Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Any way to improve quality for night vision. See image.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jkabush
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

What setting would you recommend to improve the quality of the image, especially at night? I work for a home builder company and we have recently purchased some Arlo Go for some of our communities that are under construction due to theft. Anyway, the quality at night is poor, I can see a car in the video but can't make out the type and I'm wondering if there is a way to improve the quality.

Example of a vehicle in one of our subdivisions late last night.

Image 2.jpg

Here are my settings.

Brightness is at 50%. I tried to increase it but all I would see is a bright light.

Motion is at 100%

Video Quality - Set to high

Now, the above camera is close to the ground, hoping to catch license plates. However, after watching the video last night, I would be lucky to get a description of the car.

Any recommendations that anyone could provide? Should be located the camera underneath a street light for better coverage? I know the local police department has had success with these cameras and I'm just wondering how we can have the same success.

Thank you.

James

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Picture not showing till approved...

But, most issues tend to be on the side of lighting.  The cameras night vision ( led IR ) is limited to what it can deliver as to range ( old inverse sq law ), max distance is prob 30 ft or so.

So you can add lighting if possible to solve your issues be it overt ( reg floods lights ) or covert ( 850nm IR lighting ).

Try some out to see how good it works in a test location.

(BTW, license plates prob are not going to happen as not enough rez due to compression )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jkabush
Tutor
Tutor

Would something like this improve my video quality at night?

https://www.amazon.com/Brinno-APL200-Activated-Infrared-Illuminator/dp/B010888STS

I need something that is portable as no power is available.

Yeah, I figured getting a clear picture of the licenses plate on video probably won't happen but at least a description of the vehicle would be helpful to the police.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The light you posted should be fine. There are many others, too.

The picture you posted appears to have moisture on the lens, blurring the view. A quick, careful wipe of the lens with a cloth that has a drop or two of something like RainX may help if the camera can't be angled down to help keep rain off the lens.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree... now seeing the pic, it appears the IR is reflecting/bouncing off and washing out the pic a bit thereby limiting view.

raindrops, condensation etc.

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation