73 low star reviews, 39 mention this exact problem or otherwise won't charge with an error message.

What does Netgear Do? They modify the firmware to block the cheaper compatible chargers that previously worked without any problems.

I'm still pissed, disappointed. I'm visiting the camera again in 2 weeks - which is 120 miles away. When I set it up I made careful attention that it was plugged in secure and nothing would be able to mess with the cable. Doesn't seem to matter.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alien_scones,

I understand the frustration and definitely apologize for the experience. If you'd like, once you're on site and able to troubleshoot further, I can help facilitate the support case. Please let me know.

JamesC

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok. 

I have opened ticket #30112871

I will be onsite at the camera tomorrow afternoon.  

Could you please forward all the 1st and 2nd level support tasks I need to do for this issue?  I'd like to avoid or minimize all the hoops I need to jump through. 

Thank you

Thank you

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's the response I received from support.  My comments in Red 

Please follow the steps below for us to further isolate the issue:

• Remove the affected camera from the account.
Settings >My Devices >Camera >Remove
How is this going to solve the charging problem?  Is my camera account not allowed to use a solar charger? 
• Remove the battery from the camera.
I will try this, but if I need to remove the battery often for troubleshooting, then the Arlo GO camera isn't much of a remote camera. 
• Get one other working camera and swapped the battery vice versa to the affected camera.

I only have one Arlo GO camera.  Mind you this is a $400+ camera, with the solar panel its almost $500.  Will you send me additional cameras to troubleshoot with?

• Unplug the base station for 2 minutes.
Arlo GO cameras don't use base stations.  You aren't really paying attention to this issue, are you?
• Bring the camera closer to the base station, press the sync button from the base station for 2 seconds, after that press the sync button from the camera for 2 seconds.
Arlo GO cameras don't use base stations.  You aren't really paying attention to this issue, are you?
• Once the camera added back, please connect the charger (comes with the system) and see if you still have the error. If so, please send us a screenshot.

• If NO ERROR, please bring the camera and connect it back to the SOLAR PANEL.

• Observe if you still have the error.

• If so, please send us a screenshot. Also, try to connect the Solar Panel to the other working camera if the error will persists.

How will new screenshots of the same damn problem going to help?  It's the same error message.

How do I get past the useless level 1 support? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alien_scones,

I've reviewed and escalated your support case. An agent will reach out to you soon with further information.

JamesC

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

An update

after 15 days Netgear support guessed determined the solar panel is defective and is sending me a replacement, which has not yet shipped.

In my phone conversations with support, I requested that they send me the "wind bracket" that is included with the Arlo Go OUTDOOR power supply.  The reasoning is if the outdoor power cord includes a bracket that prevents the power cable from disconnecting from the camera, then WHY NOT INCLUDE THE WIND BRACKET WITH THE SOLAR PANEL? 

The support agent was initially a brick wall and didn't understand my reasoning.  After repeating myself 10 times he finally agreed to put in a request to the warehouse if they could send me the brackets.  @JamesC This is what I mean by pulling teeth is easier than working with netgear support. 

In the meantime: 

• I visited the installation on Friday. 
  • Took pics of existing setup before any changes 
  • Replaced the battery with a charged replacement
  • Replaced the solar panel with a new solar panel ( from ATT) 
  • Added a new Arlo GO camera in the other end of the field
  • Moved the "defective" solar panel to the new camera location. 

Observations: 

• The original camera is online with a new solar panel.
  • The original camera not reporting any solar panel errors with the new solar panel
  • The original camera since the replacement battery always shows "100%" charged, but never showing "charging". I'm suspicious.
  • The new camera, that now has the "defective" solar panel, is working fine.  The charge varies from 88% to 95%.  It shows that it is charging when there is enough sunlight. There are no error messages regarding the solar panel. 
  • I am planning on returning to the camera on June 15th.  If there is a solar panel issue hopefully the batteries will last close to then. 

Questions: 

• If the solar panel was "defective" for one camera, why is it not defective for another camera? 
  • Why is the original camera ALWAYS showing 100% battery?  Even early in the morning its shows 100% before there is any sunlight for the solar panel to charge. 
  • Why is the wind bracket not included with the solar panel? 

@JamesC Please update my support case that I have additional comments here in community. 

Thank you

The following is a repeat of above with pictures, maybe an additional comment: 

An update

after 15 days Netgear support guessed determined the solar panel is defective and is sending me a replacement, which has not yet shipped.

In my phone conversations with support, I requested that they send me the "wind bracket" that is included with the Arlo Go OUTDOOR power supply.  The reasoning is if the outdoor power cord includes a bracket that prevents the power cable from disconnecting from the camera, then WHY NOT INCLUDE THE WIND BRACKET WITH THE SOLAR PANEL? 

wind.png

The support agent was initially a brick wall and didn't understand my reasoning.  After repeating myself 10 times he finally agreed to put in a request to the warehouse if they could send me the brackets.  @JamesC This is what I mean by pulling teeth is easier than working with netgear support. 

In the meantime: 

• I visited the installation on Friday. 
  • Took pics of existing setup before any changes 2018-05-25 19.12.13.jpg

2018-05-25 19.12.19.jpg

2018-05-25 19.13.13.jpg

2018-05-25 19.13.26.jpg

2018-05-25 19.13.37.jpg

• Replaced the battery with a charged replacement
  • Replaced the solar panel with a new solar panel ( from ATT) 
  • Added a new Arlo GO camera in the other end of the field2018-05-26 08.00.57.jpg

2018-05-26 08.01.09.jpg

2018-05-26 08.08.05.jpg

• Moved the "defective" solar panel to the new camera location. 

Observations: 

• The original camera is online with a new solar panel.
  • The original camera not reporting any solar panel errors with the new solar panel
  • The original camera since the replacement battery always shows "100%" charged, but never showing "charging". I'm suspicious.  Since the battery was replaced, it has NEVER shown anything other than 100% 100% battery.png

• The new camera, that now has the "defective" solar panel, is working fine.  The charge varies from 88% to 95%.  It shows that it is charging when there is enough sunlight. There are no error messages regarding the solar panel. 
  • I am planning on returning to the camera on June 15th.  If there is a solar panel issue hopefully the batteries will last close to then. 

Questions: 

• If the solar panel was "defective" for one camera, why is it not defective for another camera? 
  • Why is the original camera ALWAYS showing 100% battery?  Even early in the morning its shows 100% before there is any sunlight for the solar panel to charge. battery 2.png

• Why is the wind bracket not included with the solar panel? 

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm unable to add attachments to my support case 30112871 , so I'll add them here. 

Here's what I get when I attempt to add an attachment to my support case:

add_attachment.png

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

re: case 30112871 

I replaced the solar panel and the cable with the warranty replacement I received. 

I got this message: 

2018-06-17 14.32.43.png

This support case is now dragging on over a month now. 

Please advise

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC  I need an update to my support case 05562061 ASAP.  I've been promised a replacement camera yet none has been shipped nor has anyone called me. 

The replacement camera needs to arrive no later than 7/25/2018 

Please reply.  Thank you. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alien_scones,

I've requested a status update on your support case. An agent should reach out to you with more information as soon as possible.

JamesC

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC Still waiting.  

No calls or emails.  

There's a new case 40089067 for the RMA but no indication the replacement camera has been shipped. 

Is this the typical SLA to expect from Netgear support? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've requested another status update on your case. An agent should provide you with more information shortly.

JamesC

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

WHEN WILL ARLO SUPPORT GET ITS ACT TOGETHER? 

It took FOREVER to get an RMA for an Arlo GO Camera. 

The RMA email shows it will send an ARLO GO ATT camera. 

The RMA people shipped me the wrong camera, the Netgear Data provided ARLO GO Camera. 

I call A WEEK AGO.

This morning I just got an email clarifying WHICH CAMERA DID I SEND BACK TO ARLO? 

I Haven't sent any cameras back yet.   I'm awaiting instructions. 

I get an email from Ramon Suarez <r.suarez@netgear-support.com> - WHEN I REPLY THE EMAIL BOUNCES.

Your message to r.suarez@netgear-support.com couldn't be delivered.

r.suarez wasn't found at netgear-support.com.

So many calls. SO LITTLE RESULTS. 

MrsMay33
Initiate
Initiate
I feel that we have the same issues here. My ARLO solar panels that I bought with my cameras are all of a sudden, one by one telling me the same message that they are no longer compatible. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE. They are Arlo solar panels. And no, there has been no rain to malfunction them recently. And yes, they have been doing fine in all weather conditions thus far. I don’t understand why the long responses and lack of knowledge from support. However; if these panels do not get back online correctly or someone doesn’t answer me, I will get on Amazon where I purchased these and leave a review about these issues. For the support team to react this way to alien_scones is absolutely ridiculous! This should have instantly been taken care of by someone at Netgear. JamesC, (my opinion) you should have reached out to him directly, not just kept saying to him that someone “would” be contacting him. Ludicrous and very disappointing. I have done all the steps that alien_scones had advised his instructions were and replaced with fully charged batteries, and moved the solar panels around. All is connected correctly and snuggly. This makes no since. They are acting like my iPhone does when it’s plugged in with a NON apple cable. But these panels are ARLO!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It can still be a cable that's not seated properly. Until you try you'll never know.

MrsMay33
Initiate
Initiate
jguerdat Guru:

Hence my above sentence saying, all cables fitted correctly and snuggly. I have changed them all and moved them around. It would not be the cables when literally one at a time in the matter of a few minutes all popped up with this message. I have 4 of them and all of them got the message. And now they are not working. This is a firmware issue I’m sure and it needs corrected!
alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

It can still be a cable that's not seated properly. Until you try you'll never know.

Its possible, but the camera is not designed for the cable to be seated properly in the camera.  While the solar panel end of the cable "snaps" into the solar panel, the camera end of the cable will not snap in, nor will it stay secure without either a bracket, or held snugly with zip ties. 

See my earlier responses in this thread, you will see what I'm talking about in regards to the cable bracket. 

Dealing with Arlo and Arlo support is an excersise in extreme frustration and futility.  

I'm tired of dealing with off shore no-nothing first level support from Pakistan.  Nobody replies to the support portal when I update a case.  Nobody will give me any useful information on actually fixing the problem, or even that there is a problem / reliability issue with these cameras and solar panels.  

Also there's a "helpful" moderator around here that has been deleting some of my more insightful messages. 

If this camera setup actually worked I would buy 10 more cameras for our hunting areas.   Instead I'm looking at Cuddeback cameras and I will live without the live video.  

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MrsMay33 wrote:
jguerdat Guru:

Hence my above sentence saying, all cables fitted correctly and snuggly. I have changed them all and moved them around. It would not be the cables when literally one at a time in the matter of a few minutes all popped up with this message. I have 4 of them and all of them got the message. And now they are not working. This is a firmware issue I’m sure and it needs corrected!

I've replaced the camera, cable and the solar panel.  I've put dialectric grease in the plugs.  Same error. 

Frustrating. 

And more than 50% of the solar panel reviews on amazon have the same issue / error. 

I feel like a $1,000 sucker. 

Discussion stats
  • 47 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation