Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

The Charging Source Connected To The Camera Cannot Charge Your battery. Please Use An Arlo Power Ada

Discussion stats
  • 47 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

(Model VML4030 / Arlo GO LTE Camera ATT Version)

Today I get this message:

2018-04-26_14-16-46.png2018-04-26_14-50-58.png

I am using the genuine netgear/arlo solar panel.   As you can see it is currently clear and sunny.  The solar panel is facing mostly east to maximize daily sun exposure.  This installation is less than a week old.

I reviewed the solar troubleshooting steps.  I noticed that one step was to verify that the cable was securly snapped into the bottom of the solar panel.  I made sure of that at time of installation. 

I may note here that the power cable does not "snap" into place at the camera.  It's secure, its snug, but it doesn't "snap" into place.  I believe this to be a serious design flaw.  I used several zip ties and bailing wire to make sure that critters or wind wont disconnect the power cable.

My installation is 120 miles out.  I'm not planning on visiting the location for another 30 days.

My question is:  What should I consider defective?   The camera?  The battery?  The solar panel?  All of it?

Thank you.

47 REPLIES 47
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Don't forget that moisture may have gotten in and damaged the connectors when the issue first happened. That can only be resolved by opening a case with support here.
Artrose
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve had the incomparable charging device error on both the Arlo Pro and the Arlo go.  The only panel out of five straight out of the box that gave the error on 4 new cameras straight out of the boxes as well. I got a return on the one panel.  Now after 1 week a second panel is giving the error.  It has not rained and the humidity levels are at around 35%.  I’ve switched the panel to other cameras and they are getting the error as well.  I have rebooted the base station 2 times and I’m now holding the panel inside “to dry” ..(it hasn’t rained) to see if it works again.   Seems to need a firmware update.  Yes these panels are netgear (Arlo) panels.

MFinMO
Tutor
Tutor

I'm guessing you never have gotten your issue resolved?  We've been dealing with the same issues.  Our power cable from the solar panel to the camera corroded at the camera end & in talking with Arlo support via chat I'm told the only solution is to order a new solar panel, they apparently don't have any truly waterproof power cords that connect the panal and the camera.  I think we've resolved to just buying extra batteries and swapping them out...a complete PITA.

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm still going back and forth with support. They have been more responsive lately. I hope they are responsive for everyone else also.

I am still very disappointed with the camera and solar panel setup and reliability. No one will tell me exactly what the issue is or what to do to prevent it. I've put dialectric grease on both ends of the cables. That worked for a couple days and then got more error messages.

I've decided against purchasing any more of these cameras and I alerted my hunting buddies on various hunter forums to avoid headaches with this setup.

MFinMO
Tutor
Tutor

We also bought ours for our hunting club.  If you come across a better alternative/solution please post it.  I have Nest at home that I like better, but I haven't found anything else that is battery operated and runs off of cellular so that I can check it live.  

Artrose
Tutor
Tutor
The battery is at 100%. The error came back after a few hours connected to the camera. Hummmm... what to do?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open/use a case with support here. If it's faulty hardware, that's the only way to get it replaced.

BelindaSmith
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same incompatible message on my Arlo Solar Panel set up. It has been working fine for 3 weeks and now the battery just won't charge. Seems that there is definitely a critical defect with the solar panels. They are not fit for purpose and should be refunded to all. I will try to recharge the battery manually until my case is resolved.
ErikJHF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same Issues as above. I  alos TWO new (Arlo Go Mobile HD Security Camera (Bonus - Arlo Solar Panel) form Telstra) Cameras and one of them is doing this constantly.

I removed the battery and repleced it. That worked for a couple of days and now the same issue.

Arlo Error.JPG

Artrose
Tutor
Tutor

I had issues with 2 out of the 5 solar panels and finally sent them back for replacements through Amazon.  I’m up 100% now. No issues so far!

@jguerdat wrote:

Open/use a case with support here. If it's faulty hardware, that's the only way to get it replaced.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Good call. A swap of hardware is a faster method but only if you are still within the exchange period.

Ruskin
Star
Star

I am so annoyed with this. I purchased and installed the solar panel. It worked great for about an hour. Then clouds rolled in and I get the "The Charging Source Connected To The Camera Cannot Charge Your battery" error - which it seems is ridiculously common. There is no moisture with camera everything is hooked up correctly. Its only an hour old at this point. Get out the ladder again, back onto the roof. Unplug the cable from both pannel and camera. Works again. Says charging. Works for about 20 minutes then throws the error. Charge has dropped dramatically to 50%. Back up ladder, disconnect, reconnect etc. Sun is gone for the day so doesnt show any charging at all. Next day, ive got the same error again. I'm super annoyed as I live in Canada and bought this from Best Buy in the States when I was there last week. Now I cant return the item - which I would in a heart beat. Stuck with a $100 paperweight as its not working. Also annoyed because I've had nothing but issues with this camera and its inability to connect smoothly with Amazon Echo/Alexa. I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome from all my typing on the Arlo Community threads related to that issue. Most frustrating this is (other than wishing I'd never got started on the Arlo products) is the absolute lack of assistance from the Arlo tech folks. They are uber useless and seem to care a less.

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've given up on the solar panels and arlo go cameras.

Disconnect the solar panel and your battery will last 2 to 3 times longer. I have tested this out on my 2 arlogo cameras out in the field.

Good luck with the 1st level support lines in Pakistan. I think their primary job is to beat you down and give up instead of pursuing a solution , which will end up costing them $ and you patience.

My support cases are ignored or closed with out a solution.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @alien_scones,

I have sent over a PM if you have not heard back from our support team with your case not being resolved. 

Ruskin
Star
Star
Yeah it’s frustrating. My experience has been EXACTLY the same.
philblakely
Tutor
Tutor

There is a new production run of solar panels showing up.. It includes the wind braces, an extension for the mounting post, and a new label on the solar panel. "Do not disconnect wire, damage may result." I have 3 panels that work, but returned 4 that didn't. If the plug is prone to damage, that explains a lot. 

I am getting the charging error message today, but I am hoping it's because of the cold. 

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice
Exactly what is the context for "Do not disconnect...."?

What the hell is that? Where would the damage occur? Do you superglue the connectors so they dont come unplugged? What about when the camera needs to come down or moved?

This doesn't make sense, yet I am not surprised...
Ruskin
Star
Star
So I took the camera down and charged to 100%. Reconnected to the panel and it seems to be working....or st least I’m not getting the error message anymore. Shows it is charging BUT it seems to lose - no gain - charge each day.

Day one it says it’s at 100% while charging but when sun goes in and it’s no longer charging indicates it’s only 96%. Next day when charging says it’s at 100% but then dropped to 94% when sun goes in. Next day 100% indicated while charging but dropped to 90% when sun goes down and so on with me losing NOT gaining about 4% of charge each day. Strange as it shows 100% when sun out. So if I lose 4% per day I’ll be down to zero after 25 days. That’s worse than when I wasn’t using charger when I would would get about 45 days between battery charges.

Anyone else experience this? Shouldn’t the solar panel top up the battery each day to 100% then when the sun goes down my battery should continue to show 100% then draw power and decrease each day between charges during which it should top back up? Doesn’t seem the battery saves the extra charge each day. I’m beginning to think I’m going to havecto accept this solar panel is just junk.
philblakely
Tutor
Tutor

Everything went back to normal after the weather warmed up.

I have 3 solar panels that work. (2) on Arlo Go and (1) on a Pro 2. When they are working, they charge so effectively you won't have any doubts about it. I have had batteries as low as 7% (bad weather days) charge back up when the sun came back out. I have one Arlo Go setup that I have not touched for at least 6 weeks. 

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have two Arlo GO cameras in the same location. One is connected to a solar panel and one without.

The solar panel gets 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight.

After 9 days the solar panel camera battery level is 10%, the battery alone camera is at 70%.

YMMV but I am not alone with this problem.

sahnyc
Tutor
Tutor

They speak VERY BROKEN English and the phone connection is lousy,   They also keep repeating the same information/instructions.   Somehow with the Basic Plan, my battery was driained in 2-days.

sahnyc
Tutor
Tutor

How many times were you disconnected?  I counted 12 within 2-hours.

alien_scones
Apprentice
Apprentice

Some of you might be familiar with my earlier rants regarding the problems I've experienced regarding Arlo Go and the Solar Panels. 

Anyways a few months ago Arlo sent me replacement solar panels - that were obviously updated than the prior models - they included the cable clips and other enhacements that I have suggested. 

I reluctantly deployed the newer solar panels, expecting they would severly shorten the camera battery life as usual.  

Well, I am glad to testify that not only did I not experience rapid battery discharge, but the batteries stayed charged and remain charged. 

I need to add something here - I don't know if ARLO got the solar panels right or if the fixed the firmware to quit bitching about non-arlo solar panels.  I'm interested in other users feedback regarding this. 

Finally, congrats Arlo, you got something right. JHC its about GD time.  

I'm not going to remove my amazon reviews because nobody from Arlo bothered to contact me about my problems and experiences regarding the solar panel problems I've experienced. 

If anyone in ARLO is interested in increasing USABILITY please feel free to contact me.  

Anyways, I might actually buy some more ARLO GO cameras.  

When will they add BLUETOOTH to the ARLO cameras? 

Discussion stats
  • 47 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation