Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

12v DC Adapter for Arlo Go for very remote locations where Solar Panel is not applicable

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jba32409
Follower
Follower

Request to have Arlo build a 12 volt adapter to charge cameras in very remote locations. Where the Solar panel is not applicable. 

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Very easy to do it yourself. Use a car USB charge adapter connected to a 12v battery. You can size the battery as you need.

RTW1
Tutor
Tutor

So I have a Arlo Go on a solar panel on ATT.  Its in a shady location and it gets cold here in Colorado.  The solar panel will not keep the Arlo charged so looking for options.  Your reply suggests the Arlo power is 12v DC and can be powered by any 12v USB charger.  Please confirm.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo power is 5v. The idea is to use a 12v battery to power a USB charger to supply that 5v.

RTW1
Tutor
Tutor

So I see many solar chargers for cell phones.  Would one of those work - some of them are rated highly as to MAh.  Whats the MAh of the Arlo solar charger? If I can beat that might work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RTW1 wrote:

Whats the MAh of the Arlo solar charger? 

MAh stands for Milliamp Hour - it's a measure of how much power a battery can store.  It doesn't apply to the Arlo solar panels, since they have no battery.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, the power supplied by the panel is likely rated in mAH so could be used to compare. I don't know the voltage or current rating of the Arlo panel - maybe someone else has tested.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Well, the power supplied by the panel is likely rated in mAH so could be used to compare.

That makes no sense.   It'd be like asking for the Watt Hour rating for your roof panels.  Watts makes sense, but not Watt Hours.

Power output in watts (or amps at a specific voltage) can be rated.  But you can't specify mAH for something that can't store power.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

True - didn't think about the hours part. The output of any panel is some sort of amperage, not amp-hours. Mea culpa.

silveira
Aspirant
Aspirant
Previous answer is wrong. I've tried it. You can not charge an Arlo camera from a car charger as it does not provide the required min 9v of power.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A homebrew or commercial 9v power supply connected to the battery should work. 5v should run the camera but not charge it.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation