Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Only One Camera Recordings Showing in Library

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
pfitzsim
Guide
Guide

I have 4 Arlo cameras and only one has recordings showing in the Library.  This started approximately one week ago.  I do not have a monthly subscription.  Furthermore in the last week my Arlo Essential Spotlight light only goes on for approx. 2 seconds at a time and there is no option to change the duration in device settings.  I have tried removing and deleting cameras already.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pfitzsim wrote:

I have 4 Arlo cameras and only one has recordings showing in the Library.  This started approximately one week ago.  I do not have a monthly subscription. 

Likely the trial subscriptions lapsed on the other three. Essentials definitely require a subscription to get any cloud storage. 

What model cameras are they?   All Arlo cameras will require a subscription for cloud storage by the end of this year.

pfitzsim
Guide
Guide

I have three H4's (one of which is recording to the Library) and one H9.  I have had the H4's for at least 4 years so I don't think it is a trial subscription issue, unless the trial was 4+ years.  I am not looking to have cloud storage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pfitzsim wrote:

I have three H4's (one of which is recording to the Library) and one H9. 

H4/H9 are hardware revisions, and don't tell you what the camera model is. (Several cameras re-use the same H revision numbers).

If the cameras open, you can open the housing and remove the battery - you will then see a label with the camera model inside.

It would also be useful to know if you can livestream the cameras.

@pfitzsim wrote:

I am not looking to have cloud storage.

The 7-day free storage is in the cloud.  It won't be free soon - two camera models will lose it on 1 April 2023, the others all lose it on 1 January 2024.

With most bases, locally stored recordings (on USB) can only be viewed by removing the USB device and plugging it into a PC.  You can see local recordings with VMB4540 and VMB5000 smarthubs, but that requires you to set up direct access - it is not done by default.

pfitzsim
Guide
Guide

Three of the cameras are Pro2 and the forth is Arlo Essential Spotlight.  My base is VMB4000r3.  So is the only way I can now access recorded video through the removal of the USB device?  Is it legal to sell a product as advertised with free storage and then change to a fee based model?  Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pfitzsim wrote:

Three of the cameras are Pro2 and the forth is Arlo Essential Spotlight.  My base is VMB4000r3.  So is the only way I can now access recorded video through the removal of the USB device? 

As far as the essential goes, yes.  All new camera models (starting with the Ultra back in 2018) do not come with free cloud storage (and were not advertised with that feature).  And the VMB4000 base has never supported viewing locally stored video through the app or the browser.

As far as the Pro 2 goes, you will lose the free cloud storage on 1 January 2024.  You should have received an email from Arlo in early January telling you that.

Upgrading the base to a VMB4540 is one path forward, as that does support direct access to local storage.  But there are a lot of limitations to direct access - the subscription offers a much better user experience.

pfitzsim
Guide
Guide

So if I still have cloud storage on my Pro 2 cameras why would 2 of the three no longer be showing up in the Library?  Videos from my Essential camera had been showing up in the Library up until the last couple of weeks.  I never received a notice from Arlo on any changes.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pfitzsim wrote:

So if I still have cloud storage on my Pro 2 cameras why would 2 of the three no longer be showing up in the Library?  

Can you livestream those two cameras?  If you can, then try making a manual recording while livestreaming, and see if that shows up in the library.

pfitzsim
Guide
Guide

Yes the two cameras can live stream and a recording does indeed show up in the library.  I don't see a record option while live streaming the Essential camera. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pfitzsim wrote:

I don't see a record option while live streaming the Essential camera. 

That's because you have no subscription for that camera.

@pfitzsim wrote:

Yes the two cameras can live stream and a recording does indeed show up in the library.  

Which means the cameras are recording, but no motion is being detected.  You should first check that the cameras are armed.  Look at the rules for the mode you are using with the base

If the cameras are armed, then first try removing the batteries for a couple of seconds, and then reinserting them.  That will reboot the camera.  If that still fails, then try power-cycling the base station (pulling the plug, and then reconnecting power).

You could also try the motion detection test. Although it seems unlikely that the PIR sensors would fail on both cameras, they have been disfunctional for a while, and possibly failed at different times.