Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I'm not sure if this is really a camera problem or and app/system issue.

Goefencing for my Arlo Go camera stopped working recently.

I tried resetting the geofencing zone, changing sizes, to no avail.

The phone has location sharing, background refresh, etc. etc.

There is another user, same, all settings are good on the other phone.

Geofencing has been working for years at this location, no big changes done apart from switching the SIM in the Arlo Go Camera at the beginning of August (V-SIM shut down) and Geofencing worked ok after that.

I have to manually arm/disarm the camera and, a couple of days ago, even disarming the camera wouldn't do anything as I would get movement notification (and movie recordings) despite the camera being set as "disarmed".

Is there some software issue? Update needed?

28 REPLIES 28
Rj223
Star
Star

Mine is having same issues. All of a sudden just stopped working. Tried everything you listed as well and more to no avail. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still seeing this same behavior?

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

Until yesterday afternoon, yes.

I'll check again tomorrow morning.

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I checked yesterday. It still doesn't "sense" my location and I have to arm/disarm manually.

The app has location permissions on, etc.

Not sure if it is an iOS issue or anything, but I haven't changed any settings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@er-minio wrote:

Hi, I checked yesterday. It still doesn't "sense" my location and I have to arm/disarm manually.

The app has location permissions on, etc.

Not sure if it is an iOS issue or anything, but I haven't changed any settings.

I am seeing that also on my iPhone 12 mini.   The app definitely knows where I am (if I watch the "Edit" screen in arrive or leave, I can see my location move into and out of the radius).  But Arrive and Leave automations never trigger.

Skisnkeys2
Tutor
Tutor

Having the same problem after Arlo software update.  Checked the Arlo permissions on iPhone. Reset base station.  Reinstalled Arlo app.  I still have to manually switch to standby when home.

I did find one thing that may be a factor.  On the automations there is no “arrive”rule in the Arrive/Leave automation?

REALLY!!!??? Arlo makes major changes to the platform and doesn’t migrate something so fundamental???!!!

I will have an opportunity to test this live tomorrow.  Will post the results here.

This is ridiculous.  I have invested a lot in the Arlo system over the years and just bought another camera.  I was considering replacing all my older cameras with newer ones.  Maybe I should start looking at another system.  I can’t afford to waste my time on troubleshooting lousy software implementations.

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I can too confirm that my arlo app can correctly see my location (from the geofence edit screen) but trigger still doesn’t work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Skisnkeys2 wrote:

I did find one thing that may be a factor.  On the automations there is no “arrive”rule in the Arrive/Leave automation?

Are you saying you cannot add it?

Skisnkeys2
Tutor
Tutor

I added the “arrive” rule.  The rule is not getting triggered when I come home.  The “leave” rule is working.   The “arrive” rule is supposed to turn on standby.  It doesn’t.  I tested the rule manually.  The rule works.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Skisnkeys2 wrote:

I added the “arrive” rule.  The rule is not getting triggered when I come home.  The “leave” rule is working.   The “arrive” rule is supposed to turn on standby.  It doesn’t.  I tested the rule manually.  The rule works.

Thx for clarifying.  Did you double-check that the app is allowed to use mobile data?  (This only applies if you are using

• an iPhone or
  • Android with the data saver enabled.
Skisnkeys2
Tutor
Tutor

The first thing I checked was all the permissions.  I just checked again.   I guess a painful Arlo support call is in order.😁

Knuky
Tutor
Tutor

This Is real. I have this same issue. Have power cycled multiple base stations and still same issue. My guess is that if we rolled back to previous Arlo iOS App version it would all work again. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have let the development team know what behavior you are seeing. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you all please provide what firmware you are on for the Arlo app as well as what device you are using Android or iOS and the software version of that. Thank you. 

Skisnkeys2
Tutor
Tutor

SOLVED:

Hello all,

I am embarrassed to say that I figured out what the problem was.  Remember, there was no Arrive rule in my app only a Leave rule.  So I added the Arrive rule.  The problem was that I misinterpreted the street address in the settings and thought that controlled the geofencing location.  It does not.  The geofencing settings are in the rule.  Once I added the address info to the rule everything worked fine.

I am still hanging this on Arlo.  The migration team should have converted our data completely (ambiguous address data,  no arrive rule).  Then there wouldn’t be all these false reads.  Given this new release is such a change in user experience, they should have done a better job.  The functionality is very different and asking an end user to weed through multiple technical articles to get to the  needed information is unacceptable.

If you need any additional info or I am off base on this, just holler.

Thanks for the help.

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I have no rules on my app.

I can just set a geofencing ring.

And it still doesn't work.

Skisnkeys2
Tutor
Tutor

Which version of the software do you have?  This is what the dashboard on my app looks like.  It’s the newest version.

IMG_0022.png

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I have no idea. Mobile app on iOS, last update.

I am on the free version of the system (I don't need recording and/or ID), so most probably I have less functionality enabled.

Skisnkeys2
Tutor
Tutor

Then you likely have a different version of the app than I do.  Which means you have a different problem than I do.

i believe if you delete the app and redownload it you will get the new version.

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I’m on iOS. My system is a single Go camera.

App version: 5.0 (8269), from Aug 29th update.

Camera firmware:

1.096.3.2_1.8.65.0_16

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@er-minio wrote:

I have no idea. Mobile app on iOS, last update.

Do you see "Library" in your app menu?

Or do you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" instead?

Note the app supports both user interfaces, so reinstalling the app won't change what you see.

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I didn't reinstall the app.
The app is perfect as it is for my needs, I just need geofencing to start working again 🙂

I have the bottom navigation with 'devices', 'library', 'mode', 'settings'.

I've been using this system since 2020 and, despite the logo/name change, the app's UI has been largely untouched by all the updates. That's fine.

I posted the app version and camera firmware version as a response to post #15:https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Go/Geofencing-stopped-working/m-p/2418347#M6623

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@er-minio wrote:

The app is perfect as it is for my needs, I just need geofencing to start working again 🙂

I have the bottom navigation with 'devices', 'library', 'mode', 'settings'.

Good to know.  FYI, Arlo is slowly migrating everyone over to the newer "Feed" interface.  So it will change at some point, but there is no need to rush it.

One thing that I am not sure about - do you have an Arlo Secure subscription for the camera?  Or are you using the free 7-day cloud storage?

er-minio
Tutor
Tutor

I'm using the free tier as I don't need any recordings and/or face recognition or other features in the subscription.

Geofencing always worked on the free tier and I don't remember receiving any communications that it was being phased out for free users (I really hope they are not).

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation